Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

This is my 'virginal' post here to this group (be gentle!) but I've been monitoring the boards for a couple of weeks to get familiar with them. I've seen the saga between Edmunds & Jim being played out and hopefully I don't come across as too ignorant.

First, I just ordered a SS 01 EX-NAVI from an unnamed dealer in KY ;-) who is giving me a break off MSRP, my choice of colors and with some goodies thrown in for free (mats, mud flaps, dealer protection pkg). The bad part is it won't be built until June. Other extras I plan to buy right away:

- 7/100/0 warranty (still $895?)
- some type of entertainment system (maybe the uBid Jensen display & P2!)
- cargo tray (Trevor)
- Backup system (Frank)

I'm a 35 yr. old novice when it comes to taking a vehicle apart, but Chuck and Hi have inspired me. My main problem is deciding which b/u system to go with. It sounds like the poron might have the edge, but it seems a bit tricker to install. Having those pics you took are worth their weight in gold, Chuck!

TEALPHANT...? You are sick...sick...SICK! I *LOVE* your van. The interior looks more inviting than my house. Can I move in? ;-) Did you get your Indiglo emblems at autotoys.com? I saw they had like 6 colors...I'm wondering how you like them? I thought the silver or white might look good on the SS and the kit is only like $25 so if they're not too difficult to install...

Chuck? You're a treasure-trove of info. Where do you find the time? ..does buying an Ody mean I'm going to stay up all night trolling boards & looking for gadgets? (Uh oh..too late! Its not going to arrive for another 2 months and I'm already doing that!)

Jim...I lived in Houston for 6 years. I moved to Nashville in 96 but miss the Goody Co. & Pappas restaurants terribly! But I don't miss the weather...

So...nice to meet all you folks and I've still got one foot in Edmunds and here (until they notice I linked to honda-odyssey.com in my first post over there...doh!) and I'll try to be a helpful and friendly member.

Now I'm off to obsess about LCD systems for my (as yet unbuilt) van...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
--------------------------------------------
Chuck? You're a treasure-trove of info. Where do you find the time? ..does buying an Ody mean I'm going to stay up all night trolling boards & looking for gadgets? (Uh oh..too late! Its not going to arrive for another 2 months and I'm already doing that!)
---------------------------------------------
Yup. That's how I started, too. It's one of the prices you pay for having to wait so long to get the Ody.

About the only things I can say in my own defense are that I'm anal as hell, retired, and am an old fart who has always loved making his vehicle "his own". I don't think I've ever owned a car that wasn't recognizable, for better or worse, as "Chuck's".

Most of the trouble I get into stems from one of those things.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Jim...I lived in Houston for 6 years. I moved to Nashville in 96 but miss the Goody Co. & Pappas restaurants terribly! But I don't miss the weather...
</font>
Aww c'mon ... what's wrong with 101 degrees and 100% humidity? LOL The Pappas bros. are incredible. I hate seafood, but I'll eat anything off their menu. That's how good they are.

Welcome to our little group. We seem to be attracting all of the DIYers. I love it! I've worked on cars all of my life and have lots of plans for our Ody as well.

You're going to LOVE the van when you get it. We put 500 miles on ours within the first couple of days just driving around the city.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

[This message has been edited by Jim F (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah yeah..Pappas bros. My wife worked at a couple of different Pappasitas many years ago...I think its a requirement growing up in Houston that you work for Pappas at some point in your life.

I went by Circuit City (and tried not to get too distracted by the GIANT HDTVs in the back running the DirecTV HDTV demo :p ) and the only car video LCD they had was a $1300 6.8" Audiovox that comes with a crummy VCP. I asked about the Audiovox without the VCP and they said I couldn't buy it that way. Does anyone happen to know a national electronics retailer that carries the Jensen? I sure would like to see one in person before I jump in and do a Ubid.

Thanks for the welcoming messages. I forgot to mention in my first post that we're dumping our 1994 Pathfinder SE (black..EVERY OPTION KNOWN TO GOD AND MAN ON IT!) with 74k mi. The value seems to have started dropping precipitously on it recently so its time to get something more practical. (and fun!)

My history of cars is:

- 1970 Ford Galaxy 500 (loved that car!)
- 1976 Monte Carlo (loved that car too!)
- 1978 Datsun pickup (loved that truck!)
- 1987 Honda Accord LXi (still driving it with 212k miles!)
- 1993 Honda Civic (technically my wife's)
- 1994 Pathfinder SE
* 2001 SS Odyssey EX-NAVI (June) I CANT WAIT! I feel like a kid at Christmas time! Every night I have to go and get my Odyssey 'fix' on the web.)

Jim, if you like Indian food; check out Ashoka Indian on Hillcroft - just north of Westpark on the west side of Hillcroft. The chef used to work at Bombay Palace off Westheimer and I used to eat there once a week when I lived in Houston. *AMAZING* saag paneer (saag-spinach, paneer-cheese). This stuff is so good I had former co-workers fedex it to me in dry-ice several times after moving to Nashville.

·
Registered
31 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
..does buying an Ody mean I'm going to stay up all night trolling boards & looking for gadgets? </font>

this sounds all too familiar..... is now midnight and im still reading up on ody threads.....
and i agree with nyvram.... kudos to jim, chuck, hi, tealphant, nemo and all others for the great info .....
but honestly..... how do you all find the time to keep up with all the threads?..... i can only keep up with this site ..... can't imagine following all the others in addition to this..... but, wish i could

oh.. for the love of the odyssey......

------------------
jay-q
'01 GG EX-N
'91 Accord LX

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks it took some time and a little money. You can move in when ever you want rent is real cheap. lol
I got the guages from speedpeople.com it took about 45-1 hour to put in very easy I still have a few more tricks coming when I am done I will give this site more pictures when I finish (running out of ideas soon)
If you have any questions let me know and welcome to the club

1 - 6 of 6 Posts