Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
A while back, I broke the top socket off the serpentine tensioner too. We are looking to replace the alternator and at the same time replace the tensioner, but the price is like $182. Is this important to replace the tensioner because of the broken top bolt? Also, this is the original serpentine tensioner with about 202K miles. How long does the serpentine belt last? Thanks,
What do you mean by "broke a socket"?

By socket, what are you referring to?
1. Breaking the Dummy Nut that is used to move the Tensioner Pulley back and forth to install or remove the Serpentine Belt? (What happened to me.)
Or
2. Breaking one of the Bolts that are used to install the Tensioner & Pulley Assembly onto the Engine Block?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You should replace both the tensioner and the belt as part of the alternator job.
Make sure you get a genuine Honda tensioner and a Denso alternator.
Make sure your mechanic knows about the “purge” procedure for the new hydraulic tensioner.
I can’t tell you how long a serpentine belt lasts but most people change them every 100,000 miles as part of the timing belt job.
Yours is way overdue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What do you mean by "broke a socket"?

By socket, what are you referring to?
1. Breaking the Dummy Nut that is used to move the Tensioner Pulley back and forth to install or remove the Serpentine Belt? (What happened to me.)
Or
2. Breaking one of the Bolts that are used to install the Tensioner & Pulley Assembly onto the Engine Block?

Thanks!
I meant #1. Dummy nut. $182 is for the tensioner seems to be very expensive. Is that the right price?

Thanks,

·
Registered
133 Posts
You should replace both the tensioner and the belt as part of the alternator job.
Make sure you get a genuine Honda tensioner and a Denso alternator.
Make sure your mechanic knows about the “purge” procedure for the new hydraulic tensioner.
I can’t tell you how long a serpentine belt lasts but most people change them every 100,000 miles as part of the timing belt job.
Yours is way overdue.
Sorry. I mis-stated the information and question. The tensioner is the original tensioner with 202K. The serpentine belt is between 60-80K. We proactively replaced the serpentine belt whenever we get the serpentine belt off: Timing belt at 105K and the second time when we replaced the power steering pump. Does the tensioner needs to be replace at 202K? Is this a big deal to be missing the dummy nut? It seems that $182 is rather expensive for the tensioner. We would rather not replace it, but will if we need to. Thank you

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The hydraulic tensioner is $174 at Majestic (on-line discount site for genuine Honda parts).

With over 200,000 miles on your original tensioner, I would replace it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have posted my experience with a Mercedes on an Odyssey Club mainly because if somebody comes across this problem and wants to remove the Serpentine Belt Tensioner, he could use my approach that worked on a Mercedes and access the bolt that typically gets hidden behind the Tensioner Pulley without going through an expensive or time-consuming process on an Odyssey.
There are no hidden bolts on Odyssey tensioner. Both bolts are easily accessible for both types of tensioners. Additionally at least j35a7 hydraulic tensioner has two dummy bosses to release the tension, so if you strip one, you can use the other.

Reactions: btatbui2017

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Sorry. I mis-stated the information and question. The tensioner is the original tensioner with 202K. The serpentine belt is between 60-80K. We proactively replaced the serpentine belt whenever we get the serpentine belt off: Timing belt at 105K and the second time when we replaced the power steering pump. Does the tensioner needs to be replace at 202K? Is this a big deal to be missing the dummy nut? It seems that $182 is rather expensive for the tensioner. We would rather not replace it, but will if we need to. Thank you
If you are asking if you should replace it because of the broken dummy boss, answer is no.
If you are asking if you should replace it based on age and mileage, the answer is maybe. I can guarantee there is a bit of play in tensioner bearing by now.
Listen for noise and you can try testing the pulleys for plays, by removing the belt and trying to rock the pulley side to side.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts