Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Ody Lovers! For your viewing pleasure... Headlights, Lighting Health and Safety.

Headlights
3 years ago. When I first got my Tacoma, I had difficulty driving it at night. The bulbs were standard bulbs and the Lens were a bit faded and oxidized. Astigmatism and Oncoming cars headlights would render me basically blind that i would have to slow down... Not really a safe thing to do on fwy speeds... So I started my research to make it better.

First thing I learned was not to look into the light. but keep it just in my field of vision so it wont blind me too much, i focus on the road ahead a bit to the right or the tail light of the car i am following, plus an eye on the lines on the road to make sure I'm still in my lane.

Next, the Headlights, My research led me to Philips Xtreme Power bulbs and the Novus Plastic Polish, another item is the 3M scotchgard plastic film which i havent done yet. I never tried the Sylvanias but i did try the OSRAM nightbreakers, the OSRAMs didnt last as long as the Philips so i stopped using them.

Philips xtreme power bulbs defnitely shone brighter (purportedly 80% more) and helped me see ahead of the road specially even with oncoming headlights glaring in my eyes. It uses standard wattage 60/55w (9003) It reaches even the overhanging fwy signs now at least a quarter of a mile away and lights them up that i have enough time to read them. Outside of the city, in the lonely dark roads. I see farther and better and still can distinguish colors. Most importantly, the bulbs are a perfect match to the headlamps of my Tacoma and also my Civic, You can see the light pattern when you drive up to a wall, lower flat on the left and angled high to see pedestrians on the right. I never had someone flash me because i am blinding them. These bulbs are built not to last tho. 1400 hrs i believe but i've had them for 3 years now on my tacoma and no issues as of yet. I do have to replace a burned out passenger side bulb on my civic every year or so but that i believe is another matter. probably a ground and/or vibration issue.

The Novus Plastic polish also helped a lot in making my lens clearer. it not 100% perfect but its good enough. My only gripe is i have to polish the lens again every 3 - 6 months. anyone used anything better? I've been wanting to add on the 3M scotchgard Film but i heard this may also be illegal altho why i dont understand. someone enlighten me?

I've lately been thinking of converting to HID since they have become so affordable lately but searching the forums, I found out they are both illegal and probably unsafe in non projector type assemblies. As such, i'll stick to my current setup. If you choose HIDs, please use the correct ones and align them properly so we dont have accidents.

Lighting, Health and Safety

Here are two main links that i believe everyone who is considering a headlight upgrade and lighting in general should read.

Lighting Expert, Daniel Sterns site re: HID Lamps, but his site has more info re: lighting of course
HID Lamps

As a part-time newbie astronomer. I came across a resource that might, indirectly, help you decide properly on the kinds of lighting/headlights to use. lots of good condensed Health and Safety info. also a lot of links for even more info.
February 7th: Hey, Light, Get Off of My Lawn!

Thank You for Reading.

CK

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
CK, I was about to pull the trigger on an HID "kit" for the OEM headlights on my 2003 EX, but a recent comparison ride in a similarly equipped truck changed my mind.

A friend added 35W HID bulbs and ballasts to his newer 2WD Chevy Silverado. They are not projectors, just regular Chevy headlamps with the HID kit. At first I was impressed by more light. What I also noticed is that we ended up seeing less of the things you look for just off to the sides of the roads in our area due to the dark roads: deer, pedestrians in dark clothing, etc. It seemed some of the glare made it back to the driver and passenger (me, in this case), and it actually ruined our night vision in a big way. We drove in my 2003 Ody with Osram Hyper bulbs (65/70W), and actually saw a little more to the sides plus more easily saw stuff much further out (past the main illumination area). Don't get me wrong; where the HID's threw more light directly in front of us, you could definitely see a lot more. It's everywhere else that was the problem.

Even with them aimed low, we regularly had other drivers flash us with their highbeams, and always at certain points over and over again that corresponded to specific distances and angles off from us. Kind of like the conventional reflector paired with an HID bulb had multiple spots that radiated like individual concentrated beams spitting off in several discrete directions where they weren't supposed to go.

I'm guessing he got 7,500K bulbs due to the blue tint. We couldn't really see the blue from the truck, but man was it annoying when viewed from the business end.

He changed back to conventional bulbs for safety purposes, plus police really are pulling people over...it's not a rumor. The worst part is, some of the locales around here make you park it, give you a ticket, and then tell you to use your cell phone to get a ride home...I guess they really don't want you driving any more at night with an HID bulb in a regular headlight after they've pulled you over.

Oh, my Osram Hyper's both burned out recently. Back to OEM 9003 (H4) bulbs for now.

I think if I want to go HID legally, I will have to fit a no-kidding projector made to operate with a gas discharge bulb (HID). Sounds pricey.

OF

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi OF!

How are you? I'm glad to hear from you. :)

I'm also glad that you had a chance to test out the HIDs with a friend before you decided on your own. I'm guessing he actually got the 6000K chinese ones. Their color are usually not precise. I see them on ebay now for as low as $36 a set for the Ody. its so ridiculously cheap that its making it almost impossible to resist. :)

I was reading some days ago about how our eyes are not so sensitive to blue, in the sense that, they dont close the pupil, unlike yellow. which is also why we get more glare with blue light. plus, as i am finding out, with age. i lose more and more, the ability to adjust to darkness and/or light quickly. Looking at the PC monitor almost 18hrs a day doesnt really help either.

Did you have to upgrade your wiring when you used OSRAM Hypers? are they better than the Philips Xtreme Power? I tried googling for a comparison but didnt find any.

Also, please let me know if you find a good, reasonably priced, projector headlight for our 2nd gen Ody. :D

Cheers!

CK

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Blue Bulbs

I wanted to add to the thread here, a bit more info about Blue bulbs lights from the Daniel Stern site

(Unacceptable Blue Bulbs)

CK

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
CK, the Osram Hypers did not require a wiring upgrade, since it was an increase of only 10 watts. However, I did have to aim them down by turning the vertical adjustment one revolution with a #2 Phillips screwdriver to get the same beam throw on my garage wall.

The light produced was a very warm, daytime-type light with good illumination everywhere, and no glare. No annoyed drivers flashing their high beams, ever. Like having an extra set of OEM bulbs operating at the same time, especially noticeable in rain and snowstorms.

On the negative side, I did not get 2 years of life out of them. At least they lasted much longer than the experiences others have posted regarding Silverstars, and the Osram Hyper doesn't have that blue tint.

Still looking for a good headlight alternative. I wish Philips made an HIR variant of the 9003 (H4) bulb like they do for the 9006 (low beam) and 9005 (high beam) bulbs seen in quad setups:

HIR Headlight Bulbs

These use a visible light-transparent coating at the bulb top to reflect a portion of the generated IR energy back to the filament...making it run hotter, and thus brighter. This efficiency gain has the benefit of better tungsten circulation through the pressurized gas in the glass bulb capsule, enhancing filament life significantly. All this is done at stock wattages, and the net heat effects are the same (same power in watts over time, same heat transfer numbers).

OF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts