Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you everyone

I need some more education. After reading so many post here, I have come very close to a conclusion, but need help on another issue.

I have a 2007 EX-L with 80K miles. It appears my right rear is bottoming out when I hit a bump. I can only imagine the shocks are worn out.

My goal is a smooth reliable ride and the money is not a factor.

I plan to replace the OEM shocks with Monroe Sensa Trac. One, I can find these at a great price on Amazon. Two, I dont see KYB on ebay.

My odyssey will also pull a pop up trailer. Do you think I should install the Air lift bag on the rear suspension at the same time when I install the shocks? The towing of the trailer will occur about once a year at most.

Thoughts? Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I would install the Air Lifts. In addition to pulling the popup trailer, you will probably have people and gear in the van. The rear suspension is soft and will sag a lot under this load with the stock suspension.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tow a pop-up 5-8 times during the Spring-Fall months and also use the Airlift 1000's. Aside from the load of the engine, you wouldn't really know it is back there. The Airlift 1000's really support the rear end and assist with towing stability. One word of caution though. These airbags will throw your rear-end out of alignment and cause premature tire wear. I inflated my bags to 25lbs and had the van aligned at that pressure. I keep them at 25lbs all the time and this set of tires is wearing perfectly. The alignment tech showed me how a slight change in air pressure can throw off the alignment though, so due diligience is required in keeping the airbags at the pressure they were at when the van was aligned.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I tow a pop-up 5-8 times during the Spring-Fall months and also use the Airlift 1000's. Aside from the load of the engine, you wouldn't really know it is back there. The Airlift 1000's really support the rear end and assist with towing stability. One word of caution though. These airbags will throw your rear-end out of alignment and cause premature tire wear. I inflated my bags to 25lbs and had the van aligned at that pressure. I keep them at 25lbs all the time and this set of tires is wearing perfectly. The alignment tech showed me how a slight change in air pressure can throw off the alignment though, so due diligience is required in keeping the airbags at the pressure they were at when the van was aligned.
That's a good point. Just curious though, the air bags should alter the camber when they raise the rear, but I wasn't aware that the stock rear suspension had a camber adjustment. Would you have any further info about the alignment spec that was customized to suit the air bags?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Davedrivesody -

Sorry that I don't have the specifics on the alignment. That was a year ago. What I do remember is that the old tires were doing well until I had the van inspected in February 2011. The odometer had 22502 when the airbags were installed (July 2010) and by February 2011 at 41,239, the tires were wearing real bad on the inside edge. I had new Michelins put on then and a 4-wheel alignment was done at that time. When the alignment was done, the tech and I were talking about why an Odyssey would need airbags and all that. When he did the back, he asked if 25lbs was the operating pressure I keep them at. I said it is now and he showed me how bad the alignment was in the rear. The airbags were the only change that had ever been made to the rear end. As he made the adjustment, we talked about how a little differenece in airbag pressure could make a difference in the alignment. It's been almost a year and 16,000 miles on the new tires and they are wearing beautifully. All I have done is rotate the tires and maintain the airbag pressure at 25lbs religiously. I keep the Michelins at 38lbs as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts