Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I have searched the forum first to no avail...so here it goes...

I have a 2003 Ody 240000 k miles - it's been great! BUT lately a gurgling noise started in dash area. If I turn off all climate controls to "off" it would eventually stop. Now my fans are constantly blowing hot air, the only way for this to stop is to turn it to 60 degrees on the climate control. I know this was not a problem in the summer.

If you have any ideas as where to start to find a solution (other than a dealer) it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know the gurgling can be from low coolant, give that a check.

I'm having the same issue with hot air blowing out lately even with the temp set at 61-65. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It has to be the blend motor which mixes hot and cold. It is stuck and that is why you are getting that clicking noise and high cabin temperature. Somebody else might be able to look at the service manual and see what is involved in getting to the blend door. It is possible that judicial banging would solve your problem if only you know the location.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It has to be the blend motor which mixes hot and cold. It is stuck and that is why you are getting that clicking noise and high cabin temperature. Somebody else might be able to look at the service manual and see what is involved in getting to the blend door. It is possible that judicial banging would solve your problem if only you know the location.
Do you have any insight on the clicking noise that you mention; because it was not mentioned above as a symptom? However, my 2004 Odyssey does exhibit the intermittent clicking and the high temperature air issue. The clicking noise seems to be coming from the driver's side seat belt buckle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's right next to the passenger's left foot. You can see it wiggling. I need to bite the bullet and replace that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's right next to the passenger's left foot. You can see it wiggling. I need to bite the bullet and replace that.
Ok, I replaced my mix motor ($200 online) and it's quiet and working great. My wife was about to take it to Honda herself. :D

The install is very easy, at the bottom right side of the console you remove the little trim popper and the screw. Then the small piece of trim at the bottom nearest to the engine will pop out if you pull it towards you. This gives you room to get a screwdriver in there. Pull out the wiring harness and remove the 3 screws on the mix motor, then pop the arm out of the little holder. Reverse all this to install and enjoy a properly working climate control system.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for sharing the tip. Finally a potential solution to this annoying problem. The symptom that I don't have is the gurgling noise you mention. Glad the motor is not too difficult to change out.

Can you post the part number of the mix motor?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for sharing the tip. Finally a potential solution to this annoying problem. The symptom that I don't have is the gurgling noise you mention. Glad the motor is not too difficult to change out.

Can you post the part number of the mix motor?
Part number: 79160-S0X-A01

For the gurgling, check your coolant level.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello all,
2004 Ody w/ Nav

I am having something like that. I have the temp control on the dashboard to 60 and it is blowing hot air from the dash. If I turn on the AC from the GPS screen, I get hot air from any location I select on the screen. However, if I use the rear control knob to AC I get cold air from the upper vents in the back of the van.

Is this still the mix motor?

Thank again!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I found that when I manually move the flow valve it goes from hot to cold no problem. However I am having a issue removing the rod from the air mixture control linkage. Any suggestions?

Thank you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello all,
2004 Ody w/ Nav

I am having something like that. I have the temp control on the dashboard to 60 and it is blowing hot air from the dash. If I turn on the AC from the GPS screen, I get hot air from any location I select on the screen. However, if I use the rear control knob to AC I get cold air from the upper vents in the back of the van.

Is this still the mix motor?

Thank again!!!!
You can verify that the mix motor is bad by getting down under the passenger side of the dash, reaching up and turning the temp selector and watch the valve. It should smoothly move back and forth. If it barely moves or shutters, you need a new one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found that when I manually move the flow valve it goes from hot to cold no problem. However I am having a issue removing the rod from the air mixture control linkage. Any suggestions?

Thank you
If you are talking about the white plastic piece that the arm snaps into, it does take some patience. I used needle nose players to push equally on both sides of the plastic while pulling the arm through.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What does the valve look like?

You can verify that the mix motor is bad by getting down under the passenger side of the dash, reaching up and turning the temp selector and watch the valve. It should smoothly move back and forth. If it barely moves or shutters, you need a new one.
Based on what I described to my auto shop, the shop suspects that either the motor is bad or a flapper/door is stuck. They have not had a chance to look at it, but seem to think they'll need to pull the dash. In fairness to them, we only had a quick conversation - they have not looked at the van or the manual. I was just trying to get an idea of what the problem might be to know whether a repair might be affordable. From this thread, I suspect that the motor's bad and I'd like to try to replace it myself. Is there a link where I can see what the valve looks like so I can check your solution? If I can't do it myself, at least I'll have more info to provide instead of dropping it off for a full day just to get the estimate done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Based on what I described to my auto shop, the shop suspects that either the motor is bad or a flapper/door is stuck. They have not had a chance to look at it, but seem to think they'll need to pull the dash. In fairness to them, we only had a quick conversation - they have not looked at the van or the manual. I was just trying to get an idea of what the problem might be to know whether a repair might be affordable. From this thread, I suspect that the motor's bad and I'd like to try to replace it myself. Is there a link where I can see what the valve looks like so I can check your solution? If I can't do it myself, at least I'll have more info to provide instead of dropping it off for a full day just to get the estimate done.
I would say if you are at all mechanically inclined you can replace the motor, it's like a 10 minute job. If you kneel outside the passenger door and look about where a person's left foot would be, it's a black box about the size of a deck of cards and has a chrome colored metal arm coming out of it. You can miss it.

Found this pic on Google. http://s3.amazonaws.com/2cp-images/question_images/2703/large.jpg?1294087386

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem at 97k miles. I took the air mix motor off. I thought I would try to fix it before buying a new one. So I open it up, put some grease on the gears, close it. pull the cable a couple times, make sure it's smooth, put the motor back in. And it works. I don't know what I did fix it. I hope I just save myself 200 dollars. Worth a try before buying a new one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts