Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother just tried to park the odyssey, he just got his license a few months ago and the spot we park the minivan is a tight fit. The driver side door, driver side rear 3/4 panel is badly scratched and dented and somehow the front 1/4 panel is dented too. I was wondering are there any ways to easily or cheaper repair/replace these panels. Are the front and rear 1/4, 3/4 panels welded on or are the cliped on and easily removable?

also would there be any changes in the 2005 to 2010 panels maybe i can salvage some wrecks panels if they are easily removable or not welded on?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
404 Posts
You have a newish vehicle without comprehensive insurance?!? :huh:

Just turn it in to your carrier and have them arrange to fix the thing. You, or rather your moron brother (yeah, I'd make him pay), will be out just the deductible. This is why you have insurance, isn't it? :rollingeyes:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wow - that sucks! He just kept on going even when it was obvious he was hitting something!?!?

Front quarter panel is bolted, door panel is bolted, rear panel is welded... good luck.

Best bet is take it to a body shop and have them fix it on your brother's dime. (hard to say without pics, but there's a good chance they won't have to actually replace body panels, just repair and repaint)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill see if i can get some pictures taken and uploaded, my kid brothers 16 barely got his licence, so he hit it and kept going about 2 feet so there drivers sides in pretty bad shape, don't want to get insurance involved for something small don't want rates any higher than they are. If it costs too much i might think about it but i think i can live with the dent as long as doesnt affect the auto-doors

·
Registered
20 Posts
ill see if i can get some pictures taken and uploaded, my kid brothers 16 barely got his licence, so he hit it and kept going about 2 feet so there drivers sides in pretty bad shape, don't want to get insurance involved for something small don't want rates any higher than they are. If it costs too much i might think about it but i think i can live with the dent as long as doesnt affect the auto-doors
Unfortunately, body work is not cheap when it comes to fixing multiple panels. Could easily be thousands to do it right. I view this not so much as your kid brothers fault as it is the person who gave a 16 year old, "barely got his license" the permission to park a 2010 Odyssey in a tight space. Now a 2010 Town and Country would be a different story. :DD
Lesson learnt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BTW, ask your insurance agent about it any way. It may not affect your premiums especially if you have otherwise been a good driver and this is a first claim. You do not have to go through with the claim if they say it will jump your rates.

·
Registered
404 Posts
...don't want to get insurance involved for something small don't want rates any higher than they are...
There's nothing small about "the driver side door, driver side rear 3/4 panel badly scratched and dented and somehow the front 1/4 panel is dented too." You're probably looking at a couple of thousand dollars at least unless you want to drive around with a beat-up car. Sixteen is old enough to have an allowance / savings / have a part-time lawn-mowing job or something / be responsible for your actions. Your Bubba needs to step up and take care of this for you... :DD

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
The driver side door, driver side rear 3/4 panel is badly scratched and dented and somehow the front 1/4 panel is dented too.
so he hit it and kept going about 2 feet so there drivers sides in pretty bad shape,
I think he went a bit further than 2 feet to do that much damage!

·
Registered
32 Posts
ALSO.

If your brother is not on our policy, it may not affect your rates at all. It would go as points against your brother on your policy, but if he is actually insured with another carrier, it may not hurt either.

I know this from a different experience driving my brothers piece of junk 94 Chevy plow truck with bad brakes. Rear ended a guy. Ins paid his damages, and his rates never went up, and neither did mine, as there was not a police report/record of the accident.

Definitely check into it before you drop $4k on repairs, or drive around a nice new, dented, car for 300k miles. ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
What color is your Ody? Some of the colors will be a lot more easily found in a scrap yard than others. Before taking scrap yard parts, it is also important to realize a Touring bumper will not work if you have an LX, EX, or EXL.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh man. I gotta show this thread to my wife. She doesn't understand why I don't let anyone drive the Ody. Her 09 Civic has a scratch on the roof that is no longer than 6 inches. The best quote we got was $475 so your issue definitely has to be over $1,000. Let's see those pics so we can suffer together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts