Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 1200 miles on my 2002 RRP EXL and am wondering the answer to this question...

Does having the heated seats on have any bearing as to the starting of the van? Seems I've had the van start rough on me a couple of times (now that it's cold) and I believe each time I had the heated seat(s) on.

I know there have been some posts regarding a "rough starter" that pops up occasionally, but no one has mentioned anything about the seats and this is the only thing that I've noticed has been different when the "starter gremlins" show up.

Thanks.
Killroy
2002 RRP EXL

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, the owner's manual does recommend that you only use the 'High' setitng on the seat warmers until the seats are warm, then switch to the 'Low' setting, as the 'High' setting draws alot of current from the battery. I can see how that would reduce the amount of current available for the starter motor, so that it was more sluggish in turning the engine over.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
134 Posts
Seat wamers draw tons of amps. So do headlights (did you have them on too?). Also if your A/C compressor was running (DEF or A/C mode) that will load the engine and make it harder to crank. Cold weather will of course amplify the effect of all this (weakens battery output and thickens oil making initial cranking more dificult). But hey, if your car won't start, at least your butt will be warm until help arrives.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts