Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

I just purchased my 2007 EXL yesterday. With 78K miles, pristine condition, I got it for $14,300. The tax was $1,410. The tax hurt.

I cant decide whether to get the HelmsInc (link below) or the shop manual on ebay.
2007 Odyssey Service Manual Volumes 1 and 2 (KA) - Helm Incorporated

Shop Manual link for $98
2007-2009 HONDA ODYSSEY SHOP SERVICE MANUAL SET 2 - eBay (item 400189373826 end time Feb-18-11 14:51:03 PST)

Im an intermediate home mechanic. I can do timing belts, axels, trans fluid changes,tuneups etc.

Ive never owned a helms and at $56 vs $98, Im leaning towards helms.

Your thoughts please? Im looking forward to contributing to this forum. I do lots of write ups with my Bimmer and Accord...this is my first Odyssey.

Thank all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I decided to go Helms manual.

After tax and handling, it came out to be $68.68.

Hope it is worth it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Believe me, they are.

I have factory manuals for both my vehicles, I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you think Helm's are expensive, don't buy a Toyota. My 2004 Tundra's manuals were both over $100 apiece.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Most of info on repair is in this forum, in many ways forum is better because people talk about alternative ways of doing things.

If Helm is $10, I'd buy it for fun, but at $60, I cannot justify the price for something I don't need.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for chiming in CNN and wktjr.

I purchased and waiting for the book now. Although it is a pain in the butt to have another one laying around, it is helpful though when needed. I like to be able to look at diagrams and instructions at the spur of the moment. Second, there are many times folk ask how to do thing on this forum that I can look up for them and learn at the same time. If I can fax or post a diagram here and there, it is a great way to contribute and payback favors. It is a great way to earn karma.

Right now Im anxious to get the manual. I have a loud chattering on cold start up. I know what you mean CNN. I may have found the solution and fix on this forum. It may be the heat shield cover and I understand it is a TSB. Thanks to this forum and all that contribute, I now have a direction to work on rather than feeling stupid I may have bought a lemon. During my 2 1/2 hours of investigating the car before buying, the van was already warm when I started my physical check of the van so the chatter never evolved.

Im not new to forums. I know how awesome a place like this can be. In fact, I would not have learned as much about auto mechanics if it were not for DIY forum as this.

CNN, I wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this forum. You are the local celeb. I've read many of your post, directions, advise, and stickies. I appreciate all you do and how much you have helped others. I thank you in advanced since I saved many of your postings in my library.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
....I have a loud chattering on cold start up. I know what you mean CNN. I may have found the solution and fix on this forum. It may be the heat shield cover and I understand it is a TSB. Thanks to this forum and all that contribute, I now have a direction to work on rather than feeling stupid I may have bought a lemon. During my 2 1/2 hours of investigating the car before buying, the van was already warm when I started my physical check of the van so the chatter never evolved...
Hi arielb1,

I am sure you have read this thread? One needs to distinguish between gasoline issue (try Octane 91) vs Engine issue (is the grade of oil correct?).
The intermediate shaft shield is another issue as you said.

"Engine Chatter"
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/41408-engine-chatter.html

·
Registered
613 Posts
FYI, got a used official honda manual on ebay for about 38 bucks, its not pristine but none of mine are after I leaf through them with dirty hands as I usually end up doing...they're tools after all...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My new 2007 Odyssey Helms service manual came in two days ago. I ordered this through helmsinc.com. Here is my quick take on the book. This review is my opinion.

This is a set of two books (two volumes) about 3 1/2 inches thick for both books. I cannot give the page count per book because the pages are referenced via chapter...ie Chapter 10- page 23. It does not give a total page count.

It is written for the backyard mechanic. The book is well written. I especially appreciate how they put the torque settings in the diagram. The diagrams are excellently done and the step by step directions are easy to read and understand. This set has the mechanical and electrical all mixed in the two books. It has a wealth of information and it appears they really took their time writing it for the average mechanic.

Downside of the books are thin pages and flimsy cover. The pages are very thin. It can be difficult at times to view the diagram because the page behind it interferes. I am able to see the diagram or text on the back page through the paper. The outer cover is thin as well. The book does not seem sturdy. However, the binding seems like it will hold. I can only imagine how this will look once I get my greasy hands on em. I will probably photocopy the pages for the specific project I plan to work on.

The volume one had a box cutter slash on the front. This is a four inch slice that damaged the first 15 pages. As such, I asked Helms to send me another set. To my amazement, I will get a whole new set. They did not want this set.

there you go..a review I could not find during my searches on this forum.

There you go...I like this manual. It may be double the price of Chilton or the other autostore manual, but many times better. I will now be a Helms customer for all my vehicles. I have no regrets and surely will appreciate this set for years to come. It is definately worth the price.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Curious to hear if any of the ebay ones are decent... I have the full service manual (an eBay score at $12.50! front cover was torn off, but how often do you use the front cover? Got an excellent condition 05 electrical troubleshooting manual for another $20...)

It would be interesting to know if any of them are essentially a scanned in/electronic version of the service manual itself

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Just received the CD today. Attached are the file list.
Thanks for the update, which ebay seller do you get the CD from?

Also, when you open a file, what does it look like? Is it like the original factory manual?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for the update, which ebay seller do you get the CD from?

Also, when you open a file, what does it look like? Is it like the original factory manual?
I pm'd him a few days ago with the same questions, no reply yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Just received the CD today. Attached are the file list.
It is too bad you had to pay for that CD manual, albeit a small cost. I have the exact same thing and it was free via the internet.

Much of the CD manual contents is definitely real info from Honda, but the format is not exactly like the Helm factory service manual contents. The format is what you would view/download from a Helm Honda Service Express subscription.

Still good and accurate info though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It is too bad you had to pay for that CD manual, albeit a small cost. I have the exact same thing and it was free via the internet....
Ok, it begs the question - where? You can pm me the link if you don't feel comfortable posting it here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi, cnn,

didn't have internet access for a couple days. The seller is boyet516. don't know if it 's like the original factory manual because I haven't seen the original one. I bought this cd because 1) the seller has good reputation (99.6% positive feedback) 2)$7.50 is not a big deal even if a total loss.
If you would like to see how the file look like, let me know which file you're interested (you can see the attached file list from my previous post), I can post a couple pages of that file so you can make the judgement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts