Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've encountered two difficulties during the installation of a JVC radio/cassette/cd changer. (1) The installation went fine, and all the JVC stuff worked, but when I was done, there were no connections for the leads on the Odyssesy harness for the instrument light and the dimmer. I am using the Odyssesy-specific harness adapter - by Scosche - that I purchased from a local audio shop. The wiring matches one for one. The instrument lights don't work now, with or without the dimmer. There are no leads coming from the JVC harness to connect to them. The headlights work o.k. Does anyone know what I should do with the instrument/dimmer leads to get the instrument lights to work? The odometer is still lit. (2) The more immediate problem. While trying to figure out what to do with the instrument leads from the wiring harness, I touched the instrument leads to the 12V leads. Bad move. I heard a pop, sort of like a fuse blowing. Now the front parking lights and the taillights don't work. Headlights are still o.k., back-up is o.k., and turn signals, front and rear, are o.k. I can't find any indication in the owner's manual of a fuse for the parking lights or taillights. Does anyone know whether they are fused, and if so, where the fuse is?? Or, are they somehow connected with the instrument light problem?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've never had to check any fuses yet, but I'm sure the lights are fused. There's a under dash fuse/relay panel on the passenger's side behind the kick panel. I would check the fuses there. Maybe fuse #10.

I know they say hindsight is 20/20, but always meter out wires before connecting them. I think A9 on the radio connector is is the (+) side of dim control and A19 is the (-).

Maybe Harry or Chuck can help you more when they read your post.

Good luck.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure how to determine the A-19 etc wires, or what I should be doing with them. Ah, yes. Instruction #1: Disconnect the battery. Well, I found a fuse that was blown. It was in the box on the front passenger side kick panel. The fuse wasn't labeled anything like parking lights or taillights. It was labelled power window, front left. That had always worked. So, I replaced it, and voila, the parking and taillights work. I am the second owner of this car, and I know it had some major repair work done on it. It could be that they re-connected the wiring incorrectly. It's a relief to at least have the exterior lights back. The instrument panel is still not illuminated however. I did find a fuse labelled instrument lights, but it isn't blown. It must have something to do with the two leads that go nowhere at present. Any further advice out there about the instrument lights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Aftermarket headunit doesn't use connector 9 (RED/BACK - Illumination +), it uses connector 19 (RED - Illumination -). Connector 19 is between BLACK ground wire (connector 20) and GREY/BLACK wire (connector 18).

Dash and Console lights fuse is fuse 10 at passenger side fuse box, that's probably the one you replaced. The other fuse that's related to the Console lights is Fuse 9 at driver side fuse box. What else don't work besides the instrument lights?

-Harry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, hgani.

My instrument illumination is the only thing not working. That's why the two unused "illumination" leads indicate I need to do something with them. What puzzles me is that the radio illuminates fine. It's the instrument panel that doesn't light up. So I'm trying to determine what I might do with these two unused leads that are extensions of the Honda harness illumination and dimmer leads. They have no where to go on the aftermarket radio unit. All the aftermarket unit's leads are being used.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The connector to the radio supplies necessary ciruits for the radio and speakers, not for the other instrument panel lights. Take a look at the fuse panel on the driver's side, like Harry suggested. I would think the two extra wires should be insulated and tied back on the cable as they are not needed if your radio has light. Does your dash dimmer control work on the radio?

Have you tried disconnecting the radio connector adapter to see if your dash lights work again? If so, or if you find a fuse blown and it blows again when you reconnect the radio adapter, you have a wire connected wrong on your adapter.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lanny - Thanks. After reading your message, it dawned on me that I did reconnect the OEM radio last night, and the instrument lights still didn't work. So it would seem that either a fuse (or bulb?) is blown that I didn't find (I've looked at them all), or I loosened something when I was running the cd changer BUS under the dash. That won't be easy to find, if that's what it is. I'll take another look at the fuses in good light.

Does anyone know where the light for the instruments is physically located?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The 2 connectors on the OEM side that won't be connected to the radio is connector 3 (GREEN/RED - steering wheel control) and connector 9 (RED/BLACK - illumination +).
Check your JVC installation manual and make sure the illumination input is connected to connector 19 (RED with BLACK strip). Sometimes those harness adapters are wrong.
Your JVC has illumination even if it's dimmer control is not connected, but it will not be dimmed along with the rest of the dash lights. With dash lights off, it'll have full illumination, with dash lights on however, it will be somewhat dimmer. That's what the input is for.

Every fuse in the fuse box controls several items in the car, that's the reason why I asked what else don't work. Fuse 9 control the Gauge assembly (A/T Gear position, clock LCD backlight, Gauge Lights-6 of them, dimmer control, etc. Check that fuse first because that's the fuse that supply power to the dash light.

-Harry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harry - Thanks for that information. I will check as you suggested. From what I can tell, everything else is working...which I suppose also points to a loose wire or blown bulb under the dash as a result of my poking around there. I'm travelling the next couple of days, so it will be Wednesday or Thursday before I can check further. I'll let you know if I find anything. Thanks to all for your contributions to this point.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check the other fuse box. Perhaps you burnt out the rheostat. The reason why the JVC had no illumination wire is because it does not have a dimmer circuit. It stays lit at constant level at all times.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a couple of days away from home - and the Odyssey, I have returned and re-checked the wiring of the JVC to the factory wires. It all looks correct. Unfortunately, a couple of new warning lights are now on.

I have insulated the two extra wires. The radio is illuminated (at one constant level, no dimming) at all times. The instrument lights still won't come on when I use the parking or headlights. I also noticed that the odometer and clock lights cut way down when I turn on the parking/headlights.

The difference now is that the SRS (airbag?) warning light is always on, and the "check engine" icon is also always on. I believe this may have resulted from my systematic removal of every fuse in all three boxes. One removal may have interrupted a circuit that set off an alarm to the monitoring system.

Any further ideas out there? Is there a way to get those warning lights to turn off, like with the "maintenance required" light where you use the reset and ignition switch?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Remove the "Clock Backup" fuse at the passenger fuse box for about 10 seconds then plug it back in see if that fix SRS & Check engine light.

If the Odometer and Clock brightness goes down when the headlights come on that indicates that the dimming circuit is working. Did you try to rotate the dimmer control all the way clockwise? If that doesn't work, it's possible that the rheostat is burned out as toyman indicated in which case you would need to bring the car to the dealer. (hints: put the original stereo back and play dumb when you talk to the service advisor!)

-Harry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts