Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 is usually used for short trips.
Heat and ac always worked.
Past couple days the heat just blows cold the 1st few tries.
Is there a simple fix of the thermostat that I can do myself?
Tia

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you drive for some time and the heat still does not work, it is not your thermostat. Check your coolant level and your hoses heading into the heater core. If the heater core is not getting hot coolant, possible that your valve, or connection to the valve is not working and would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just replaced my radiator due to a 6 inch crack by the fill cap. Top and bottom of the rad is plastic.
Hard to tell if it was leaking at first due to all the plastic covers over the radiator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tia
maybe start with checking the water valve (located by the firewall behind the engine) that meters the amount of hot coolant running through the heater core ...see if arm moves when you change the temp and if the valve opens fully as it should...check the cable adjustment...seems to be a common problem
with the valve fully closed as shown no hot coolant flows so no heat

heater valve 1.JPG

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Tia
Have you checked your coolant level? (actually take off the radiator cap when it is cold and look inside).
The valve that byrd mentioned is also suspect as are several other things.
If, you decide to change your thermostat, might as well do a complete coolant change at the same time.
Have you been losing ANY coolant at all in the last several years?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will look at the coolant level as it's been a while since I checked it anyways.
Thanks for the answers!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see no fluid in the coolant reservoir! Checking the basics first is always a good start.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Still need to check the level in the radiator!! It's probably low, should be up to the bottom of the filler neck where the cap attaches.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still need to check the level in the radiator!! It's probably low, should be up to the bottom of the filler neck where the cap attaches.
Thx. I added to the reservoir so wouldn't that automatically bring it into the radiator ? Guess I can take a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Yes, normally the coolant level is maintained in the reservoir and the radiator will take it from there as needed.

However, always fill the radiator separately whenever the reservoir has run low (i.e. the tube is not fully immersed)..

Also, if something in the system is not working (e.g. bad radiator cap), the radiator could be low even though the reservoir is full.

Always check the coolant level in the radiator (when cold, duh!) whenever investigating a cooling or heating problem.

·
Registered
2002 Ody. Owned since new, just cresting 200k miles!
17 Posts
I would second Byrd's reply, the water valve could be getting stuck. This will exhibit as an AC problem during the summer if it stays stuck in the open position and a lack of heat problem in the winter if it stays closed. You can lubricate the movement and see if that helps, I did that for a few years and then it got to the point that replacing was a better solution. It's a simple replacement and relatively inexpensive.
Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts