Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new and just got a 98 a few weeks ago with the intention of doing a budget sleeper, looking forward to getting this thing in mint condition and playing with the engine. Gonna look up stuff and get informed on this chassis and have some fun at car meets 馃槢. And I have seen that Facebook is the main place for good info and where the community is. I've applied but it's been a few days with no approval so is that one dead now too?

Registered
Love your blue top!
Sadly, most have moved on. And the active RA fanatics are on facebook. Search still works!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've been detailing the engine bay and repainted it the Honda blue pearl. I'll hopefully be doing a turbo setup at some point. Play till the automatic blows and then swap a 5-speed. I applied to join the RA group but haven't been accepted yet

Registered
Nice RA3! Love the valve cover too!
The RA3 is a little more difficult to tinker with. Since it is obd2a and has the immobilizer ecu. Van is similar to the 98-02 accord 4 cylinder. I have a 98 as well, same color too. But I live in California so I don鈥檛 really want to deal with emissions since it鈥檚 already difficult to smog in Cali. I鈥檝e been doing some research and gathering parts on converting to a manual transmission in mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I love engine bay work so it's only just begun. I'll update as I go if y'all want. Gonna be a slow process but, it's my last project car per the wife so I've got all the time in the world now. Lol.

As far as OBD2 I was prepared. I actually thought all the 96+ models were because of the standard but was surprised 98 was the only one. I essentially, when the time comes, just plan to remove the immobilizer and roll back to OBD1 and run an S300 ECU. I actually enjoy wire harness work so I'm all good with diving in and making it work. I was gonna swap the engine to a DOHC F22B JDM engine but after looking into it I'm pretty happy with the F23A7. It's actually an impressive engine so I'm going to keep it and look into rods/pistons and just slapping a turbo on it. And I'm in South Carolina so we have no emissions laws to worry with. I know the Cat laws are federal but I'm keeping it a true sleeper. Even the hubcaps will remain and a full exhaust to keep it quiet so I don't draw attention 馃槢

Registered
Thanks! I've been detailing the engine bay and repainted it the Honda blue pearl. I'll hopefully be doing a turbo setup at some point. Play till the automatic blows and then swap a 5-speed. I applied to join the RA group but haven't been accepted yet
I鈥檓 on the forum. Most of the posts are very old but still relevant. I got a 2002 Odyssey thinking it鈥檇 last then found out the TCS light isn鈥檛 supposed to be on all the time.
Biggest revelation I鈥檝e had is resistance seems to be the key in Honda transmission solenoids. According to others鈥 posts the switches seem to work when tested but not under circumstances, ie engine & trans around 180-200掳F, not 50-80 where humans live.
I just tested my TCCS It clicks when I test it using a battery but resistance is only 5.4-6 ohms when I read it should be 15-25 Ohms. Maybe this explains why my van shifts ok most times when first started but after 2-3 minutes won鈥檛 go over 2nd gear.

Registered
I have a '98 and thus spend all of my time here in the 1st Gen sub-forum. I consider this forum perfectly relevent as I intend to keep our Ody running as long as possible, (and most of time) enjoy the upgrade(s) and maintenence in doing so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts