Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Ody 187,400 miles
I got a P1259 code. Searched around and found the common issue is low oil level. Checked that and it is right on. Read elsewhere that a few things can be happening in the VTEC system to cause the code. I would like to start with the easy items first like seeing if this VTEC system has the metal screen that could be getting clogged and restricting the oil flow. I have ordered my shop manuals so sometime next week I will be able to track this down. In the mean time I would like to be able to at least inspect the unit. Can anyone give a little help on locating this? I am thinking it is on the front half of the "V" and on the driver's side of the van below the valve cover.
Just to be clear I did reset the codes and it came right back after revving above 4,000 RPM. Now the engine is in "limp" or "safe mode" and won't rev above 3,000 RPM. Drives great below that limit.
If the VTEC system is working correctly and the engine is not making enough oil pressure in general, that would suck. VTEC seems easier to fix/replace than the oil pump.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
That picture is small and I think you have the EGR valve circled in red. See if the attached helps you locate the VTEC Solenoid Valve, which is on the other side down by the oil pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy Fix

Thanks New Dad for the help. The solenoid was not plugged in all the way into the wire harness which I guess was causing the error code. Once I plugged it all the way in and test drove it the code didn't come back, so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That picture is small and I think you have the EGR valve circled in red. See if the attached helps you locate the VTEC Solenoid Valve, which is on the other side down by the oil pump.
Does the valve fail? Did you guys replace it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure if you are asking about the EGR valve of the VTEC Solenoid Valve.

My VTEC did not fail. It was not plugged in all the way. I am thinking that it must have been that way from the time that the timing belt was changed at around 105,000 miles. I bought the van with 188,000 miles and fixed the problem by plugging it in all the way. The previous owners must have drove it around below 3,000 RPM. That is the point where the engine will protect itself by limiting the RPMs.

As for my EGR valve, it may be failing but that has nothing to do with the VTEC code.

From the time that I first posted this topic I have gotten my hands on the Service Manual in PDF form so I can do a lot more damage now... I mean good. Best $40 dollar sent on the van so far.

·
Registered
97 Posts
... See if the attached helps you locate the VTEC Solenoid Valve, which is on the other side down by the oil pump.
Using the PDF New Dad New Van posted I pulled off the oil filter assy and immediately noticed that the source of a long persistent oil leak was that gasket. When I tried to remove the gasket (which was stuck to the body of the engine, rather that the valve), it immediately cracked because it was so brittle. However, the kicker was the oil screen... look at the crud in the screen:

DSC_0008.JPG

Needless to say, I need to replace it.

I'm quite certain that this is the source of the P1259 code in my van; however, I'll report back once the job is done.

Well, this thread is a bit old but I want to give credit where credit is due! Thanks to New Dad New Van!!

Sunil

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Yes, it does say to check the filter for clogging in Step 3 - so glad it helped and saved you some $! You solved the leaking and the CEL in one shot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What troubles me is that the junk was supposed to be filtered out before it gets to the screen... isn't it? I wonder if an oil filter failed. I'm not religious about changing the oil at exact intervals but I certainly never let it go beyond 7K between changes.

Now I just have to find the part locally!
Sunil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts