Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all.......... Newbee here:). I have just purchased on "05" Touring. I have searched all over here and the web for more details but have come up empty handed.

The Check Parking Sensor System light comes on in reverse only. Parking sensors works fine on the front and also the back corners. The problem seems to be the back center sensors only.

I am wondering?????? Are the back two center sensors on a different circuit, fuse or control. Maybe I have both center sensors bad at the same time. If one goes out the other will not work?????

I have not pulled the back bumper yet but hate too if I may have a fuse or some other wire issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
savage,

it is odd that two sensors would go at same time... After looking at the Schematics for parking assist I see that the two centers do share a common leg..so if that wire is cut or corroded it would explain why two would be out.. and the Sensor CPU (Left under Dash)would report fault for this as the circuit would be open and the controller would think both are not there.. Common wire is Black with red and is pin 13 on the controller... (BS-E).

also since you just purchased , look for signs that maybe a trailer hitch was installed and they removed.. maybe breaking or cutting this circuit...stranger things have been known.

And to your original though of multiple fuses, there is only one fuse for the whole parking controller unit... Fuse 21 7.5A

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You JayBird...........

I don't know both went out at the same time, I just know both centers don't work. I bought it that way. I called the old fella that had owned it and he said he never had any trouble but, it also seems like old age has got the better of him so I'm not sure about his memory.

The van does have a hitch on it. I have a large stack of receipts for everything ever done and it shows the hitch was installed on 6/2010 at a U-Haul. You never know but, I would think if they did not hook the sensors up the old guy would have been all over that? This issue is actually the only thing I have found not at 100%, so it bugs me.

I will look for the Common wire (Black with red at pin 13 on the controller)

Based on your post, I am guessing that with the vehicle on and in reverse I should find some sort of positive voltage or maybe a ground that is coming from the sensors to pin 13.

If not then pull back bumper, check connections and then continuity of the black with red wire from sensors to controller.

If good at this point both sensors must be bad.

I would maybe be able to plug the center sensors into a corner and see if they work???????? Not sure if they interchange or if you can test them????????????

You say “Sensor CPU (Left under Dash)would report fault” How is this fault reported? Just the Check Parking Sensor System light on dash. Is there a more detailed report to be found? There are no codes at the OBDII.

Am I thinking clearly on how to trouble shoot this?

Thank You very much for you help.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UPDATE……………

I want to share this for others in need. I took the back bumper cover off and found the right side center sensor was cracked, not completely into - but cracked.

Since the corner sensors were working properly I took a corner sensor and plugged into the connector for the center sensor that was cracked.

At this point I now had a working left side center sensor but the corner one I had put on the right side center would not work (different PN#)

In conclusion I have determined if one is dead or the wire connector is not hooked up, the other one will not work (Christmas lights J). I tried to jumper wire the connector at the bad sensor to get the other to work by itself but that did not work either.

So……………. I need one center sensor in Silver Pearl (PN# 39690 SHJ A61 ZF)

It seems the only option is to buy a 2 pack from Honda at $225+ dollars.

Would anybody want to split this with me or is there something after market in a 1 pack?

Thank you Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Steve..

Definately sounds like you are on the right path...However by looking at the the wiring diagram they are not in series...Christmas Light like..as all sensors wire back to controller...with the exception some share common wire connections. ie the center rears.

I would hope you have some sort of wiring issue as these sensors are not cheap..

I know first hand as one went out in a previous family vehicle..

anyhow you are correct that the corner sensors are differnt number than center rear...

However I am pretty sure your pricing is off and that it is 225 for each (not sold in pairs).

at least thats how my parts distributer has listed... says for center that 2 is required..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That controller must need both hooked up for either one of them to work.

Because the left center only works with one of my corner ones plugged into the right center.

If I leave the right center unplugged or hooked up to the broken one the left center will not work.

I may have misread the parts site I thought you got 2 @ $225 That is just crazy pricing.

Thank You

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wow. Those sensors are expensive. I was planning to add them to my '09 EXL but realizing how expensive they are... I will find contentment on my reverse camera.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can we have another update? I was wondering if you got your issue solved.

I have the same type of issue with our "new" 06 Touring. We noticed that the sensor system was turned off after purchasing the van and then found out why. The check parking system notification is on and neither of the center rear sensors will work. I took off the bumper today and didn't see any broken wires etc. Unfortunately I didn't see this post until after so I didn't think to swap sensors around.

What I did do was a resistance check of the sensors. Both center sensors read around 13.5 ohms. The corner sensors were 10 ohms. I was able to get to one of the front sensors and it was 10 ohms. Putting something in front of the sensors did not change the resistance, so they must be some type of radio frequency sensor? Does anyone know if this is the correct resisitance? It would appear that both the middle sensors are bad in my case since they are different from the others. I hate to waste money just throwing parts at it but I would really like to get this system working.

