Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
He also thinks it might be time for an engine replacement
It's possible, but there's no need to guess about such a major job. Doing compression and leakdown tests would indicate if the engine is mechanically sound or not.

It's possible that the rings have seized on one or more cylinders. In that state, they would no longer seal against the cylinder wall. VCM has been known to cause this issue. It would also explain the high oil consumption. Again, testing the engine would confirm or deny that this is the problem.

As discussed above, your cats are probably blocked. That would explain the engine's inability to rev past 1500 RPM. However, before replacing those expensive items, you have to address the oil/engine problem. Otherwise, the new cats would quickly suffer the same fate as the present ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had something similar occur for me on my '07 Honda Odyssey Touring. CEL flashing, misfiring on all cylinders, unable to idle properly.

I just got it out of the shop. It was the timing belt and water pump. Works great now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's possible, but there's no need to guess about such a major job. Doing compression and leakdown tests would indicate if the engine is mechanically sound or not.

It's possible that the rings have seized on one or more cylinders. In that state, they would no longer seal against the cylinder wall. VCM has been known to cause this issue. It would also explain the high oil consumption. Again, testing the engine would confirm or deny that this is the problem.

As discussed above, your cats are probably blocked. That would explain the engine's inability to rev past 1500 RPM. However, before replacing those expensive items, you have to address the oil/engine problem. Otherwise, the new cats would quickly suffer the same fate as the present ones.
I personally don't have any test equipment (scanner, compression tester, etc) so I have to rely on friends who have the equipment to help but I'm at their mercy for their time availability.
I will mention it to the mechanic
I had it towed to a shop my friend recommended.
They did some basic initial checking and said that the valves need to be adjusted as they were "off" from where they were supposed to be (cost is about $473 - 5 hours labor) and that's what's causing the random misfires with CEL flashing and van not running right (low rpm)
I was also told that they have to do that first before being able to do anything else
I'm kinda hesitant as I'm not sure if $500 is a good starting point as I don't want to keep paying big $ for them to experiment
Any thoughts/suggestions
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had something similar occur for me on my '07 Honda Odyssey Touring. CEL flashing, misfiring on all cylinders, unable to idle properly.

I just got it out of the shop. It was the timing belt and water pump. Works great now.
Thank you for the suggestion
The timing belt and water pump were done about 80k miles ago
I will mention it to the mechanic and see what he says

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
They did some basic initial checking and said that the valves need to be adjusted as they were "off" from where they were supposed to be (cost is about $473 - 5 hours labor) and that's what's causing the random misfires with CEL flashing and van not running right (low rpm)
Valves out of adjustment could cause misfires alright. Did they actually remove the valve covers and measure the valve lash, or is this an educated guess?

Misfire codes or not, the valves should be adjusted at about 150,000 miles. Your 173,000 miles is well beyond that.

5 hours labor is about right. I regret not replacing the spark plug tube seals when they did mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I
Valves out of adjustment could cause misfires alright. Did they actually remove the valve covers and measure the valve lash, or is this an educated guess?

Misfire codes or not, the valves should be adjusted at about 150,000 miles. Your 173,000 miles is well beyond that.

5 hours labor is about right. I regret not replacing the spark plug tube seals when they did mine.
I'm guessing it's an educated guess as he let it run for a few mins, listened to it and only looked at it externally (clicking noise was present) and the CEL light started flashing.
I told him to go ahead.
He said he's seen that problem before - he races civic's at the local race track - so he's familiar with Honda's (granted Civic and Odyssey are not same engine but still same family)
Somebody also suggested doing the timing belt at the same time (as it has about 80k on it now) as he would have most of the stuff out of the way to do the valve adjustment anyway, so as not to have to take it apart again in about 20k more.
I'm thinking it is a good suggestion to do the timing belt also. OEM parts or are after market parts ok (recommendation on after market brand)
Do the spark plug tubes come in a total package of 6 or do I have to get separate single ones ?
Any info on part # ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update: I stopped in to check on the van and he had the front valve cover off and checked the clearance.
He said they were within spec and didn’t have to adjust anything so he’s putting it back together.
He said he saw no point in taking the back cover off to check.
He’s going to check the back pressure next and see if the cats are clogged.
He wants to isolate the problem first and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Regarding timing belt parts, the Aisin kit is highly recommended here. Usually less than $200 at Rock Auto. Don't consider any other brand. Add a thermostat and new Honda coolant and you should be all set.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update 12-06-19
He called and said the cats and o2 sensors need to be replaced $1600
He’s not sure which occurred first - cats went out and took out the o2 sensors or o2 sensors went out and took out the cats
Cost to replace is about $1600 - waiting on more info about brand and breakdown on costs etc - it has to be ordered from out of state and will take a few days to get
Any thoughts/suggestions

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated. From your description, it sounded like your cats were bad (lack of power). Your recommended
mechanic, seems honest. (upon inspection, valves did not need adj.). So he moved on to the next step.....

Have 2001, original owner, 214,000 miles. No valve adj. original O2 sensors and converters, and coils, and main relay.
Just waiting, to replace them, when I get the "codes" and "symptoms", the many posters on this site have mentioned. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Any recommendations on brand of cats and o2 sensors

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here is the estimate that I was given
He just said "The oxygen sensors are NTK which is OE, and for the cats would be one from Autopart International and one from CATCO. It's slim pickings for the brands at our local warehouse, but those are both direct fit. So we shouldn't have to worry about any problems"

I saw RockAuto had Walker brand cats (#16638 and #16643 - are those part #s the right items) for about $174-188 each (the cost of both is approximately what he's charging for one) and the NTK OE (# 24346) upstream for $85 and the NTK OE (#24435 or 24437 - don't know which I would need) downstream (figured might as well replace those also - is that a good idea) for about $49-52 each.

I'm guessing these are the Honda OEM Part #s
upstream sensors Sensor, Front Laf - Honda (36531-RGW-A01)
downstream sensors Sensor, Front Oxygen - Honda (36532-RGW-A02)

Front cat Converter, Front Primary - Honda (18190-RGW-A02)
Rear cat Converter, Rear Primary - Honda (18290-RGW-A01)

I'm going to go talk to him and see if I can buy the parts myself.

Any suggestions in pointing me in the right direction.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts