Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in my 2005 van this morning and the headlights will not turn on. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I'm assuming it is a ground somewhere but I'm not sure where to start looking for the ground location. Maybe its the same location as my radio ground too since the light on the radio seams to be fading in and out too. 305,000 miles and I'd like to keep it going. Any help on ground locations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Check the obvious things first:
Are your battery terminals tight?
Is the battery charged?
Are the headlight bulbs burned out?

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
406 Posts
Got in my 2005 van this morning and the headlights will not turn on. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I'm assuming it is a ground somewhere but I'm not sure where to start looking for the ground location. Maybe its the same location as my radio ground too since the light on the radio seams to be fading in and out too. 305,000 miles and I'd like to keep it going. Any help on ground locations would be appreciated.
Just as the previous poster said, start with the battery. Follow the negative cable to the place where it is connected to the frame/engine. There should be multiple connections on a ground post. You might have to remove them, then clean each one and the bottom from rust or corrosion. There should be one more stud under the hood. There at least one stud on each side under the dash. The ground wires are numbered GXXX. Make sure to replace the lock washer when putting the wires back on the stud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just as the previous poster said, start with the battery. Follow the negative cable to the place where it is connected to the frame/engine. There should be multiple connections on a ground post. You might have to remove them, then clean each one and the bottom from rust or corrosion. There should be one more stud under the hood. There at least one stud on each side under the dash. The ground wires are numbered GXXX. Make sure to replace the lock washer when putting the wires back on the stud.
I’ve checked all of the obvious things. I’ve read other forums about grounding issues. If anyone has any insight on the best place to find ground locations in a 2005 Honda odyssey that would be helpful.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We used a voltmeter and saw that our headlight ground connection at the connector was bad. We spliced the ground to the chassis of the frame to resolve the issue. The first time, it was the passenger side headlight. A few years later, the driver side headlight had similar issue and we spliced it again. We were told that the ground is below the radiator, near the drive side, which can rust and is a frequent grounding issue.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I’ve checked all of the obvious things. I’ve read other forums about grounding issues. If anyone has any insight on the best place to find ground locations in a 2005 Honda odyssey that would be helpful.
If both of your headlights are out at the same time, it is doubtful it is grounding as left and right headlights have different ground points.

In this picture #9 and #17 are grounding points for headlights on right and left side.
Font Slope Parallel Circle Diagram

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If both of your headlights are out at the same time, it is doubtful it is grounding as left and right headlights have different ground points.

In this picture #9 and #17 are grounding points for headlights on right and left side.
View attachment 163864
That’s a good point. I guess I assumed that they both shared the same ground. I’ll check these locations and eliminate that as one possibilities. But what else do you think it could be? It’s just weird, they worked yesterday and then this morning nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We used a voltmeter and saw that our headlight ground connection at the connector was bad. We spliced the ground to the chassis of the frame to resolve the issue. The first time, it was the passenger side headlight. A few years later, the driver side headlight had similar issue and we spliced it again. We were told that the ground is below the radiator, near the drive side, which can rust and is a frequent grounding issue.
So did you just splice into the grounds for the headlights or did you run a new wire?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Depends on the problem. Clean the ground connections first. If you have an open connection to the body ground, then splice in a new wire.
Among the obvious things you checked, you checked the headlight relay? Are you getting voltage to the headlight sockets?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depends on the problem. Clean the ground connections first. If you have an open connection to the body ground, then splice in a new wire.
Among the obvious things you checked, you checked the headlight relay? Are you getting voltage to the headlight sockets?
I took off the grounds sanded the surfaces and cleaned up the threads and reconnected everything. Then checked the low beam bulbs both were blown. Put in new bulbs and Wala let there be light. Thanks for everyone’s input.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I’ve checked all of the obvious things.
Be sure to add: "Check bulbs" to your list of obvious things! :giggle:(y)
Radio bulb totally separate and unrelated issue!

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It’s almost always the obvious things like burned out bulbs. You often don’t notice when one burns out until the other one burns out.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Human behavior question. Let's do a little recap:

The first response (post #2) reminded OP to check the obvious, including burned out bulbs.

OP's reply (post #4) said he had checked the obvious, by implication including the three items on the list in post 2. He wanted wiring diagrams.

Various people tried to help, with on-point suggestions.

In the end, it turns out OP had skipped one of the basics, and blown off the suggestion to verify that the bulbs were not burned out.

Can someone explain: Why do people ask for help, and then dismiss and ignore people who make sincere efforts to do so? Just another flavor of confirmation bias?

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
I moderate a support forum and this is really nothing new.

"I have a unique problem"

proceeds to describe problem that has dominated the forum and is not unique at all

·
Registered
797 Posts
I moderate a support forum and this is really nothing new.

"I have a unique problem"

proceeds to describe problem that has dominated the forum and is not unique at all
Don't forget "I searched and could not find this particular issue"
Proceeds to describe the issue - copy paste his subject line and tons of thread pops up.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
"Please verify that your frammis is plugged in, and the switch is in the On position."

"Of course it is. Do you think I'm an idiot? Here, I'll show you!"

---- click------

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My first support call in the days of mainframes and minis:
"The computer's down!"
:oops:? (I didn't know anybody else was on this system! Or what they'd be running!)
What does it say on the screen?
"mm.. please enter yes or.. Oh! Never mind!" click!
1st support call- success! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts