Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've browsed this site for a few years. I currently have a 2001 LX with 191k miles. I'm not the most mechanically minded, unfortunately, but can follow directions pretty well. A friend has helped me with some repairs and it's been taken in for a few others. The list of repairs recommended is about what I paid for the van ($3700 at 131k 5 years ago) and now I'm looking to get something a bit newer.

I'm ideally looking for something with about 100k and around the $10k price range. I started searching the forums here for things to keep an eye out for and VCM definitely seems like the main issue, and once I read up on that a bit I noticed that 95% of the Odyssey vans for sale around here are all EX-L models. Are most of the Odysseys on the road EX-L, or is it just those people who sold theirs?

I've got more reading and searching to do, but are there any suggestions as to what to look for and what to avoid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
EX-L seems to be the perfect balance of features vs price. You are about to have major service at 105K hence factor in the cost to be spent or in the negotiation of price. VCM Muzzler, 3x ATF drain and fill, brake fluid and power steering fluid changes.

Edit: Also expand the search to CraigList with 100 miles radius. You may find it. Good luck. There is an EX in Beaverton OR with 88K miles and lot of dealer installed features but above your budget. Good luck..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - I'll expand the CL search and keep those things in mind. Luckily my mechanical ability does allow me to do the fluid changes!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If it were me I would avoid '08-'13 model years due to oil consumption issues related to VCM-II in EX-L and above for '08-'10 and all '11-'13 models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're suggesting no EX-L models between 08-13? My guess is most 07 vans will have quite a bit more than 100k miles, and most '14 and up vans will be more than $10k. Did things get changed up in '14 and later?

I'm guessing that means looking for an EX or else an 07 without as many miles?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
So you're suggesting no EX-L models between 08-13? My guess is most 07 vans will have quite a bit more than 100k miles, and most '14 and up vans will be more than $10k.
I'm guessing that means looking for an EX or else an 07 without as many miles?
Yep, that's rub for that price point. '07 is kind of a sweet spot for having the heavier 5 speed transmission than an '05 or '06 and I would buy an '07 EX-L with 150K on it before an '08-'10 with 100K if I were the one buying. If you already owned the '08-'10 and knew it had not already developed the oil use issue you could muzzle the VCM and drive fairly confident that the issue would not develop, but buying used with no way to know if it were being dumped for the issue would scare me. I suppose there is the possibility of finding one that had the issue addressed by Honda (warranty for oil consumption was extended to 8 years/125K miles) undergoing a top end rebuild before the owner opted to trade or sell. If the work was verified then you could muzzle the VCM going forward to prevent it from happening again. Search the forum here regarding the issue and you will find lots of threads on the subject. I recall at least one owner that was going to try muzzling the VCM after the oil consumption started to see if it would work it's way out of it (carbon build up on the rings on cylinders 5 & 6 is the cause), but I haven't seen any report yet on whether or not it worked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Am I correct in thinking the EX model does not have the VCM issues? Just found an 08 EX with about 105k miles for $8500 - no timing belt change yet but he said he'd drop the price a bit in consideration.

Also just minutes ago found an 07 EX-L with only 90k miles. Says timing belt and water pump were done at 62k miles. They want $10k. Just now seeing there are a handful of 07 EX-L models around 100k miles and under or around $10k.

Between an 08 EX and 07 EX-L with about the same price and miles, would the 07 be the way to go?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Am I correct in thinking the EX model does not have the VCM issues? Just found an 08 EX with about 105k miles for $8500 - no timing belt change yet but he said he'd drop the price a bit in consideration.
Correct, no VCM for the LX or EX models until 2011.

·
Registered
683 Posts
No vcm and no 'butt toaster' for your partner!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yeah, that alone might nudge me in the way of an 07 EX-L over an 08 EX with similar miles/price. If the 07 was well maintained, does that choice make sense?
It would at my house. SWMBO likes her buns toasty lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you had an option of
'07 EX-L with 100k miles and timing belt just done for $8800
'07 EX-L at 147k miles with recent timing belt for $5000
'07 Touring at 142k miles with timing belt and water pump just done for $4950
-all with fairly good maintenance records, would any of these seem like a good deal?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If you had an option of an 07 EX-L with 100k miles and timing belt just done for $8800 and an 07 Touring at 142k miles with timing belt done at 135k for $5000, both with fairly good maintenance records, would either of these seem like a decent deal?
At that point it would come down to some details. The EX-L definitely seems on the high end for price while the Touring seems on the low end. Other than the timing belt service and the total miles the next thing I would be looking for is trans fluid services and overall cosmetic condition. I am pretty picky when it comes to shiny paint and carpet/seats that have not been trashed. I've done enough detailing that I can tell the difference between just needing a good cleaning and yeah, that's not going to come out. It's certainly worth looking at both of them and seeing if one appeals more than the other. You could also use the Touring price to attempt a price reduction on the EX-L.

Also keep in mind that several colors had paint peeling challenges in that era more so than others. Primarily white and dark blue. Even if the problem isn't currently present it could pop up. In Honda's defense those two colors were challenging for all manufacturers in that era due to EPA regulated paint formulas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts