Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, bought it new in 04, have always loved it until now..

Pretty good about all maintenance up to this point..

this all started at 98k, now at 103k

Ac compressor failed..

Front fairing falling off..

of course needs timing belt etc.. ok with that..

Getting 420 and 430 code for catalytic converter 1 and 2

both slidingdoors needed to be fixed (did it myself)

ALL doors rattle and creak mightily

If done through Honda, all of this could cost over $6000..

I am at a loss at what to do.. suggestions?

Honda is no help, past warranty and they don't care, but I will NEVER buy another Honda, feels like I might have a throwaway at 103k..

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Why don't you fix these issues yourself.

All of these DIYs are in the forum.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
So I am confused, what were you expecting Honda to do at 103k? Did you have Hondacare?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really wasn't expecting them to do anything, but one can hope.. regardless, my Honda is falling apart and wondering if its worth keeping or fixing.. Sure I can fix it all, but whats next?? I certainly didn't buy a Honda expecting it to have so many issues at 100k, worst car I have ever owned!! I drove a pontiac vibe to 120k and only had to replace tires and brakes, drove a subaru to 220k and did timing belt, tires, brakes and a water pump..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ac compressor failed..
This may be a costly fix. Sometimes when a compressor fails it will break apart internally and release particles in your system that will need to be flushed out. If not flushed they will destroy the new compressor.

I think doors on all cars with your same age and wear will creak if they are never lubricated. Just spray some lithium greese on the hinges and they will be fine. Sliding doors are not too much different and will need some routine maintenace/repair.

I am at a loss at what to do.. suggestions?
Do what you can yourself and take the rest to a local shop. You can probably get it done for half the cost. You definately cant get another good used van for the same price.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ac compressor failed..Front fairing falling off..
Getting 420 and 430 code for catalytic converter 1 and 2
Honda is no help, past warranty and they don't care, but I will NEVER buy another Honda, feels like I might have a throwaway at 103k..
No clue how you'd get an estimate for 6k.

A/C replacement normal, I consider it normal here in FLA.

Front bumper cover...honestly it just "fell off" no parking stops involved?

o2 sensors, not abnormal

Your Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix.

I think some people believe because these vehicles are Hondas that they're indestructible.

It's 8 years old with 100k miles, what did you expect, womb to tomb warranty?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never heard of catalytic converter failing at 100k??

The front bumper does not show any signs of being hit, but its got these little clips that hold them in and they are very thin, maybe 2-3mm.. two of them broke somehow and therefore it cannot be re-attached.. needs a whole new bumper.. honda estimate around $2000..

no, I didn't expect to never put work into it, however, I didn't expect to have to put $6000 into it at 100k..

I certainly will buy Toyota next time, higher quality in my opinion..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do what you can yourself and take the rest to a local shop. You can probably get it done for half the cost. You definately cant get another good used van for the same price.[/QUOTE]

I don't consider this a "good" van...

Here is another example of how Honda likes to screw its customers..

AC compressor.. quote from Honda 1500 ish.. they are claiming you have to buy the compressor and the clutch separately.. but a internet search shows they always come together..

Just got an estimate for the exact same service through a local guy for $539 (same honda part, same warranty)..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just got an estimate for the exact same service through a local guy for $539 (same honda part, same warranty)..
That sounds resonable for that job.

The front bumper does not show any signs of being hit, but its got these little clips that hold them in and they are very thin, maybe 2-3mm.. two of them broke somehow and therefore it cannot be re-attached.. needs a whole new bumper.. honda estimate around $2000..
If I were you I would find a way to reattach the bumper using a non-OEM mounting method and save my $2000. The part you are talking about I believe is the cosmetic part. The real bumper should be behind it and it will take the impact from any collisions. I say that to dismiss any concern about the saftey of using other methods to attach the bumper.

In all with a little TLC your van can be in top shape again.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Guess you found out the meaning of stealership. Most repairs will be cheaper at an independent shop even with original Honda parts. If you check around, you may be able to get the parts yourself and bring it to a shop to install. There are many sites listed in the forums for parts.

If you believe that Toyota is better, you may be surprised to see that the Toyota dealers will have the same high prices for service and replacement parts, this is how dealerships make money, they are not in it for fun.

I have the same problem with the small white clips on my bumper being broken, only one of them, but I know why it broke, I hit a small drain pipe when I was driving on the grass..

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have never heard of catalytic converter failing at 100k?? ..
I doubt the cat is bad. It happens, but...please keep in mind, the code readers are excellent at diagnosing the *symptom* they don't 100% diagnose the *problem*.

If the code reads "catalyst efficiency below threshold" it could just mean a failed downstream sensor.

If it reads "rich/lean condition" it could be a primary sensor, a clogged fuel filter, injector, weak fuel pump, etc.

..whole new bumper.. honda estimate around $2000....
That estimate is almost twice what it should be, providing the bumper cover is all that's involved. Even then, there are CAPA certified aftermarket ones that would get you in at $1000 painted & installed. (Some allowance given depending on where you live.)

I certainly will buy Toyota next time, higher quality in my opinion..
Do you think you'll have a different experience in a Sienna after 8yrs/100k miles?

Not to be a jerk, but the more I read, the more it smells like someone e-farting in a room full of people to get a reaction. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't consider this a "good" van...

Here is another example of how Honda likes to screw its customers..

AC compressor.. quote from Honda 1500 ish.. they are claiming you have to buy the compressor and the clutch separately.. but a internet search shows they always come together..

The Honda compressors can not be purchased complete (despite what your google says) The quote given for the A/C repair using Honda parts is accurate. The quote given to you by your local guy is not for a new Honda part.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If the bumper looks good cosmetically then you just need to get a body man to attach it. They can do wonders with zip ties, plastic clips and body screws. No need to throw out the whole part.

All new cars (including Toyota) have a large number of basically non-serviceable and fragile plastic parts. But the good news is plastic is very easy to work with.

The Oysseyy is probably only average in reliability and not the pinnacle like a late 90s Toyota or the early CRVs. That said they get a lot done in comfort and are pretty affordable. I find mine worth the effort.

Toyota dealers are hands down the worst dealers around and often charge more than even the inflated list prices for parts. I guess they figure the cars are so good that they'll probably never see you again anyway so they go for blood. After the warranty period there is little reason to go to a dealer.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The front bumper does not show any signs of being hit, but its got these little clips that hold them in and they are very thin, maybe 2-3mm.. two of them broke somehow and therefore it cannot be re-attached.. needs a whole new bumper.. honda estimate around $2000...
My front bumper is currently damaged and I have already gotten the estimate from the body shop to get it fixed. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I know it is about 800-900 dollars for a new bumper and a new horn (it was damaged too). So $2000 is ridiculous.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You know, it may not be in a Honda box, and spec builds can vary, but Denso was/is the OE supplier for this compressor. The Denso 471-1630 with clutch, PAG oil and o-rings can be found on ebay for $250. (Does not fit LX, but the LX compressor is the same price.)

If mine goes bad, I'd have *no issues* running a new Denso.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regarding the question on a catalytic converter failing under 100,000 miles and the answer is yes. GM W bodies such as the Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Bonneville, and Impala between 2000 and 2005 did have such a problem and a TSB was issued regarding them. I am sure other vehicles have had similar problems as well in the past.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Listen , I have the same situation with my 2005 ody, let me ask you one question, can you buy the same type of vehicle that you currently have for 6ooo$ . If you dont got the dough to buy something newer, invest in what you got. Roll down the windows, and fix whats really critical. Everything needs regular maintenance, pay now or pay later ,you still have to pay. Also, you know what you got, buy something new , and youll only find out what you got after you paid for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts