Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me on the installation of the 6disc in dash CD player as Honda wants to charge me over $125 to do it as well another $100 for the ashtray. Is it difficult to do or is it fairly easy? Your help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Allen Lee
2002 EX-L
Starlight Silver

------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
Very easy to do:
1) Put gear selector in 1.
2) Remove dash cover by pulling on edge near steering column (held in by 10 clips).
3) Disconnect attached wiring harnesses (4 total).
4) Radio is held in by 4 screws - remove them.
5) Remove pocket and replace with in-dash CD player. Connect CD player to back of radio.
6) Screw radio back in, connect wiring harnesses and pop the cover back on.

That's it. Can't comment on the ashtray but I can't imagine that being any more difficult. Also, the H and A website has downloadable instructions for the changer, though I don't recommend popping out the fog light switch cover. It's in there pretty good and doesn't pop out easily. I did this on mine and it left marks. I wish I would've known, but now you know.

Dealer wants $125? That's a fifteen minute job, tops!

------------------
Never thought I could get so excited over a minivan!
'02 GG EX-L
'93 Acura Legend L

[This message has been edited by vquan (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Of the two accessories, the cigarette lighter installation is the more complicated procedure. Installing the cigarette lighter requires removing the radio (in order to connect the wiring harness) so it's a good idea to do the two at the same time.

It'll take you a little longer to install the cigarette lighter than the radio because you have to run more wires. It's not a very difficult process. IIRC, the directions are correct (unlike the fog light instructions).

HondaPartsForYou (www.hondapartsforyou) sells the ashtray for about $35, with free shipping. You can't beat this price.

Mel

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going to install the 6 CD Changer in my 02 Odyssey also and I was THINKING of installing the ashtray. My wife says she's going to quit, so I am hesitant to bother with the ashtray. Can you tell me if I can install the ashtray without bothering with the electrical for the lighter? If so, is it just a matter of sliding out the cupholder and sliding in the ashtray and not having to remove any other componants?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Baxter said:
...is it just a matter of sliding out the cup holder and sliding in the ashtray and not having to remove any other components? ...
The quick answer is: YES! But I wouldn't recommend it. Many of us have installed the ashtray just to get the extra power outlet. Granted, doing the wiring is the major part of the installation but it really isn't that difficult.

Here's a link to H and A-Accessories Installation Instructions for the ashtray.

Mel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the information! Here's a couple more questions: First, isn't there a lighter (or maybe it's just an "electrical outlet") in the front passenger area already? I don't have my Odyssey yet, so I don't know. Second, does any of the Honda accessories internet sites sell the ashtray without the lighter?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Baxter,

I don't think you'll have any luck finding an ashtray w/o the lighter, at least, not from Honda.

Yes, there is one power outlet in the front of the Ody. It's at floor level below the storage compartment, below the radio, etc. You definitely don't want to try using a lighter down there.

I added power outlets (3) under the driver's seat powered by the power seat circuit(s). I think you can find that in this forum.

Mel

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Mel said:

HondaPartsForYou (www.hondapartsforyou) sells the ashtray for about $35, with free shipping. You can't beat this price.
Mel, you are bit out dated on the price for ash tray for $35. Few weeks ago, they redid their site and corrected the price for the ash tray to $124.80 but they will match the price at Hparts.com of $113 and free shipping at (www.hondapartsforyou). I missed the $35 price by 24 hours!:mad:
Far as the install, its not too bad, but get a offset screw driver, you will need it when you install it, don't do like me and use a screwdriver bit and pliers(now i have a bit somewhere inside the dash), there is already a wire going through the fire wall, just need to hook up fuseable like at battery and to a connector thats under the air box area(i did have to take out the air filter box to get to the connector, air box is only held on by 2 bolts). The worse part of the ash tray install was installing the new brackets for the ash tray itself(because i didn't have an offset screw driver and looking for the bit i dropped).

Thanks for the information! Here's a couple more questions: First, isn't there a lighter (or maybe it's just an "electrical outlet") in the front passenger area already? I don't have my Odyssey yet, so I don't know. Second, does any of the Honda accessories internet sites sell the ashtray without the lighter?
You can not use the electrical outlet at bottom for lighter. There is only one Honda ash tray and it comes with lighter.
Just installed ash tray with fog lights past weekend. Both are well worth the time to install.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts