Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm helping out a friend of mine she's got an Odyssey where the running lights stopped working and the dash lights stopped working. After looking at the bulbs and finding them okay in the back check the fuse and it was blown trying to put another fuse in it blew instantly. The bulb sockets looked fine the wiring looked fine. I'm wondering if it's something in the stalk switch?

I'm not unfamiliar with tracking down electrical issues but if somebody has any helpful information it would be great. This van has over 200, 000 and is n't worth making a perfect fix plus the owner is short on cash but if it's just something in the switch I could rig a separate circuit bypassing the stock switch just so the lights come on all the time with the ignition.
But I'm jumping ahead I'm thinking I would just take all the bulbs out of the running lights and test the circuit for a short see if I can figure out where that problem is.
Would be easier if I could figure out where the stalk plugs into the harness and test from there including testing the stalk. TIA.
Ps I sold my van for a Subaru for winter driving but I am trying to help this lady out thank you.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Well, the exterior light sockets are near the end of the circuit. The short is somewhere ahead of the socket, so removing the bulb would unfortunately have no effect.

I would test sections of the circuit starting from the fuse.

I assume from the title that the van is a 2004. Is it LX or EX/EXL trim? (The lighting circuit is different for each.) Is it passenger box fuse 10 that's blowing?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its LX, and yes passenger fuse 10. Any help you can give would help she's currently out of work and I'm trying to help but don't want to take on major project. I have many of my own. I'm guessing possibly the stalk has issues for those lights causing short. But need to trace it, that's where some information would help on color codes and I'll check YouTube for info on the stalk replacement.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Yeah, the headlight switch is worth investigating.

To start, try just disconnecting the headlight switch. If the fuse holds, the switch is the problem. If the fuse still blows, it's in the power wire to the headlight switch. (All this assumes that the headlight switch is in the OFF position when the fuse blow.)

Is the headlight switch in the OFF position when the fuse blows?)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it got dark and I didn't get a chance to look at it real heavily. If the lady had told me the fuse blue before I started looking at The reason her lights weren't working I would have saved me some time. You know typically if the lights aren't working the bulbs are burned out. And I wasn't sure she had bought the right bulbs and all that so anyway that's why I started there.

When I see her next time I'll look at it more. Do you happen to know if like the dash lights those are right off of the switch correct and then the larger lights like front running and rear tail lights those are off of the relay? Or is all the lights on that circuit off of the relay? Just kind of thinking out loud until I can get the van again to do some tests on. I mean it's possible that like a rat or mouse or something chewed some of the wiring harness that happens and it was parked for over three or four months.

Yeah, the headlight switch is worth investigating.

To start, try just disconnecting the headlight switch. If the fuse holds, the switch is the problem. If the fuse still blows, it's in the power wire to the headlight switch. (All this assumes that the headlight switch is in the OFF position when the fuse blow.)

Is the headlight switch in the OFF position when the fuse blows?)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I searched online for wiring diagram for this area of the van electrical and was unsuccessful finding one. If anyone has a clue on where to look, that would help. I had a set of repair manuals for my 06 but sold them with the van. I did see other posts regarding IP and Driving lights not working, those were not helpful FYI.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone tried this source for service manual (including wiring diagram)? Seems a bit shady (fine print at bottom says it's a "backup copy" but have bought some PDF files before and they were OK.

Honda PDF service manual on eBay

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Reactions: Dirkdaddy

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
Have you looked at the 99-04 Odyssey section at this sticky: 1999-2004 Honda Odyssey Electrical Troubleshooting Manual ? Instructions are in the first post- but many report trouble accessing the link.
I was going to suggest posting this in the section of this board dedicated to those model years. This section seems like the right place, but it is a vestige of when there was only a couple of versions of the Odyssey.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't able to get access to the files even after getting the menu gor accessories then trying in s different window on chrome.
I did consider the generation forum but used to be this was the place, thanks for suggestions.
I'm thinking the stalk has a short. But will try to isolate it & test.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
... if like the dash lights those are right off of the switch correct and then the larger lights like front running and rear tail lights those are off of the relay? Or is all the lights on that circuit off of the relay?
They are all fed by the headlight switch - running lights front and rear, and dash lights.

(Tough trying to solve a problem when you get the symptoms in dribs and drabs...like drinking through a straw! LOL)

Reactions: Dirkdaddy

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are all fed by the headlight switch - running lights front and rear, and dash lights.

(Tough trying to solve a problem when you get the symptoms in dribs and drabs...like drinking through a straw! LOL)
That is kinda helpful but wondering if the dash lights are fed directly off switch and then the outside lights are off the relay? That's what I am thinking is the situation but I have no wiring diagram to go by at this point trying to help someone. Sorry if info came in drabs you should have seen me trying to fix / test voltage for her tail lights then she says "oh yea and the fuse blew" LOL (facepalm) so typical for helping someone.

Reason I was asking this question above, is that on such a beater van and low budget, I was figuring I could cut (and label, tie up) the feed wire from switch to the relay and make the running lights (and dash lights?) come on 100% of the time. But perhaps finding the proper used stalk might be better solution, just trying to plan on a repair strategy. If the dash lights are fed directly from stalk switch on that circuit, I'd have to for sure replace the stalk switch. I don't think she's really working much these days so just trying to keep cost to minimum.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Sorry if info came in drabs you should have seen me trying to fix / test voltage for her tail lights then she says "oh yea and the fuse blew" LOL (facepalm) so typical for helping someone.
No, not at all: not you to me - your friend to you. Your descriptions have been plenty clear with the information you were given.

Okay, about the dash lights...

There's no relay in this circuit.

You may have seen mention of an interior lights relay - that's for the dome lights. Also, EX/EXL models route the dash lights through the taillight relay - your friend's LX does not have one.

The LX dash and console lights are directly wired off the headlight switch, like in this elementary diagram: (wish I could find a link to the proper diagram)

Fuse 10 -> Headlight switch -> Dash lights -> Multiplexer <- Brightness control

1 - 14 of 14 Posts