Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post here. I'm new to the whole forum system so let me know if this needs to be somewhere else.
Recently completed a full lighting facelift on our 2011 LX and figured I'd show you all in case anyone has questions or is curious what can be done on these models.

Headlights:
Chrome headlights painted black, amber side reflector painted to match body Topaz color.
Side bulbs (park/turn) replaced with VLEDs Triton V6 3157CK white/amber switchbacks and low beam dimming mode to reduce glare
Low beams - projector swapped with Morimoto MLED 2.0 (low and high beam in one unit) with custom rose lens etching
High beams - DRL disabled by pulling fuse, Diode Dynamics SL1 swapped in place of factory bulb (essentially 4 high beam outputs now)
Black housing with body matched reflectors Rose lens etching on projectors Lows, highs, fogs on High beams + fogs

Low beams plus fogs: ↓
Low beam and fog light output

Fog lights:
Aftermarket housing + harness + switch kit with Diode Dynamics SLF Yellow bulbs.
Front view with just lows and fogs on

Taillights:
Upgraded to DEPO 14+ LED style taillights. Made a custom plug and play adapter harness with OE connectors so that it can be cleanly reverted if necessary.
Added red trunk garnish to replace the chrome.
GTR Ultra i-LED bulbs installed in brake and turn signal locations for maximal visibility in long distance or poor conditions.
3rd brake light modified with Diode Dynamics HD LED strip in red for a brighter and much more even band of light.
Reduced exposure to show LED brake and 3rd brake GTR turn signal bulbs use the chrome taillight very well to keep light visible anywhere Before and after the taillight swap

Interior lights all swapped with white Diode Dynamics LED boards or VLEDs bulbs.

Driving at night is an incredible difference from the stock system, and having a properly engineered LED projector setup rather than using plug and play bulbs in the original optics is much less annoying to oncoming traffic. For those who prefer HID to LED (there are definitely pros and cons) the Morimoto TL-R projector will bolt right up to the factory mount points. I plan on adding the 14+ Touring turn signal mirrors soon and some other quality of life improvements in the future so if any of this interest you let me know! And if you have any additional questions about this setup or want some made for yourself feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Yessirrr!

I have the "direct swap in" 4TLR projectors on my 2017 TE, don't like them.
Have the D2S projectors on my 3rd gen, nice and crisp cutoff and beam pattern.

Any pics how you mounted the projectors in the housing?

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have the "direct swap in" 4TLR projectors on my 2017 TE, don't like them.
Have the D2S projectors on my 3rd gen, nice and crisp cutoff and beam pattern.

Any pics how you mounted the projectors in the housing?
The D2S HID system is definitely nicer than the 4TLR regardless of bulb/ballast setup, I had the TLR system on our previous 06 Pilot and was disappointed by the distance and step size. Only big benefit of the TLR over stock is of course that you get a movable shutter for extra high beam light.

The MLED 2.0 bolted directly in with a TLR to G5 adapter plate. Didn't think to take photos unfortunately but the depth of the middle adapter plate was perfect to move this projector back far enough. It needs some extra space since this is a 3" diameter lens over the factory 2.5".

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,934 Posts
Can you post up a beam shot of just the low beam projectors? I've been tossing around the idea of retrofitting another one of my cars... (our TE Odyssey already has HIDs, which are bright enough for my needs)

-Charlie

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post up a beam shot of just the low beam projectors?
Will take it out tonight and get some wall shots as well as a downroad photo or two if I can.

Nice light upgrades. I like the look of the yellow fogs. Thanks for the detailed post. Adding another LED strip into that garnish trim would flow with those tail lights?
I agree, the yellow fogs look nice. They seem to help a lot in fog or rain around here as well. I would love to add an LED accent into the center garnish to tie in the tail lights but it's a very tricky process. I may buy a second garnish to experiment with but we will see.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,934 Posts
I would love to add an LED accent into the center garnish to tie in the tail lights but it's a very tricky process.
This is on my wish list too... there should be a diffused LED/EL strip that should work, but getting it in/through the garnish lens would be interesting, along with matching brightness to the parking lights.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is on my wish list too... there should be a diffused LED/EL strip that should work, but getting it in/through the garnish lens would be interesting, along with matching brightness to the parking lights.
The factory LED parking lights are not LED strips but end lit acrylic tubes, so to really match look and brightness well the same technique would need to be used. EL wire would be far too dim and narrow, and an LED strip (diffused or not) would be the right thickness but probably too bright and look out of place compared to the factory optics.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you post up a beam shot of just the low beam projectors?
Got a few comparison photos tonight. The halogen photos are from my '15 Fit LX - not a perfect comparison but I felt it would help to have some kind of OEM halogen reference.

Wall shots ~30 feet: (taken at 3200ISO, 1/125 shutter, 5000K WB)
Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive design Tints and shades Sky

Downroad comparisons: (same photo specs)
Automotive lighting Road surface Midnight Tints and shades Electricity Automotive lighting Street light Midnight Tints and shades Headlamp
Downroad comparisons: (same photo specs with shutter changed to 1/15)
Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Headlamp Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Road Tints and shades

Took these going about 50 mph just on auto settings, camera doesn't do the visible distance justice. Cutoff is always very clean too, no flashing from other drivers. I feel however the beam pattern is plenty wide even without the fog lights.
Lows only
Window Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Mode of transport
Lows and highs
Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Plant Window

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big props for doing a proper retrofit and not just throwing in some bright ass leds in the oem projector housing. Looks great and thanks for the write up!
Thank you! I've done that on previous cars but over the years I've dived a lot deeper into lighting through my side business so now I know the difference. And there's a real benefit going to a quality retrofit in terms of long distance throw that most people don't seem to realize is missing with plug-and-play LEDs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those LED projectors put out a good amount of light! Looks impressive.

3rd brake light modified with Diode Dynamics HD LED strip in red for a brighter and much more even band of light.
How's the quality on those HD strips?
I've thought about putting led strips in the front so I don't have to use the DRLs but I'm unsure of where and how it will ultimately look. I've done a couple retrofits before and I know how much work it takes. I'd hate to go back in again if it ends up failing or just ugly overall. Vehicles like the RX50 use individual LEDs for DRLs while the Audis use sequential SMDs... I think. I wonder which is better longevity.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How's the quality on those HD strips?
I've thought about putting led strips in the front so I don't have to use the DRLs but I'm unsure of where and how it will ultimately look. I've done a couple retrofits before and I know how much work it takes. I'd hate to go back in again if it ends up failing or just ugly overall. Vehicles like the RX50 use individual LEDs for DRLs while the Audis use sequential SMDs... I think. I wonder which is better longevity.
In my experience the Diode Dynamics HD LED strips are second to none. Reliability and brightness are the best on the market compared to other options like Profile or cheaper eBay/Amazon LED strips. Much denser, even appearance too. I only used them in the 3rd brake here but have done a lot of other headlight builds with them as parking light strips or turn signals. They don't make a sequential version though.

The OEM individual LED modules last a really long time because they great heat dispersion and use optics that make just a few LEDs go a long way so they don't need to be overdriven.
For my build I just disable the factory DRLs and left it at that. There's really no good place on the internal headlight bezel to mount an LED strip and have it look clean on the outside - too much curvature and weird angles. I think it could be done with the right products but it was more time than I wanted to spend, and I didn't have a second set of headlights to goof around with. The LED sequential tubes from XKGlow are fairly bright, and flexible enough to work, but have the opaque white look when off and don't have the best long term reliability in my experience.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my experience the Diode Dynamics HD LED strips are second to none. Reliability and brightness are the best on the market compared to other options like Profile or cheaper eBay/Amazon LED strips. Much denser, even appearance too. I only used them in the 3rd brake here but have done a lot of other headlight builds with them as parking light strips or turn signals. They don't make a sequential version though.

The OEM individual LED modules last a really long time because they great heat dispersion and use optics that make just a few LEDs go a long way so they don't need to be overdriven.
For my build I just disable the factory DRLs and left it at that. There's really no good place on the internal headlight bezel to mount an LED strip and have it look clean on the outside - too much curvature and weird angles. I think it could be done with the right products but it was more time than I wanted to spend, and I didn't have a second set of headlights to goof around with. The LED sequential tubes from XKGlow are fairly bright, and flexible enough to work, but have the opaque white look when off and don't have the best long term reliability in my experience.
Thanks for all that info. good to know since I was comparing them to the Profiles. leaning towards just leaving them alone since it is my daily and no second headlight to mess with like you said. I have OEM HIDs so I wouldn't buy another set anyways. I've seen videos of people just slapping them on the outside of the lens but I don't think that is smart for longevity. A user on the forum installed Philips Daylight 8 DRL and it looks decent. its been discontinued and replaced with daylight 9 but reviews I've read say they burn out. I hate the highs as DRLs on the van and annoyed that I cant even use the OEM fogs as DRLs since they only come on with the low beams.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,934 Posts
Hope that helps!
It does! The big concern with most of the aftermarket projectors is too much foreground illumination, which fools you into thinking they are brighter while hurting actual long distance visibility...

-Charlie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife has 16 touring. Headlight output is terrible. How hard was it to do the projector swap? Was it time consuming? any special harness or adaptors required? I don't wrench on vehicles much, but am comfortable with a little tinkering. Just don't want to get in over my head on a project only to find out I can't do it.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey LX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How hard was it to do the projector swap? Was it time consuming? any special harness or adaptors required?
Tough for me to accurately say... I've been building headlights for years so the process is easy for me. Opening the stock headlights is pretty simple and the sealant is not hard to work with. Good headlights for a beginner to get into. Projector swap internally is extremely simple because brackets exist to make the conversion an easy bolt-in. Much simpler than majority of retrofits. Biggest factor is time... I'd expect a project even as straightforward as this to take a couple days for someone who is just starting off. More if you decide to paint anything inside.
No antiflicker or relay harness needed for my '11. Shouldn't need them on yours either, unless you leave the high beam DRL active. I disabled mine so there's no worry of the LED high beams flickering during daytime driving.
If you would rather have them built for you and not risk goofing something up, I'm happy to give you my best rates to do the swap, test everything, reseal them well, keep it all secure and clean. You can either ship your stock headlights to me for a week or two, or I can buy a new set if you feel like splurging. These particular projectors (MLED 2.0) are pretty pricey on their own, but there are other options that perform almost as good for a lower cost as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts