Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My wife noticed the power sliding door on the driver side wasn't working and let me know and upon quick inspection I see a torn or cut cable dangling from the side, coming from the rear. KNowing that the cable could possibly be replaced, I ordered the ebay replacement kit and performed the procedure as outlined in this great video by this fellow odyssey owner:

HOWEVER, my issues continued:

The door functioned okay manually opening and closing no problem. I turn on car, turn ON power sliding door switch and all of a sudden the driver side door doesn't seem to want to work right. At first not fully opening or closing and making a lot of noises at the motor assembly. After a while the power switches did nothing. I open the motor up to see the new cables I put in had exploded again with the ferrules coming off and pieces of cable sheathing everywhere with the cable mangled.

Fast forward to today when I picked up a new motor assembly from Honda (~$620)
with the revised part number (honda 72050-tk8-305) and I install every piece new, including the metal guide/roller piece that came with it. I lubed up all the tracks with Honda Shin Etsu grease to ensure everything moves. Again manually the doors worked and functioned well.

Problem: The new motor assembly seemed to die and just out of curiousity, I pop open the cover and see that the cable again is mangled. The dealer gave me a replacement part since same day it was having issues and I'm hoping it was defective but I'm thinking there are other issues here I'm missing.

I have a new motor assembly now in box and before I install it, are there any technical or computer steps I have to do to make sure this works right or that the cables are aligned properly? Does the door have to be in a specific position first before i operate this? What's the issue that I'm missing here so I don't blow out another motor assembly in fixing this?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi all,

My wife noticed the power sliding door on the driver side wasn't working and let me know and upon quick inspection I see a torn or cut cable dangling from the side, coming from the rear. KNowing that the cable could possibly be replaced, I ordered the ebay replacement kit and performed the procedure as outlined in this great video by this fellow odyssey owner:

The door functioned okay manually opening and closing no problem. I turn on car, turn ON power sliding door switch and all of a sudden the driver side door doesn't seem to want to work right. At first not fully opening or closing and making a lot of noises at the motor assembly. After a while the power switches did nothing. I open the motor up to see the new cables I put in had exploded again with the ferrules coming off and pieces of cable sheathing everywhere with the cable mangled.

with the revised part number (Honda 72050-tk8-305) and I install every piece new, including the metal guide/roller piece that came with it. I lubed up all the tracks with Honda Shin Etsu grease to ensure everything moves. Again manually the doors worked and functioned well.

Problem: The new motor assembly seemed to die and just out of curiousity, I pop open the cover and see that the cable again is mangled. The dealer gave me a replacement part since same day it was having issues and I'm hoping it was defective but I'm thinking there are other issues here I'm missing.

I have a new motor assembly now in box and before I install it, are there any technical or computer steps I have to do to make sure this works right or that the cables are aligned properly? Does the door have to be in a specific position first before i operate this? What's the issue that I'm missing here so I don't blow out another motor assembly in fixing this?
just watched the video. VERY GOOD. Thanks for sharing that.
his reset steps at the end seem to be all you will need to do, after removing and replacing with the dealer part.

What an awful and painful design.
I have no experience with this, and do not look forward to the day I need to change the cable on my 2012 TE.

I do have questions...

did you invest in a proper ferrule crimp tool for the original cable replacement job?
did you route the front cable behind the spool and the rear cable in the front of the spool.

I took a look at the dealer part and it comes complete, so no messing with the spool or routing cables through sheaths, just remove the old unit install the new and connect the cables to the door.

I may go with full replacement should this ever happen to me.

pick your battles

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi all,

with the revised part number (honda 72050-tk8-305) and I install every piece new, including the metal guide/roller piece that came with it. I lubed up all the tracks with Honda Shin Etsu grease to ensure everything moves. Again manually the doors worked and functioned well.

@m4gician, if you followed the video then this is your problem.
This was in the comments of the BackYardTech youtube video.

mdapple 5 months ago (edited)

Well, you certainly helped me fix my door. I wouldn't have tried this without your video as a guide. The parts I bought also provided videos (by email, not posted). There was an important contradiction between the two videos. At 31:00 you incorrectly state what cables goes on each side of the pulley. Although you are working the drivers side door, you gave instructions for the passenger side door. If one follows your instructions for the drivers side door, the cable will cross and the open/close functions will switch and produce erroneous data for the position sensors. You must have figured this out because at 34:10 it is very clear that the cables do not cross and you corrected this error in your installation. Also, I found it easier to hand wind the cable with the door nearly fully open. That way I only had to keep one cable tight on the pulley and not two. Otherwise, I had no issues. You did a great job of pointing out where the troubles are. I think I saved over $1500. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@m4gician, if you followed the video then this is your problem.
This was in the comments of the BackYardTech youtube video.

mdapple 5 months ago (edited)

Well, you certainly helped me fix my door. I wouldn't have tried this without your video as a guide. The parts I bought also provided videos (by email, not posted). There was an important contradiction between the two videos. At 31:00 you incorrectly state what cables goes on each side of the pulley. Although you are working the drivers side door, you gave instructions for the passenger side door. If one follows your instructions for the drivers side door, the cable will cross and the open/close functions will switch and produce erroneous data for the position sensors. You must have figured this out because at 34:10 it is very clear that the cables do not cross and you corrected this error in your installation. Also, I found it easier to hand wind the cable with the door nearly fully open. That way I only had to keep one cable tight on the pulley and not two. Otherwise, I had no issues. You did a great job of pointing out where the troubles are. I think I saved over $1500. Thanks.
thank you.

i saw that and wasn't an issue as I did it correctly with cables.

I will rehome the doors as per instructions though when I install new motor this weekend

m4gician
2012 Touring (Canada)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
thank you.

i saw that and wasn't an issue as I did it correctly with cables.

I will rehome the doors as per instructions though when I install new motor this weekend

m4gician
2012 Touring (Canada)
good luck...
where did you get the part? I have a 2012 TE and expect this menace will go eventually on mine.

cheers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good luck...
where did you get the part? I have a 2012 TE and expect this menace will go eventually on mine.

cheers.
dealer.

got it for $620 after taxes

m4gician
2012 Touring (Canada)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
dealer.

got it for $620 after taxes

m4gician
2012 Touring (Canada)
thanks...

not a wicked deal, but better than 1200 installed by them.

I can take panels off and remove bolts and feed cables just as good as they can.
:D

what was the cable replacement part # from ebay?

posts are coming up more on busted door cables, now that this generation is moving up in age.

thanks...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Replaced the part with the new dealer part. I know I could've spent 80% less on just the new cable. However, I have a warrantied part now with new motor AND a replacement motor if the other side breaks.

Taking apart and putting this back together is time consuming but very easy. Very happy to help anyone with this if needed.

Reactions: Ticket
1 - 8 of 8 Posts