One other thing I noticed was the location of the wires in the harness connector. There are 2 rows of 4 pins. The 2 corner sensors had the pins side by side(LH, LH, RH, RH) in the connector. The 2 middle ones had the pins seperated(LH sensor red, RH sensor black, LH black, RH red). The vehicle connector had a difference in the 2 black with red stripe wires. One had 2 silver dots, the other had 1 silver dot. The bumper harness had both wires black with red and 2 silver dots. It seems very unlikely that the vehicle could have gotten past Honda inspection and the previous owner with the wires in the incorrect location. So this is mostly just a geewiz I guess.

FYI: I found some sensors online for around $225 each, dealer wants $315. Part number 39690SHJA61ZF (silver pearl metallic)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jason,

Overall I think these sensors are pretty stable/reliable... they are ulta sonic emitters/receivers (like in the the head of a ultrasound device) and reason why so pricey. Most the time I find that failure to these systems are due to abuse or accident, like the Uhaul guys disconnecting cause they don't understand there is a switch to turn off when hooking up your trailer. and of course you dont want it beeping while driving, mine beep when someone walk to close in the parking lots or crosswalks, couldnt imagine the beeping one would get with a trailer attached behind.

Anyhow back on topic, the best thing to do in trouble-shooting is substitute corners for centers or vice versa. Of course dont forget and them mix up as they are different part numbers, the angle and range of the corner sensors cover differ. You do need to have both sensors functioning for the circuit to perform.

A little crack in the case will allow moisture to embed and ruin..or wiring issues, etc... etc.

keep us posted and let me know if I can help any further.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply jaybird22.

I think before I make the big purchase I will remove the bumper again and swap both corner sensors for the middle ones. Then I can check the function of the middle section to make sure the circuit is working correctly. If that works then I can try and narrow down if it is just one sensor that is bad. I really don't mind dropping the money on it to get this fixed as I would really like this safety feature functioning, just don't want to waste money in the process. The problem right now it that my time is at a premium so it may take a while to get to it.

Anyone else care to give me some tips before I dive in?

I will try and post the results of all this to hopefully help another in the future.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK The results are in. Fixed!

First I will cut to the chase and say that I put 1 sensor in the RH Center Rear and it is working. No more "Check Parking System" error. The part was ordered from www.righthondaparts.com I called them first and they were very helpful. Ordered online with paypal. The part came in just a few days. Went on in like 15 minutes. (easier when you have done it a couple times) I ordered the part number listed in my previous post. It cost $229 shipped.

Now for the long version. I did try removing the bumper and swapping the sensors around before ordering to verify which sensor was bad etc. It did not work for me the way others had described it. I don't remember the details but basically I could not get both center positions to work at the same time even with the corner sensors installed on that circuit. By moving things around various ways I was able to get 3 of the sensors to function. I had 1 sensor that never did work in any position it was in.

The biggest thing I found was that I felt the working sensors "pulsating" while my wife had the van in reverse and the system on. I was holding them all in my hand and if I touched the sensing portion it was vibrating. The one that did not pulsate was the one that I could not get to signal when testing for function. So maybe I have stumbled upon a new "testing method". LOL. It would definately be easy to do a preliminary check with since you could do this without removing the bumper. Of course please remember that I was working on a Touring model, I think thier sensors use a different technology but I am not sure.

So armed with this information I took an expensive guess and decided to try the sensor and it paid off. I figured if the van was taken to a dealer they would have just said it needed a sensor and put one on charging 315 for the part and who knows what for labor. It's not like they were going to do some great system check on it. And if that didn't work they would have still charged me for it anyhow.

Well I hope this write-up helps someone in the future. It always seems when I do a search I can find all kinds of people with the same issues as me but very few that actually come back and say what fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help Jaybird22, momma should be rollin' happy now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring parking sensors. Display shows "Check Parking Sensor System" and lights up all 5 sensors. No exterior damage - just started issuing alarm message one day. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's been a while since I worked on this one. Had to read back through the posts to remember any details. I'd suggest trying the method I found while checking mine. Feel for the pulsations. It's a good place to start since you can do it without removing any parts. If you have one oddball then that is the likely culprit.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Same problem with my 08' Touring.

To test them in an easy way, put in reverse (keep your brake on, don't move the van), ask some one to approach to each sensor.
The ones that still work will show indication on the screen, the ones that didn't work won't do anything.

Also, ebay has cheap sensors, never try them, but worth spending $16 before $230.

Hope this help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts