Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I did a search but no one seems to have this specific problem on a 2005-10 Ody.

It was chilly this morning so as I went out to do some errands I decided to test the heated seats in the newly procured 09 Odyssey. I put the driver's on high, knowing that both the lumbar & cushion should heat well. Drove around for a good 5-10 minutes and didn't feel much. I definitely felt the cushion heat slightly, but it wasn't pronounced at all, the way I remember my 06 Accord feeling when I turned the seat warmer on high.

I couldn't even tell if the lumbar was heating, or if it was simply my back's pressure against the seat making it feel warmer. Not good if I can't tell on high.

Luckily it's still under factory warranty so I may just let the dealer deal with it, but wondering if anyone has had this problem? I will do as other posters have suggested and check the wiring, but wondering if anyone has had a *weak* heated seat before, rather than it simply not working? Other owners of this gen, are the heated seats generally weak and hard to feel (guessing the answer is no, but I'm new to this model)?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Our '06 has pretty pathetic heated seats as well, compared to our Oldsmobile which could be used as a hot plate (almost!). My wife loves the heated seats in the Olds, and says the Honda seats are OK but nothing special in terms of heat. May be as designed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an 08 and mine seems to behave the same way as you describe. It takes about 20 mins or so on high to get to the "too hot" point where you have to switch it to low or off. The back does get warm but not like the seat bottom.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 08 and mine seems to behave the same way as you describe. It takes about 20 mins or so on high to get to the "too hot" point where you have to switch it to low or off. The back does get warm but not like the seat bottom.
interesting. i may take it in to see if they can have a look. wondering if anyone has done that yet?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just FYI. I do not even own an Odyssey yet but looking. My wife and I have driven several Ody's and noticed immediately that the heated seats are on the pathetic side. We currently own a Town and Country and the heated seats are awesome. You definitely know they are on within 30 seconds.

I have also heard that the Ody back support on the passenger side does not even have an element though have not confirmed that.

Couple of suggestions. You might try to find an infrared gun and point it at various parts of the seat to make comparisons with another vehicle. I really doubt the dealer is going to do much for you if the issue is a design weakness. However, all hope is not lost. There are interior shops that will re-do the leather and/or element to give you toasty buns. So, you may want to consider that route. I know I plan to (if I purchase an Ody). I am kinda getting cold feet reading some of the posts. :um:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Our '08 EX-L is exactly the same way. I even questioned whether they worked the first cold day after we bought. They work, but much more gradual than my SAAB that burns your butt in 1 minute if set to #3 (high) I can't even use #3 because it is too hot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
interesting. i may take it in to see if they can have a look. wondering if anyone has done that yet?
If you do let us know what they say. On super frigid mornings it would be nice to have to turn it to low or off after a minute.

I guess I should also qualify my comment about how the seat back heats up. I usually have a parka on so that insulates me from the heat, as well as the cold.

For landar, to confirm, there is no heat in the passenger side seat back. Honda says because of the side curtain air bags that shoot out of the seat bolster. BTW, the same air bags are in the driver seat-go figure.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Our '06 is the same. It takes about 20 minutes just to get warm. Pretty sad. But what's strange is that the driver's seat heats on the seat and back but the passenger side only heats the seat part. What's with that.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
I have an 08 Touring and the heated seats are weak and take awhile to heat up, as others have posted. It sounds like that is how they function and it is a characteristic of the 05-10 Ody....very disappointing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Never had heated seats before buying the 06 EX-L RES. Never needed them since I park in an underground heated garage. I am responsible for the all the snow removal for 2 apt complexes and drive a Kubota F3680 with a heated Curtis Cab installed. This past winter was one of the toughest I have delt with in 17 years on the job here. Spent over 120 hours blowing snow this last winter. No plans to ever use them unless we stay somewhere and I must park outside overnight in winter.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I remember when I used then, they got very hot quick (2007 Odyssey). However now, I am noticing they're not as hot, or barely warm. I didn't use the heated seats much, but this weekend when it got hot, I decided to turn it on. I remembered that when I set it for high, I had to turn it down to low as it burned my a$$.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts