Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Roger Bishop and I own a 08 touring with blown engine due to VCM. What other non VCM drivetrains will fit my Ody?
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,701 Posts
Yours looks like an EX-L, not a Touring, to me.

Anyways, for the ECU not to throw any codes, you'll need to use another VCM-2 engine. Can't put another Honda J35 in there without replacing the ECU also, and maybe other stuff as well. See if you can source a low mileage junkyard one, and then muzzle it to prevent future problems. That's the route I would take. Or maybe a rebuilt engine at the right price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My name is Roger Bishop and I own a 08 touring with blown engine due to VCM. What other non VCM drivetrains will fit my Ody? View attachment 163731 View attachment 163731
Well thank you! I plan to do an entire non VCM swap including pcm and harness. Was looking into the Pilot drive train, because I would love and of four wheel drive. It got stuck in a flat drive lol

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Why do you say it's blown? Did the Honda 'stealership' want to sell you a 'ring job'? Disabling or 'muzzling' the VCM will often undo the issues with the rings and oil consumption. Have you read the The VCM Megathread - what is VCM, does my vehicle have... thread?
Well thank you! I plan to do an entire non VCM swap including pcm and harness. Was looking into the Pilot drive train, because I would love and of four wheel drive. It got stuck in a flat drive lol
How would you do the drivetrain to the rear wheels?! o_O

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you say it's blown? Did the Honda 'stealership' want to sell you a 'ring job'? Disabling or 'muzzling' the VCM will often undo the issues with the rings and oil consumption. Have you read the The VCM Megathread - what is VCM, does my vehicle have... thread?

How would you do the drivetrain to the rear wheels?! o_O
I am going to research that. I have seen v8's in them may need to fabricate. Fortunately I have a dear friend who is a master fabricator. I lost a cylinder when the rings dropped. We compression tested it, and it smokes like a freight train. 275 k on it. I bought it used so got my money's worth. I like to hot rod things lol.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When using "Reply" please put your answer after the [/qoute] directive! :unsure: It's a mess trying to find your answer!
Well, it sounds like it's past the point where muzzling would undo the problem. Good luck on retrofitting it to AWD!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When using "Reply" please put your answer after the [/qoute] directive! :unsure: It's a mess trying to find your answer!
Well, it sounds like it's past the point where muzzling would undo the problem. Good luck on retrofitting it to AWD!
Thanks all. Anything is possible, now, the real question is, is it probable LOL!! I may end up parting her out or going the rebuilt engine trans route.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Sourcing from an '08-'10 EX-L or Touring would be the easiest replacement- and muzzle it!

Reactions: rogerb740

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
If you're okay with a constant CEL (probably wouldn't pass emissions inspection if you have that in your area) then you can definitely do a non-VCM swap. But no way to do it without a constant CEL.

I would muzzle first, maybe run some Techron and/or do a cylinder soak as well before condemning the engine. Disabling VCM is way cheaper so it's worth a shot.

Reactions: rogerb740
1 - 9 of 9 Posts