Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find this info? It isn't in the specs, just rear headroom, which doesn't tell me how tall the lift gate opening is. I'm in the market to purchase, but would like to see if I can fit my bike in standing straight up...

·
Registered
112 Posts
lyncstar said:
Where can I find this info? It isn't in the specs, just rear headroom, which doesn't tell me how tall the lift gate opening is. I'm in the market to purchase, but would like to see if I can fit my bike in standing straight up...
I'll measure mine tonight and post the results.

That said, how about when you go to the dealer to look, you take a tape measure?

Or, better yet, take your bike along and ask to try it. If the dealer wont' allow you to see if the vehicle meets your needs, find another dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: height of rear opening in 3rd gen ody...

michaelj3 said:
I'll measure mine tonight and post the results.

That said, how about when you go to the dealer to look, you take a tape measure?

Or, better yet, take your bike along and ask to try it. If the dealer wont' allow you to see if the vehicle meets your needs, find another dealer.
That's a good suggestion, I'm just trying to avoid the trip, as I've already test drove the vans, and know I like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unless it is a freak-tall bike, it will easily fit with the rear seats down...

These are pictures of Gen 2 rigs, but the dimensions should be very close:

--Bill

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just measured mine. It's a bit hard to know exactly where to measure from, because the opening slopes a bit, but conservatively, it's at least 42 inches high. And once you get through the hatch, things open up a bit. The floor-to-roof height is around 47 inches near the middle of the cargo area. I don't believe a normal bike should be a problem.

This is an area where a minivan easily beats most SUVs. The floor of a minivan's cargo area is much closer to the ground, so even though the roof height isn't much different, the cargo area is taller.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I measured it last evening.

Max Height at Opening: 41 3/8"
Min Height at Opening: 40"
Max Width: 49"
Max Floor to Ceiling: 47"

Thinking now, I should have measured diagonal opening too, but didn't. Hope this Helps.

If you are thinking of getting the towing package installed, there are some really nice rack's available that mount in the hitch, but then, of course, your bike is exposed to weather. We have the Yakima 4 bike, and it works great.

·
Registered
346 Posts
a wise man once said:
"This is an area where a minivan easily beats most SUVs. The floor of a minivan's cargo area is much closer to the ground, so even though the roof height isn't much different, the cargo area is taller."

There are many reasons related to efficiency, both of packaging and fuel, that folks really need vans over trucks, but the public tends to vote for trucks/crossovers with their wallets -- and then keep paying with their wallets for extra gas and trailers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts