Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High Speed Vibration. I cannot drive in on the highway.
This is driving me nuts.

I have a high speed vibration between 60-65 mph that will shake the steering wheel violently and stay with the Odyssey all the way to a complete stop. I've had to pull over a few times.
I can then start up and go right to 80 mph and it will be fine.

I've rotated and balanced the new tires(less then 8,000 miles on them)
I've put in new brake pads and there is a slight brake vibration.
The half shaft axles are 2 and 4 years old.
I've replaced the completely worn sway bar bushings because they were completely disintegrated.

If I was to drive at 75-80 mph and bring it to a stop, no vibration.
If I was to bring it to up to 65 and stay there the vibration increases and when I push the brakes it gets REALLY bad.

Please help! Thank you,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Being intermittent like you say, could be dragging brakes, caused by a sticky caliper piston, sticky/rusted/ungreased slide pins, a m/c prob, or if you're a two footed driver, make sure you're not riding the pedal.:duh:... look for signs that one or more rotors have overheated, look blue, or brown etc. Also make sure the brake pedal returns all the way, not binding etc.

It could be as simple as old fluid, boiling, but this will be associated with a spongy pedal as well though, so take that into account when diagnosing. if it has not been changed in 3 years, flush it. brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air, and the water boils at a temp much lower than brake fluid (212*F vs 400*F or higher for good fluid).

Front end vibrations are also caused by worn out suspension components, shocks, wheel bearings, ball joints, rod ends, etc. These would be apparent all the time though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply.
You were correct in suggesting the dragging brakes.
This was because of a bad brake line. Partially blocked.
I could squirt fluid out one side with ease but the other just kinda trickled.
No evidence looking at the calipers, pads and rotors.
I installed new brake lines, brake fluid and I put on new rotors.
We're now good to go!
Rear rotors and pads are next as they are OEM with 175k miles on them.

Love these Hondas, they are so easy to work on and parts are always easy to locate.
I appreciate the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts