Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, just wanted some thought and recommendation.

I was so excited the day we bought the van that I didn't check/inspect the van.
It really didn't matter to me regarding the odometer reading (200 plus miles) since they told me that they exhange the van for another van. Although it was stated that this was new-- there is an indication that this maybe a returned van from another dealership.

SO now I'm going to the dealership tom. for an oil change and I'm going to speak to the manager as well as my sales guy.

Hope I can have some piece of advice before I go there..

THANKS
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here are some of the things I see as indication why this MAY have a returned vehicle.. (we have an option here n Cleveland that we can return a purchased vehicle after 3 days)

1. there is this marking from like a "suction cup" of the rear glass and on the sides-- looks like someone put a sunshade or something

2. tires looks ALWAYS deflated BUT TMPS is not activated not unless its really really really saggy -- I did it on purpose and drive the van with very low air BUT boy I did not see any alert from the TMPS...

3. the side of the vehicle is not aligned with the rest of the panel..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think an automobile is considered new until a title is issued to an individual. I think an automobile dealer can take back a car and still sell it as new as long as a title had not been issued.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
I don't see how #2 and #3 indicate the vehicle was returned and as to #1, what if the original dealer from whom your dealer did the trade used a suction cup mount based Key Box as some dealers do keep the keys on the vehicle itself in a locked box. Just playing devil's advocate.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#2&3 was indication that they were defective.. Haha.. So in eventhough somebody actually owned it for a day or two but if it was never titled its still considered new!! Wth!!! What is wrong with our law!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
1. there is this marking from like a "suction cup" of the rear glass and on the sides-- looks like someone put a sunshade or something

2. tires looks ALWAYS deflated BUT TMPS is not activated not unless its really really really saggy -- I did it on purpose and drive the van with very low air BUT boy I did not see any alert from the TMPS...

3. the side of the vehicle is not aligned with the rest of the panel..

1) The suction cup could be from a lock box or, some states dictate that addendums (wheel locks, ventvisors, mud guards, etc.) are displayed on a state mandated addendum sticker that's usually displayed next to the window sticker.

2) The TPMS on my 05 didn't illuminate until the tires were damn near flat on the first cold snap experienced here in North Florida last week. Literally, they were like 15 psi low. Boy did I get spoiled in my 09 TSX where it displayed the tire pressure on the MID display.

3) Take it to your insurance agent or a good body shop, they have a device that will detect variations in the thickness of the paint expressed in mils. That variation would show any panels that have been repainted. I've seen a car that was dropped off the back of car carriers (the top tier) onto its hatch that were repaired at the dealer and sold as new. That's what they are, new. :rollingeyes:

I once bought a dealer trade vehicle & later discovered the driver's front headlamp assembly had been replaced. These are car salesmen dealing with other car salesmen, lol, what did I expect? ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it looks like if #3 is factory instAlled-- i have no choice but to accept.. But if its not, its still a grounds to forward a complain since i was not informed? Right?

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
So it looks like if #3 is factory instAlled-- i have no choice but to accept.. But if its not, its still a grounds to forward a complain since i was not informed? Right?
No. Quite frankly, I don't even understand what you mean by "the side of the vehicle is not aligned with the rest of the panel". Can you take a picture and show us what you are talking about? Is the dealership refusing to fix whatever problem you see? Why didn't you notice it when you inspected the vehicle prior to signing the paperwork?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. Quite frankly, I don't even understand what you mean by "the side of the vehicle is not aligned with the rest of the panel". Can you take a picture and show us what you are talking about? Is the dealership refusing to fix whatever problem you see? Why didn't you notice it when you inspected the vehicle prior to signing the paperwork?

hey ody fan. I'm here at the dealer and it looks like there was a repair made based on the VIN... I am not aware of this when I made the purchase!:huh::nothappy:

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
I'm here at the dealer and it looks like there was a repair made based on the VIN... I am not aware of this when I made the purchase!
Wow. I wish you luck. But odds are you're SOL since you didn't catch it before you picked it up. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ask fo r a car fax.If its beeen wrecked it will show as well as previously beeen owned. They can do some repairs that do not effect its being new.200 miles doesn't mean much really;especailly if it was bought later in the model year. Just transprotig form anhter dealer and test driving can easily do that.I believe most staes require mileage be on paperwrok and you sign for it. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Ask fo r a car fax.If its beeen wrecked it will show as well as previously beeen owned. They can do some repairs that do not effect its being new.200 miles doesn't mean much really;especailly if it was bought later in the model year. Just transprotig form anhter dealer and test driving can easily do that.I believe most staes require mileage be on paperwrok and you sign for it. Good Luck
My eyes hurt just trying to read this.....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ I wasn't gonna go there to exchange. Nope, nothing happened. They gave the history and it looks like even just to a put a license plate bracket is considered "repair". :rollingeyes:

My plan was to just report them to HONDA if in case they were dishonest. as I said on my previous post-- we may trade it again after 2 1/2 to 3 yrs of ownership..

·
Registered
63 Posts
My eyes hurt just trying to read this.....
That's funny right there! LOL

I always make a point to ask the dealer if a car has ever been in an accident or if it was a demo(demonstrator) vehicle. I like to get their answer in writing just to cover myself. Yes carfax is nice but it can only catch things that are reported. Hope all works out for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts