Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks,

I have been lurking here for many years and following advise on 'how to' on minor things and am grateful for all the help.

I just started a new job in Alexandria, VA while the family is still back in NJ. I decided to take the Ody on my way back today as I wanted to bring down some furniture with me. At a toll booth in Maryland, where I had to stop completely, when I stepped on the gas, the tach revved wayy up, the car jerked without really shifting, so I took my foot off the gas immediately and kinda coaxed it and it shifted smoothly. Also, the TCS light came on and it has been solid since then. It was fine until I got off the highway (obviously), at all the stop lights and in the parking lot of my apartment complex, getting it to shift was an ordeal. I found out that I couldn't really coax it, I had to revv the engine for it to shift. I hope that I haven't damaged anything.

Is this the tranny problem everyone is complaining about?

So, anyway, I am brand new here in Alexandria and looking for some help and recommendations for mechanics / dealers where I could take the van.

Thanks in advance.
rados.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
That is indeed your tranny slipping and it will get worse. I'd wait for some locals to point you into the right direction of a reputable shop but if I were you, I'd start poring over the Gator and jasper posts and decide on one and then call them to ask for a recommended shop to install. That is if you intend to keep the 2000.

Losing a tranny is tough enough but losing it in a new place or on a trip is brutal. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Gator is cheaper than Jasper to start you off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bummer, I was afraid of that!
My fellow Alexandrians, can you please point me to a good mechanic.

Thanks
rados

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would also check your AT fluid, if it is low it will also give the same issues. I had a similar problem with mine when it was low on fluid. Adding fluid helped, but only long enough to get the tranny replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked the ATF level, unfortunately the ody is parked slightly sloping forward and I didn't start the engine when I took the reading, but ... the level shows almost an 1" above the second hole from the bottom :um:. Isn't it supposed to be *between* the two holes at the bottom of the dip stick?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Bummer, I was afraid of that!
My fellow Alexandrians, can you please point me to a good mechanic.

Thanks
rados
Go to the Jasper web site and fill out the info on the "find an installer" link and print out the list, and then check them out with YELP reviews and/or a personal visit to ask their labor charges and experience.

I would recommend that you pass them up if they have loud gangsta rap music playing in the shop area. :)

JASPER Remanufactured Engines & Transmissions: auto repair: find an installer

·
Registered
832 Posts
Folks,

I have been lurking here for many years and following advise on 'how to' on minor things and am grateful for all the help.

I just started a new job in Alexandria, VA while the family is still back in NJ. I decided to take the Ody on my way back today as I wanted to bring down some furniture with me. At a toll booth in Maryland, where I had to stop completely, when I stepped on the gas, the tach revved wayy up, the car jerked without really shifting, so I took my foot off the gas immediately and kinda coaxed it and it shifted smoothly. Also, the TCS light came on and it has been solid since then. It was fine until I got off the highway (obviously), at all the stop lights and in the parking lot of my apartment complex, getting it to shift was an ordeal. I found out that I couldn't really coax it, I had to revv the engine for it to shift. I hope that I haven't damaged anything.

Is this the tranny problem everyone is complaining about?

So, anyway, I am brand new here in Alexandria and looking for some help and recommendations for mechanics / dealers where I could take the van.

Thanks in advance.
rados.

I own a 2001LX. Had same problem as you,. TCS light on, Trans slipping.
AMCO ran error code. Torque convertor bad.

Cost $ 3K, at AMCO. (Be careful, every AMCO indepently owned, quality varies).

So far Van runs OK. 1ST trans failed at 42K, 2nd trans failed at 65K, (replaced under warrenty by dealer).

Dealer wanted $5K, to replace 3rd trans with rebuilt, and had a 6 week wait on rebuilt trans.

good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts