Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on a full blown video install. (Because we intend to own the Odyssey for a decade, the budget is pretty wide open.)

I'm trying to decide whether to go with monitors in driver and front passenger headrests or a single roof mount.

I think the headrest monitors look sharper but the problem is their shape. The rounded backs don't look like they would work well with monitors.

Any suggestions?

Also, I'm thinking of going with Clarion as a brand. They seen to have a full line of video stuff that's reasonably priced. Any comments on their equipment?

·
Registered
10 Posts
IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO DUE A FULL VIDEO INSTALL. I PERSONAL HAVE NOT FOUND ONE VIDEO SCREEN TO WORK BETTER THAN THE NEXT THE ONLY OPINION YOU NEED TO REALIZE IS YOUR OWN GO TO A PLACE THAT HAS DISPLAYS A NUMEROUS AMOUNTS OF SCREENS AND CHOOSE WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE ALSO CHECK WHICH DIRECTION THE LCD SCREEN GOES BECAUSE EVERY SCREEN WILL GO DARK FAST IN ONE DIRECTION MAKE SURE IF YOU USE ROOF MOUNTED SCREENS THAT THEY DONT DARKEN COMING DOWN ALSO ONE ADVANTAGE OF ROOF MOUNTING IS YOU CAN GO TO A FABRIC STORE AND COVER THE MOUNT SO THAT PEOPLE CAN NOT SEE THEM RIGHT AWAY (IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THEFT OF THEM)

SCREEN SIZE WILL DIFFER FOR EACH PERSON ME PERONALLY CHOOSE A PIONEER 7" FOLD OUT IN DASH SCREEN FOR THE FRONT PASSENAGER AND MY SELF AND IN THE BACK CHOOSE 2 6.4" ACCELL DROP DOWN SCREENS FOR THE REST OF THE PEOPLE THEY IN THE BACK (THEY ARE ABLE TO BE MOUNTED IN THE ROOF WITHOUT DISTURBING THE REAR VIEW MIRROR BUT I HAD CHOOSIN TO REMOVE THE HEAD BOARD TO DUE TO PROPER INSTALLING ALSO I HAVE CHOOSIN THE ACCELL AUDIO/VIDEO SPLITER SO THAT EACH SCREEN CAN PLAY DIFFERENT ITEMS(DVD VCR DREAMCAST AND SOON NAV.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jsan11:
I found this site while I was looking for monitors http://www.tundraelectronics.com/Pyle/LCDs/plvhr5.htm. I haven't decided what I'm going to do. I plan to install to 5 inch monitors on both headrest. I also plan to buy the decoder "VideoOnMyNavi" so that I can play movies on my navigation system. Take a look at this site, they have several selections. Good luck.</font>
I am very interest in the decoder product but I couldn't find it. Could you tell me where to find more information on it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hip:
Lorax,
KIs this what you are looking for?
http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000346.html
</font>
Yes. I was hoping that there was something like that available when we purchased the van with navi. $200 seems way too expensive for just a simple adapter and switch though.

Using your lead, I've done some research. It seems that the monitor for the Honda Navigation System, like most other navigation systems, uses/requires an RGB signal from the navigation device. (I believe that this may have something to do with the "computer-based" foundation of navigation systems generally.)

However, most other video sources (DVD players, TV tuners, cameras) produce NTSC signals (either composite or s-video).

To use the monitor on the navigation system for other video sources requires an NTSC-to-RGB decoder.

I have found that Pioneer makes such a product (AVC-RGB1). The MSRP is $140, but I have found at least one retailer selling it for $100.

It may be possible to use this to use the display for other video sources.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the detailed signal standards. I welcome any comments on the feasibility of using this product in this manner. I think switching from the navigation unit to the other video source probably needs to be handled just right to work.

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 03-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 03-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 03-29-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts