Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A crazy squirrel got into our 2015 Oddy, and completely chewed out the wiring to the passenger side headlights and turn lights. Is it somewhat possible to DIY fix it? All the wiring seems to be one giant bundle zip-tied together so no idea where to begin.

The windshield washer tubing was also chewed and cut... but I was able reach the cut-ends and fix it with Gorilla tape.

If not DIY, how much would I be looking at from dealer (in Cdn) to fix the wiring?

Thanks

Turn signal light at top of pic:
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Black Tread

Headlight
Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,934 Posts
If not DIY, how much would I be looking at from dealer (in Cdn) to fix the wiring?
The dealer would likely suggest a whole new harness for the section that got eaten, and likely would be charging something like $1k for it...

This should be an easy DIY. All the wires will have different colors, so you just need to match like with like and solder it back together - assuming you have enough length to work with. Heat shrink, re-tape and loom and it'll be fine for as long as you own it.

-Charlie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer would likely suggest a whole new harness for the section that got eaten, and likely would be charging something like $1k for it...

This should be an easy DIY. All the wires will have different colors, so you just need to match like with like and solder it back together - assuming you have enough length to work with. Heat shrink, re-tape and loom and it'll be fine for as long as you own it.

-Charlie
Darn the price is def not I want to hear but not that surprising. "Whole new harness" would be the whole bundle of wires that go through all the lights, or perhaps more I guess?

There isn't enough length with the chewed wires. Like the wires going into the turn signal (first pic) are pretty much chewed right to the socket. So unless the socket itself can re-insert a new wires, it seems need that replace. The headlight wires are also pretty badly chewed up.

Also would seem I need to take out the bumper as won't be much room to work with.

·
Administrator
14,201 Posts
Look into the harnesses chewed up and see how much the harnesses are at Honda and take it from there.

If this happened to me, I would go to the farthest location of the chewing and cut the harness there and re-run new wire from there. If there is anything left at the socket end, re-use or else get a good quality aftermarket pigtail and solder it and shrink wrap it and then put on the black corrugated loom. You should be able to purchase all the parts plus the wires needed. You just need to be careful and not switch the wires around which should be fairly easy to pay attention to and DIY.

Reactions: whyandrew

·
Administrator
14,201 Posts
Worst case scenario, order the connectors from a salvage yard I suppose.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,934 Posts
Worst case scenario, order the connectors from a salvage yard I suppose.
Honda sells the connectors with short pigtails already attached for the connectors near the front and rear of the vehicle for use in accident repair. For the place where the wires were chewed at the connector, that will probably be the most efficient. It would also be possible to get new parts for terminating new wires at the connector, but that requires an expensive specialized crimper...

-Charlie

Reactions: dvpatel

·
Administrator
14,201 Posts
Honda sells the connectors with short pigtails already attached for the connectors near the front and rear of the vehicle for use in accident repair. For the place where the wires were chewed at the connector, that will probably be the most efficient. It would also be possible to get new parts for terminating new wires at the connector, but that requires an expensive specialized crimper...

-Charlie
Nice !!! Even better. I would use Honda connectors in that case. It is worth asking the dealer if they'd patch things v/s replacing the harness in that case given that Honda sells the connectors precisely for the patching part. But, I am not sure if the dealer would be willing to do the said wiring work.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,934 Posts
Nice !!! Even better. I would use Honda connectors in that case.
I suppose I should actually post up how to find the part numbers:

Select your year/vehicle, then go to Electrical/Heater/Fuel, then Electrical Connectors (FR) to find the repair plugs and pigtails.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
A suggestion: as alluded to above, this kind of work is often done as a result of a collision. I would check with a good collision shop for suggested approach/estimate. Their labor rates also tend to be lower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts