Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Looking for some help here. I'm in the middle of changing out my timing belt on my 2008 Odyssey EX-L w/194k miles (It's ~19 degF in Michigan today). 1st timing belt I've done personally, but this will be vehicle's 3rd.

I turned the crank to get both crankshafts in the correct position before starting removal of the belt; and after I started removing the timing belt and one of the pulleys I noticed that the rear camshaft was no longer in the correct position, but the crank and front camshaft both still were! I'm not sure how this happened; I don't know how the rear one could have turned without turning the others since they were all connected via the timing belt...

What do I need to do to make sure the rear camshaft is set properly, now that it's off?

See the pictures below for reference:

Picture of the rear camshaft (the white marks I made are where it was aligned prior to [blank] happening; I still don't know what that blank was:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Automotive design Rim

Picture of the front camshaft (the white dots I made are aligned):
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Automotive design Rim

Picture of the crank (still aligned):
Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim

Overview of the work (damage?) completed so far:
Hood Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Also, the rubber in the side motor mount I removed is basically shredded. Any issues with just replacing that mount and not the others? I thought rule of thumb is to replace them together when doing it, so looking for some insight here too.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a thread related to this topic. Seems like the rear cam sprocket tends to take the liberty to spring forward about 45 degrees on its own, so the recommendation at this thread (https://www.piloteers.org/threads/timing-belt-tdc-issues.108905) is to turn the rear cam counter clockwise until the alignment marks align, and then quickly install the timing belt, doing so counter clockwise starting with the crank.

Concurrence? Any dissenting opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Any issues with just replacing that mount and not the others?
No. At least for now. Assess after running again.

And muzzle it after running too if not done already.

Never had a cam move on me but heard of it.
Yes you turn it slowly (the Cam) - direction - don't know. Likely back the opposite way it turned out of position, I would assume. Not back all the way around again, I would assume.

Yes; from that thread linked above;
If the crankshaft and the front cam are lined up with their timing marks and the rear cam isn't, you will most likely need to rotate the rear camshaft counter clockwise about 1/4 turn to get the marks to line up. Try a 17mm wrench on the Cam sprocket bolt.

Goodluck

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found a thread related to this topic. Seems like the rear cam sprocket tends to take the liberty to spring forward about 45 degrees on its own, so the recommendation at this thread (https://www.piloteers.org/threads/timing-belt-tdc-issues.108905) is to turn the rear cam counter clockwise until the alignment marks align, and then quickly install the timing belt, doing so counter clockwise starting with the crank.

Concurrence? Any dissenting opinions?

Thanks!
Yes -correct. I’ve had this happen to me as well while routing the belt. Get a long box wrench or socket wrench and carefully move the rear cam gear (CCW in your case) back up to TDC, then press on. No big deal.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I'm not sure how this happened; I don't know how the rear one could have turned without turning the others since they were all connected via the timing belt...
The valve springs did what valve springs do...applied pressure to the cam lobes. After you removed the TB. That pressure on either the "up" slope or "down" slope can move the camshaft.

·
Registered
2010 Odyssey EX, Canadian
1,292 Posts
Jumpy rear camshaft, nothing new. Just be careful moving it back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts