Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big rattle under van at start up. Look under van as wife starts and it is the heat shield. That should be covered under the Honda Care....Right?? What all will they replace or will they just rip it off???

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richie_Richie said:
mine's rattling too. i think if it's not too badly rusted they might clamp it or put something on to keep it from rattling. if it's too far gone i think they just rip it off.

Is that how Honda fixes broken/failed parts?:(

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my extended is up in October.....So I will have to get it fixed when I get back from vacation.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not covered under warranty........5 minutes......3 Hose clamps I had in my garage......Noise gone. Dealer told me they would ZIP TIE it for 25 bucks or so.

I suppose this is a common thing.....It happend on my Altima with far fewer miles....It got the hose clamp treatment too

·
Registered
482 Posts
wild willy said:
Not covered under warranty........5 minutes......3 Hose clamps I had in my garage......Noise gone. Dealer told me they would ZIP TIE it for 25 bucks or so.

I suppose this is a common thing.....It happend on my Altima with far fewer miles....It got the hose clamp treatment too
gotta love zip ties and hose clamps. :)

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
wild willy said:
...I suppose this is a common thing.....It happend on my Altima with far fewer miles....It got the hose clamp treatment too
You have no idea how many of those heat shields I've seen on the roadside, of different makes, dimensions and types, on I-10 from Los Angeles to San Antonio. You'd swear that the average car or truck has a "jettison" button to release it from under the vehicle.

OF

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
0dyfamily said:
You have no idea how many of those heat shields I've seen on the roadside, of different makes, dimensions and types, on I-10 from Los Angeles to San Antonio. You'd swear that the average car or truck has a "jettison" button to release it from under the vehicle.

OF
With the salt and snow I can see it here.....But where you are? Damn......

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
I don't think anybody cleans up or picks up anything on I-10 between L.A. and the Arizona border. Just lots of garbage, tire debris, etc. Stuff that looks like catalytic converter and exhaust pipe heat shields (formed, rusted metal that obviously weren't body parts), most of them flattened from people running over them.

You don't want to drive onto the shoulder. Instant flat tire.

OF

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kscha41 said:
Wont the zip ties melt form the heat?

I thought so.....Are the metal zip ties?? If so I have never seen them. I got zip ties comming out of my anus here....but....was not about to put it on the exhaust

·
Registered
76 Posts
can someone post a quick pic as to where the worm gear clamp was placed, I have the problem but can't see how to wrap it up, the piece that looks like it rattles isn't round...it covers the exhaust pipe, I saw in another thread a pic to the exhaust system, but that link is broken, thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I currently have the same problem with my '07 Ody. The dealer is charging me $50 to just look at it. If anyone has any pics on how to fix, replace, or remove this heatshield it would be appreciated. I am no mechanic but i hope i can get under the car and see where it is rusted.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get under the car, have your wife rev it until it rattles and wrap a hose clamp around what is rattle'n after you find it. I suggest you do it when it is cold and off

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Get under the car, have your wife rev it until it rattles and wrap a hose clamp around what is rattle'n after you find it. I suggest you do it when it is cold and off
And make sure the wife isn't pissed off at you for any reason. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I currently have the same problem with my '07 Ody. The dealer is charging me $50 to just look at it. If anyone has any pics on how to fix, replace, or remove this heatshield it would be appreciated. I am no mechanic but i hope i can get under the car and see where it is rusted.
aren't you lucky? my dealer just quoted me, wait,, are you guys sitting down?...

- Front Cat Shields replaced - $425
- Rear Cat Shields replaced - $450
- Bottom Cat Shields replaced - $145

my response - WTF? I think I am going to take my Ody to another mechanic.

·
Registered
114 Posts
aren't you lucky? my dealer just quoted me, wait,, are you guys sitting down?...

- Front Cat Shields replaced - $425
- Rear Cat Shields replaced - $450
- Bottom Cat Shields replaced - $145

my response - WTF? I think I am going to take my Ody to another mechanic.
For the catalytic converter shields, the cheap side of my brain quoted me $5 for a couple of worm gear steel straps. I took the offer and now it's fixed. Rattle gone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts