Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
link to rack

I want this rack but am not sure it will glideaway far enough for the ody rear door.
What's the problem? CostCo will let you return it if it doesn't work... and I bet a call to the manufacturer will answer the question before purchase (surely almost two feet of outward travel is ample to allow liftgate operation)... :huh:

My only concern, it seemed flimsy in the video... but that's about it, I could be wrong... :DD

·
Registered
412 Posts
There's a good reason that the racks from Thule and Yakima cost 2-3X more. They are built very robustly and are well designed functionally. With 4 bikes at your tail moving 70mph+, you don't want to leave anything to chance.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
A couple of us Ody-clubbers use the Thule 964.

It is built like the proverbial bank vault, and I have had no dragging issues on the low Honda hitch. Not recommended for use in 1.25" hitches (via an adapter) due to its considerable mass.

I've affixed 4 bikes. Have never seen one this stable at freeway speeds on rough turnpikes.

Note that it does not appreciably tilt right when articulating on my Odysseys' OEM hitches, such as on that GM hitch in the pic. The GM OEM hitch bolts to the bumper and frame for torsion control (BAD idea), and has documented failures (and lawsuits-o-plenty), so it was a poor example for Thule to use in that pic. Most any other 2" receiver hitches would not do that.

Thule's integral (not separate) cable lock is a nice features. As well, the Thule anti-wobble device lock and the cable lock are keyed-alike. One key for all.

It looks like the Heininger's anti-wobble device includes a plastic "C" (that blue thing).

Rhode Gear (no longer with us) used these plastic "C" in some of their racks, and the reviews were not positive. The Rhode Gear Interstate Shuttle 4-bike rack used an anti-wobble device similar to Thule's, with much better results (Kuat racks uses something like Rhode Gear's anti-wobble system).

OF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts