Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed the headunit to a Pioneer masterunit with a 7" retractable screen. I have a few questions regarding the amp of the system. My headunit has a power rating of 45 x 6, 4 channel for the speakers, one for center speaker, and one for subwoofer. Suppose I connect the 4 channel to my stock speakers normally and then add a subwoofer. How much power do I actually get from the headunit to the subwoofer ? I don't think 45w is enough, but it says it is able to run a subwoofer without an external amp. I am so confused !!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I'm assuming you have an AVM-P9000R, correct? Though I have no direct experience with this unit or Pioneer A/V units, I'm assuming they use the same Mosfet 45 ICs as in their other head units.

Here are the specs:
45Wx6 Max/Ch
22W/Ch RMS 50-15KHz, 5% THD

What this means is that the amp section really is not ideal for sub use, but could be fine, depending on the application.

Now I could really confuse you, but the bottom line is this:
1) what are your expectations for how loud and how deep your low end will be?
2) what exact subwoofer setup are you planning on using?

Answer these two questions and I can provide some good direction. If you are looking to shake windows using small woofers in a sealed box, forget it. If you wanna throw a big multi-order bandpass enclosure in the back with some larger size drivers, for good effect, that's very doable. Obviously, there's ALOT of middle ground.

IMHO, I'm always conservative in powering subs.. I power subs with 2x-10X power depending on the setup(really). I usually like a very purist type of sound and I tend to prefer medium to larger drivers in small sealed boxes. This usually requires alot of amp power for reasonable SPLs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Oops! Sorry I missed this earlier.

Not a bad sub, fairly efficient, but again, what are your expectations? You'll probably get performance that is comparable to say an 8" or low end 10" (powered) bazooka tube with this setup. That could be plenty if you are not a bass enthusiast. But make sure the rest of the system has decent mid-bass capability; with a bandpass enclosure, the sub will sound overly boomy and "loose" if you don't. Also, not sure about the 9000, does it have a built in crossover? That is essential to keep the BP box from "buzzing"... And with bandpass enclosures, I tend to recommend subsonic filters to prevent amp clipping, bottoming out the drivers, etc... Even more true if you had a vented box, and not bandpass.

My advice, there are PLENTY of JL Audio dealers out there that sell these boxes by the dozen. Visit your local shop and throw one in your car to do an in-car audition. Then you'll know for sure. Get an experienced guy to help you though, and be wary of positioning/in car acoustics in regards to how this puppy will perform. Very important. I've found JL boxes to not work well in every car.....

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 02-27-2002).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts