Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2010 EX-L and want to pick up a set of Helm service manuals. I've always kept a set for whatever vehicle I owned at the time.

There are some on ebay that show covering 2007 thru 2010 Odys, others are for a specific model year only, some are for 2007-2008's, etc.

My question - would a pre-2010 set (07,08,09) be worth buying and have information applicable to 2010's, or should I hold out for a set produced specifically for 2010's?

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
193 Posts
An earlier set will have a lot of the information but the 2010 will have all the information. The bigger problem is it might be hard to know when it's wrong.

I notice at helminc.com that the 2007-2010 goes for $150 but the 2007-2009 goes for $125. I bet they added a lot of information.

These are very good manuals and a bargain at the price IMOP.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
For 95% of your need: oil change, ATF drain/refill, brake, strut, spark plugs etc., all those are in forum.

If you are an experienced DIYer that have wrenched before, the shop manual is essentially good for a few things that are not in the forum:

1. Wiring Diagram (this is crucial for trouble-shooting)

2. Torque Values

3. Engine Rebuild

Other than those 3 items mentioned above, I find shop manuals not very useful, as I have wrenched for many years.

·
Registered
193 Posts
With shop rates at $95/hour in my area a shop manual is worth it just to have an idea of what is involved in the work.

A single electrical test of a component to verify function will pay for the manual. Details of the tests are in the manual. Most shops will just replace parts since you are paying for the part and labor. If that doesn't fix it they'll replace the next part on your dime.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always figured one good DIY repair saves enough to cover the cost of the Helm manuals.

I'll hold out for a used 2010 set, right now nothing is showing up other than the $150 variety.

In my opinion they are an absolute must-have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts