Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a bit chilly here in PA the last few days. This A.M. I had the kids in the second row of our '01 GG LX, they wanted the heat turned on to the second row overhead vents. They turned their switch( the one mounted behind the driver on the ceiling) to the RED (heat) position, then turned the fan on. I, in the mean time turned the (RR Dial) to the right (towards the RED marks) in addition to directing heat to the front floor. In this configuration warm air would only blow out of the 3rd row overhead vents. I had the kids check to see if their vents were turned off, they were not, if I changed from Heat to A/C up front they received air flow. Am I doing something wrong, or is it that I can't get heat to flow out of the 2nd row vents.

I did get my Owners Manual out and read the section on Ventilation, it did not describe what I am trying to accomplish.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rakmann:
It's been a bit chilly here in PA the last few days. This A.M. I had the kids in the second row of our '01 GG LX, they wanted the heat turned on to the second row overhead vents. They turned their switch( the one mounted behind the driver on the ceiling) to the RED (heat) position, then turned the fan on. I, in the mean time turned the (RR Dial) to the right (towards the RED marks) in addition to directing heat to the front floor. In this configuration warm air would only blow out of the 3rd row overhead vents. I had the kids check to see if their vents were turned off, they were not, if I changed from Heat to A/C up front they received air flow. Am I doing something wrong, or is it that I can't get heat to flow out of the 2nd row vents.

I did get my Owners Manual out and read the section on Ventilation, it did not describe what I am trying to accomplish.

</font>
The second row heat comes from under the front seats. Check to make sure the vents are not blocked by the carpet. On my new 2002 Ex the passenger side vent was ok, the one under the drivers seat was covered by the carpet. I am going to have that fixed by the dealership next time I go in.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Rakmann,

When you turned your front dial away from RR, it took control AWAY from the rear dials. The rear dials are disabled when you move your front dial away from RR.

So when you moved your front dial to the right, toward the red, you were turning off the top vents in back and turning on the floor vents in back.

This is well documented in the owner's manual.

If air instead came out the top vents in any way, that's a malfunction of your system. Take it to your dealer.

You could also try leaving your front dial on RR and letting the rear passengers use their dials, and see if having them set it to the heat setting and see what airflow that causes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rakmann:

</font>

Hi Rakmann,

The owners manual does document this but I found that it wasn't as clear as it could have been. Maybe I was just being a little more dense than usual that day but I did some experimenting and this is what I found.

The rear roof outlets don't seem to allow for directly heated air. They recirculate air from the back of the Ody and refrigerate it if the AC is active. There are two floor outlets in the back. One discharges under the third row seat and the other under the right middle seat. These two will discharge directly heated air as long as the temp knob on the dash is rotated to the warm side. The two air outlets under the front seats are active only when the airflow from the front controls is set to floor. They might discharge a little when the front ventilation controls are set to a dash/floor split but I couldn't feel anything significant in that mode.

Adam1991 is correct when he says that the front control must be on RR for the rear controls to be active. Beyond that, if the front control is set to the left (blue) side, the rear air will discharge from the roof. When set to the right (red) side, the rear air discharges from the floor outlets. I don't think you can mix AC and heat in the rear system like you can in the front. That's a shame really as I've often run the AC to remove excess humidity and then dial in a little heat to keep from freezing to death. It seem the rear passengers don't have that luxury.

FWIW,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied. I'll be playing around with this over the weekend in the driveway.

Rakmann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts