Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recognize the peculiar nature of this question and I promise it is about much more than seat indicator lights, but could you tell me if this is how your seat heater lights look when you are on level one? Notice how the indicator light for the driver's seat appears at the highest level and the indicator light for the passenger's seat appears at the lowest level. It seems to me that before I took it in for service the last time (I have had numerous issues that are much bigger than this), the indicator lights both started at the lowest level (i.e., closest to the gear shift buttons) and then moved up as I went to levels two and three. Thanks so much.

Seat Heater Indicator Lights.jpg

·
Registered
700 Posts
Something is not right there, my mine I see 3 red lights on both sides (driver and passenger) at max setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't clear enough in my question. This is how it looks when I am on the lowest setting. At max setting, all three light up. But I believe when it's at the lowest setting, I should see the indicator closest to the gear shift light up like it does on the passenger side. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wasn't clear enough in my question. This is how it looks when I am on the lowest setting. At max setting, all three light up. But I believe when it's at the lowest setting, I should see the indicator closest to the gear shift light up like it does on the passenger side. Does that make sense?
I know what you’re talking about. I noticed right away on my Elite and pointed out to my wife, who had not noticed the pattern. I too think the lighting pattern of the angled seat heater lights should be one light lit at the physically lowest level near the gear shift buttons to indicate the lowest heat setting. The physical light pattern should be a metaphor for the heat setting and not be at odds with the heat setting of the seat.

However, Honda chose a left to right light pattern increase on both indicators. So one seat’s indicator lights “uphill” to indicate higher heat and the other lights “downhill” to indicate higher heat. While I’m glad to find a like minded person here, I would have preferred that Honda be consistent in its indicator metaphors.

I believe you are probably remembering seeing one seat heater indicator lighting the “correct” way and assumed the other was the mirror image (also the “correct” way). Then your mind subsequently stored the info as both indicators working as we both prefer. Then after getting the vehicle back after service you saw the lights work in a way contradicting your memory. It’s extraordinary how much our minds can convince us of a set of facts that turn out incorrect. There have been lots of recent studies in the context of the reliability of witness memory in court cases that discuss this phenomenon.

I wish your dealer did do something to the lights because that would mean they could change it back to the way it “should” be. But alas I must live in Honda’s land of imperfect metaphorical lighting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh, I believe that's exactly what happened. It should absolutely be a metaphor for the heat setting, and it would look much better as well! Thank you for letting me know this is the way Honda made it. I've got to say, I am a bit disappointed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ahh, I believe that's exactly what happened. It should absolutely be a metaphor for the heat setting, and it would look much better as well! Thank you for letting me know this is the way Honda made it. I've got to say, I am a bit disappointed.
I’m disappointed in it too. But overall the 2018 Odyssey has been a super upgrade to my old 2004 Honda CRV. And I’ve not been plagued with any of the glitches some 2018 owners have been struggling with (yet). I still have a few minor things to figure out but I don’t think they’re glitches. They’re probably poor instructions or my inadequate brain. I will notice the seat heater lights every time I use them but can live with it since it’s my only true complaint (it won’t bother my spouse at all—I need some Zen from her).

·
Registered
535 Posts
On vehicles with knobs to control temperature - I recognize that is not the case in this van but let's just take one step back - shouldn't it be clockwise to increase and counter-clockwise to decrease on the driver side, and counter-clockwise to increase and clockwise to decrease on the passenger side, so that they maintain the symmetry you are asking for? :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
On vehicles with knobs to control temperature - I recognize that is not the case in this van but let's just take one step back - shouldn't it be clockwise to increase and counter-clockwise to decrease on the driver side, and counter-clockwise to increase and clockwise to decrease on the passenger side, so that they maintain the symmetry you are asking for? :)
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]That’s an excellent and quite a reasonable point. I too prefer to follow the conventions:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Clockwise/Left to Right/Tighten/Louder/Up/Increase/Hotter[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Counter clockwise/Right to Left/Loosen/Softer/Down/Decrease/Cooler[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]However, the symmetry CLana and I seek is a visual symmetry not a symmetry of operation, which already exists. If operated by knobs, I would want both sides to rotate the same way for raising and lowering temperature. And if the indicator lights were arranged around the knob in an arc, I would want them to light clockwise as the heat were raised.

Here, however, the operation is already symmetrical; both sides require a push of a button to change heat level.

The crucial visual difference here is that Honda installed the indicator lights on an angle with one end lower than the other. The visual metaphor of physically higher meaning higher temperature seems a simpler more logical association to me. [/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I don’t mean to say that because it’s more logical to me that way, any one who perceives the Left to right/clockwise/increase as more logical in this situation must be wrong. Far from it. I would call that person lucky. Because the lights just make sense to them. For people like CLana and me, we will always find a little discomfort at the missed opportunity for, from our perspective, a more simple, elegant representation of heat level: Higher (position) = Higher (temperature) rather than Left to Right = Higher temperature.

I do appreciate your carefully constructed devil’s advocate statement. It made me distinguish between visual and operational metaphors. [/FONT][/FONT]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I DEFINITELY agree that the indicators should light from bottom to top, not left to right.

Aesthetically it is all wrong the way they did it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just validated mine both heat and cool on both sides decrease from right to left when you step down from 3-2-1 bars on the driver and passenger side. Ugh ... my OCD is kicking in now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As you probably know, if you don't have the ventilated seats, you only see one set of lights for the heated seats in one column in the desired bottom to top configuration. :)

Looking at the Elite display though, it seems to me Honda could have put the lights in a vertical column beside each button. Those light columns can be very narrow and still do the trick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2018 Elite, build 10/17, software B1.0.11. Heated and cooled seats. From off, 1 press max heat (for just a couple of minutes or I start to cook), 3 lights. 2nd press, medium heat, 2 lights and all I can stand for any period of time and on a really cold day, 1 press, low heat, 1 light, very comfortable. Ventilated seats follow same pattern. Works well for me, simple, somewhat intuitive?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts