Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well just finished the latest upgrade to my Ody. Replaced the wimpy stock horns with Hella Supertone, took about 50 minutes total to complete. Pictures where added to my homepage:
http://community.webshots.com/album/19212006VxpXfIWNPU
------------------
2001 GG Ex, Leather, GPS, TV/DVD, Donnely Mirror, WingWest areo kit, 17x8 wheels w/yokahamas.

[This message has been edited by bmorison (edited 08-18-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
The whole front’s off your car, man! Tell me there’s an easier way to do this, like maybe through the tail pipe, or that it was a lot easier than it looks in the pictures. I mean, it just looks horrendous to have the whole front of the vehicle off (sort of like in T2 after his skin gets burnt off), just to get to two little horns.

Did you follow a manual, like Helms, to do this modification, or just wing it? I know that I often will do something the first time, like a new set of brake pads, and it’ll take me two hours and I’ll have taken off lots more than I needed to. Then when I do the second side it takes about 1/4 that time.
--------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – great, but inadequate for a family of 5
’86 Civic – bye, bye my little old friend
’02 GG Odyssey EXL-RES w/all the fixings – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,495 Posts
Congrats,Bob ! So you did it, huh ? I was lucky my airhorns were too big to fit back there.
I noticed in one of your pics there looks like a shield over your airbox. Did you make a cold-air intake system ?

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well believe it or not it involves 4 screws and 9 clips! I used the directions for installings factory fog lights, downloaded them from Handa's site. Was pretty easy to remove, a little harder to put back on, could have used another hand. I think I could do,it in twenty or twenty-five minutes a second time. Will come off again to install fog/driving lights next week, PIAA's not factory.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tnuckels:
The whole front’s off your car, man! Tell me there’s an easier way to do this, like maybe through the tail pipe, or that it was a lot easier than it looks in the pictures. I mean, it just looks horrendous to have the whole front of the vehicle off (sort of like in T2 after his skin gets burnt off), just to get to two little horns.

Did you follow a manual, like Helms, to do this modification, or just wing it? I know that I often will do something the first time, like a new set of brake pads, and it’ll take me two hours and I’ll have taken off lots more than I needed to. Then when I do the second side it takes about 1/4 that time.
</font>
------------------
2001 GG Ex, Leather, GPS, TV/DVD, Donnely Mirror, WingWest areo kit, 17x8 wheels w/yokohamas, Hella supertone horns.

[This message has been edited by bmorison (edited 08-18-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
bmorrison, how did you wire the horns? Did you use the Hella relay? Did you wire to the OEM connectors, did you wire to the battery, did you use Hella supplied wiring? Please let us know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock horn goes through a relay, I used a wire clamp below the stock connector and a spade lug on the other end for the horn. For the ground I attached a crimp ring big enough for the mounting bolt and a spade lug to the horn. So it still uses stock relay and fuse. Stock connector still there if I want to ever go back to stock( I won't but maybe a future owner would)
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
bmorrison, how did you wire the horns? Did you use the Hella relay? Did you wire to the OEM connectors, did you wire to the battery, did you use Hella supplied wiring? Please let us know.</font>
[This message has been edited by bmorison (edited 08-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by bmorison (edited 08-18-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
bmorison:
Love your webshots. Can't help notice your Yokohama Avid tires. Are they pointed forward? Is wet traction good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Morrison, so where did you buy the supertone horns and how much did they cost? Also, please give us the same information on your foglights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Thanks. Any reason you picked the PIAA solitaires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Finally got around to installing my Hella Supertone horns. I've had 'em for months I'm embarrassed to say! Boy, those stock horns are just too weak! Now I have something to wake people up that go brain-dead at stop lights! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
jarcher said:
Finally got around to installing my Hella Supertone horns. I've had 'em for months I'm embarrassed to say! Boy, those stock horns are just too weak! Now I have something to wake people up that go brain-dead at stop lights! :D
Can you describe how they sound? I am sick to death with the RoadRunner horn on my 02, but I would like to have soime idea what they sound like.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
FW_in_OKC,

They're very european sounding. My 86 Volvo horns are just slightly deeper in tone. Find a Volvo or BMW and listen to them and that should give you some idea. I'll try to post a sound file over the weekend. I'm not sure if that will help or not.

The great thing about them is they throw the sound directly in front and they are louder. You can barely hear the horns in the van with the windows up!

Should you want a deeper sound like an American car/truck, you'll have to get a 'Merican horn product. I like the Cadillac sound myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
I'll just pull out in front of a BMW and listen real close, then wave a "Thank You" to the driver. I hope I don't get shot. LOL

I may just install truck type Air Horns. That should get everybody's attention. Especially when I lock the doors with the remote.:joy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
FW_in_OKC said:
I'll just pull out in front of a BMW and listen real close, then wave a "Thank You" to the driver. I hope I don't get shot. LOL

I may just install truck type Air Hornes. That should get everybody's attention. Especially when I lock the doors with the remote.:joy:
Last weekend, I was behind a huge double-wheeled Pickup/tracter want-to-be truck, and he was trying to get through a mall parking lot. Some idiot decided to block all traffic while a person leisurely packed his car and left a parking spot. This pickup hit his horn... and it sounded like a damn Locomotive train... I looked around for a train.. seriously. Then I thought to myself how stupid that was...

If you got a car, get a car-horn. Those air horns just really are not appropriate on a mini-van... IMHO.. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
I was :jk: just kidding!


I think the Hella Supertone horns will satisfy my need for a replacement horn. I just hate the horn that came on the Odyssey. I had an opportunity to hear a Mercedes yesterday at work. I saw some dude climbing into a 94 or 95 s-class and asked him to hit his horn so I could hear it. I bet he thought I was nuts, but he did it anyway. I like the sound. I could live with that.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Nice 'n LOUD

Installed my Supertones today :D Sounds great, watch out autobahn! Took about an hour (while I had bumper off I put some Loctite threadlocker on my foglight screws to make sure they wouldn't loosen up). Horns were very easy install.

Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
In hind sight, I should have replaced the horn when I had the bumper removed for the ATF cooler install.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top