Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey and am very puzzled about a noise I am hearing and cannot pinpoint what it is coming from. Any thoughts would be appreciated - I know this is tough to do from just my description.

Noise is a rubbing type noise and usually occurs when turning tight such as on to a side street or pulling out of driveway. Noise seems to come from the passenger side towards the back of the vehicle. Cannot reproduce the sound everytime but tends to happen more when the van has not been driven for awhile. Not sure if this would help but I recently had the following repairs done: 1) Front struts 2)rear brakes 3)Magnefine inline tranny filter 4) four new tires.

Thank you for any thoughts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could it be a wheel bearing? I would think it would be a different type of noise if this is the case.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Now that you mention it, maybe it is one of these two possibilities:

1.) Wheel bearing (either forward or rear, on passenger side)

2.) Front axle outboard CV joint

OF

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would guess a bearing - but on my accord, the bearing was a loud groan... a cv joint is possible.. is it a clunking or rubbing sound?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Good suggestions above. Also, after the van has sat for awhile (your definition) check if the rotors (front and rear) have accumulated a film of rust. Side play in the turn may cause the rusty rotor to contact the pad and cause a rubbing (usually grinding) sound. Does the sound happen only at the start of your trip? Does it gradually disappear?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts