Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. First off, thank you to everyone who puts this site together as well as all of you who participate in it. I've really enjoyed reading and learning so much about this great van.

The birth of our son last year prompted my wife and I to recently take delivery of a 2012 Touring Elite (silver over grey) and to be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed. The technology in this car is stunning and while I'm trying to get through the owners manuals, it's a bit daunting with the challenges of our expanded family.

We've only got about 200 miles on the van so far but it's already made a huge difference in carting our son, all his stuff, and our dog around town, to Grandma's house, etc. What an incredible piece of packaging.

I've done a search here and haven't found any answers to a few, hopefully quick questions that I have.

1) When cold, the transmission in our van seems to act a bit weird. The first few shifts seem "elasticy" with an odd sound that accompanies it. After driving a few miles this seems to disappear and doesn't manifest itself again until the van is stone cold and driven again. We live in S. CA so the weather isn't that cold and the vehicle is garage kept. We don't warm the motor in the garage, we follow the manual and drive "gingerly" until the water temp, etc. is up to snuff. Any thoughts/ideas? I'm a little leery given the transmission problems in earlier Odysseys.
2) I have a pretty good wind leak around the top of the driver's door when I'm up to freeway speeds. It's not horrible but I can definitely hear it. I expected the van to be a bit louder due to the size, etc. but I'm surprised with the wind noise/leak. Has anyone else experienced this?
3) Our power tailgate seems to have a mind of it's own. (BTW - big thanks for the post about struggling to open the liftgage in the garage as we have the same problem). Neither the key fob nor the in dash button always seem to open the liftgage. I've fooled around with the custom settings in the MDI but that only seems to prevent the door from opening without unlocking the other doors first. Any thoughts/ideas?

I'm hoping someone else has experienced some of these issues before I run it back to the dealer.

PS - I can't wait to check the interior illumination on the van tonight.. another great post here.

Thanks everyone.

Christian

·
Registered
755 Posts
hello and welcome to the forum

1) do you hear a chattering noise? we have a 2011 and we hear it too but with over 22k miles on the van, we don't have any problems except the hard shifting.

2) Wow i've finally met someone who has the same problem as i do. Someone sat in the second row seat right behind the drivers seat, and noticed that the wind is coming in from somewhere around that area. But never bothered to get it fixed since i know that the service manager at the dealership won't do anything.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Da Hapa, welcome to OdyClub.

The impending birth of my first son at the end of last year also prompted me to get the 2011 Honda Odyssey (gray over silver ;)). I agree with all your points and just love the ample space to carry all his gear. Don't be too daunted by the technology, because you'll have it figured over time and everything will be easy peasy. It's been 10 months for me and I still bearly know how to use the voice commands. :frown:

As for your questions.

1. I'm from Canada so obviously I drive the van in cold weather. Our transmission does not exhibit the behavior you are reporting. The only thing I hear is a clunking noise when we pull the transmission from park to reverse or drive. Also there is some minor creaking when we turn the wheels.

2. As far as I know, no wind leaks, but when I sit in the 2nd row, it's usually on the passenger and not the driver side. I would have this checked out by the dealer. Probably a loose door/window seal that is covered under warranty.

3. You need to hold the tailgate lift button for a few seconds (until you hear the beep) for it to work. A single or short press will not work. If you continue to experience problems, you may have a faulty key FOB or bad batteries. Do the unlock and sliding door buttons work fine?

On a side note with regards to the key FOB, I found ours to be really sensitive. While the key FOB was in my pocket sometimes the sliding doors would open. To be safe, I changed the key FOB behavior (like you did) so I would have to press unlock before I could open the sliding doors.

Enjoy your new van!

:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello and welcome to the forum

1) do you hear a chattering noise? we have a 2011 and we hear it too but with over 22k miles on the van, we don't have any problems except the hard shifting.

2) Wow i've finally met someone who has the same problem as i do. Someone sat in the second row seat right behind the drivers seat, and noticed that the wind is coming in from somewhere around that area. But never bothered to get it fixed since i know that the service manager at the dealership won't do anything.
Thank you.

No, no chattering noise.

I think I'll have the dealer check all these things when I take it in for it's first oil change (I'm wacky and change the oil at 1,000 miles on new cars no matter what).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Da Hapa, welcome to OdyClub.

The impending birth of my first son at the end of last year also prompted me to get the 2011 Honda Odyssey (gray over silver ;)). I agree with all your points and just love the ample space to carry all his gear. Don't be too daunted by the technology, because you'll have it figured over time and everything will be easy peasy. It's been 10 months for me and I still bearly know how to use the voice commands. :frown:

As for your questions.

1. I'm from Canada so obviously I drive the van in cold weather. Our transmission does not exhibit the behavior you are reporting. The only thing I hear is a clunking noise when we pull the transmission from park to reverse or drive. Also there is some minor creaking when we turn the wheels.

2. As far as I know, no wind leaks, but when I sit in the 2nd row, it's usually on the passenger and not the driver side. I would have this checked out by the dealer. Probably a loose door/window seal that is covered under warranty.

3. You need to hold the tailgate lift button for a few seconds (until you hear the beep) for it to work. A single or short press will not work. If you continue to experience problems, you may have a faulty key FOB or bad batteries. Do the unlock and sliding door buttons work fine?

On a side note with regards to the key FOB, I found ours to be really sensitive. While the key FOB was in my pocket sometimes the sliding doors would open. To be safe, I changed the key FOB behavior (like you did) so I would have to press unlock before I could open the sliding doors.

Enjoy your new van!

:)
Thank you.

What's interesting to note is that the technology and features in this car trumps what we have/had in our 2006 Lexus LX470, 2010 Audi A6 Avant Prestige and 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S. All of those vehicles cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than the van.

I've tried the hold and be patient plan for the tailgate and that doesn't seem to help... it's interimttent and I don't have the same issue with either of the sliding doors (although to be honest I almost never use the driver's side sliding door).

I appreciate the warm welcome and the feedback.

BTW - polished metal was our other choice. Great color on the van.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts