Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
just a quick update - rear motor mount replaced at honda (oem) and cv axle (aftermarket since lifetime warranty), rides better.
Was told the vtec solenoid was leaking and getting on the alternator, at a cost of 900$ to correct. I looked on here and found the aftermarket gasket replacement, so followed that.
However now getting the P3497 code, only came on at highway speeds, was fine around the city for a couple days...sigh.

Read some threads around torque settings, oil change/level, and ensuring the piston is free to move, etc.
I'll be tackling this tomorrow...might even put the old gaskets back in to confirm.
@John Clark i read some comments you posted around testing with a 12v supply, i might have to give that a shot.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
cheers

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
My experience with the aftermarket gaskets is that they fail within a 3-6 months. While it's not happened to me, other people's experience with removing those valves is that it often causes a code later and I believe it's due to warpage of the housing and binding of the piston. It's tough to get out of the big bill for replacing the entire valve.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
801 Posts
Too late now, but here is the Honda official procedure for the leaking VCM/VTEC solenoid:

TSB 20-023 - Front Rocker Arm Oil Control Valve Leaks
Applies To: 2008-10 Odyssey - EX-L and higher - ALL
2011-17 Odyssey - ALL - ALL
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A20-023.PDF

It does specifically mention leaving the lower housing in place to avoid DTC's, along with needing to replace the upper valve portion to avoid future leaks...

-Charlie

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the info, pains me to have to consider getting a whole new setup for 2 gaskets

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Yep. Last one I did was a rear spool valve ($500+). We tried the gasket. It leaked after 2-3 months. Owner decided to spend the money on an OEM valve. Problem solved and I haven't seen him back since. I won't do the aftermarket gaskets again.

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well I just swapped the old gaskets back in, torqued to 72ish in/lbs and took it down the same drive that threw the code. Everything is fine again.
Not sure if it's the gaskets or the torque difference, 72 vs 106.
But I suspect it's the lower gasket, as it has the mesh filter. My gut tells me it is altering the oil pressure within the solenoid.
I'll monitor things for the next little while.
Order up the vcmtuner and new plugs soon.

Thanks again everyone.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts