Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
until now i haven't had the need to purchase the much coveted helms manual aka odyssey bible due to the fact that our odyssey hasn't needed any service (other than the first free oil change by the dealer). but among other projects, it will soon need to be oil changed (2nd time) now that it will be finally reaching 7,000 miles soon (2001 acquired in april '01)
anyhow.... can someone please reccommend where i should purchase this badboy. i was on www.helmsinc.com, is this where everyone else has purchased their manuals? or is there places where it can be gotten for cheaper. i also noticed there are two editions of the service manual. i have the 2001 model, would anyone see the use in ordering the 2002 newer edition? would it have more updated 2001 information? my impression would be that the newer edition would focus on the 2002 more that 2001.
lastly, does anyone reccomend ordering the other manuals offered such as electrical troubleshooting manual, and owner manuals, navigation manual(or are these the same as supplied with vehicle) thanks in advance for everyones feedback.

jq

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm pretty sure the only source for the Shop Manual is through Helms.

I'd order the 2002 version. It should have complete info for the 1999-2002 models.

The ETM is valuable for lots of wiring mods. I highly recommend it!

Mel

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yep jay-q, suck it up and get out the old credit card. You won't be sorry and trust me..... it will pay for itself in the long run. They do on any car. You can save tons of bucks alone just from seeing how things are put together. It saves you from lots of broken things needing replacement just because you forced something that still had a screw holding it on.

Fred

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies,
i got my helms manual yesterday... ive looked it over and it is very informative and detailed... it will come in very handy now that i have a few projects in mind...
now i have more reading to do... gotta get off the computer...
jq

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW, Helms manuals are model year specific; i.e. a 2002 manual will only have limited application to a 2001 Ody, since there have been some changes to the engine and the suspension among other things. DUTCH

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "current" year Helms manuals cover a range of vehicles. E.g., my 2001 editions cover 1999-2001. Non-current versions may be a couple of bucks cheaper.

Mel

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My recently arrived Helms manual covers 99-2002.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't like the factory manual (Sacrilege)

I find the factory manuals to be a little too terse.

I actually like Haynes manuals better, although I admit that they are not nearly as complete or accurate. But as a nonprofessional, I find Haynes a LOT friendlier. Maybe I'm just a weenie.

The problem is, they don't make one for the Ody. I wrote and asked them, and they said they didn't foresee enough demand. Am I alone in this? If not, how about we gang up and ask Haynes as a group to write one? Or should I become a man and buy the factory one?

BTW, they sell on e-bay for just about the same as new ones!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Re: I don't like the factory manual (Sacrilege)

Ralph said:
I find the factory manuals to be a little too terse.

I actually like Haynes manuals better, although I admit that they are not nearly as complete or accurate. But as a nonprofessional, I find Haynes a LOT friendlier. Maybe I'm just a weenie.

The problem is, they don't make one for the Ody. I wrote and asked them, and they said they didn't foresee enough demand. Am I alone in this? If not, how about we gang up and ask Haynes as a group to write one? Or should I become a man and buy the factory one?

BTW, they sell on e-bay for just about the same as new ones!
Haynes manuals can be very good or next to worthless. My kids had Toyotas when they were in college and the Haynes manuals were great, for those vehicles. I also had one for my MR2 and it was also right on the money. I got one for my '94 Caravan and it was very poor, since it included every variant of that vehicle, from '84 to '94, and it was very difficult to assess which of the data applied to a particular van. The Helm manual contains much more than most folks want to know or can deal with, but, it is all there, should you want to take the plunge on some task. My biggest problem with it is that it does not explain HOW most of the systems work. The many GM manuals and even the Haynes manuals I have had did much better, in that regard.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Jerry,

GM manuals are, in fact, very good, clear and complete. The Saturn Factory Service Manual is the best I've ever seen. But they also cost twice as much.

·
Registered
226 Posts
manualman, how do you like your Saturn? The new Ion styling reminds me of my old 89 Integra, so I may take a look. I never thought I would consider a non-Honda, but I like to at least try to be open-minded.

Are the GM or Saturn manuals twice the price of a Haynes or of a Helm?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I bought my Helm manual on ebay. I got a '99 only for $46 incl. shipping. Keep searching, it's hit and miss, but sometimes you get old service department copies that show up there. There were 3 at $10 each just before I logged on here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts