Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please, I am the owner of a 2004 honda odyssey and am currently going through some really really really frustrating problems with my odyssey, for a while now she's been sitting in my back yard (less than 6 month) getting parts replaced because she won't start, I've replaced the starter, the alternator, the battery, and the fuel pump! The initial problem is that she kicks like she wants to start but just won't complete the starting process. With that being said I came to the conclusion that it HAS to be the timing. Sure enough I got into the hood and took off camshaft and crankshaft coverings and discovered the timing marks are not aligned. The two camshafts weren't far off and seemed to be in sequence because when I aligned one side to timing mark the other moved perfectly into place with it, now that I have both camshafts aligned I went down to the pulley bolt removed it and found that crankshaft is misaligned as well. I do not want to misalign or mess with the placement of camshafts now that they are were they need to be but am having so much trouble finding information on how to align the
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Tread

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Light

Automotive tire Wheel Gear Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

crankshaft pulley without moving the cam shafts out of placement. Please if anyone can help me with my situation it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The odyssey has a arrow on the engine that needs to line up with a really small arrow on the crankshaft (the arrow is hard to see but is at the very bottom in my picture, it kinda looks like a black dot) but I have no idea how to align it without camshafts going out of placement

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way I have already aligned the camshafts with the number one on both being aligned with the timing marks I will upload a picture when I get back home thanks again for tuning in!

·
Registered
196 Posts
You line up the crank and check the cams not vise versa.

Remember the crank turns twice for each full turn of the cams so on one turn the cams will be 180° out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You need to line up the crank sprocket arrow with the small arrow on the block and then check and see how your cam sprockets are lined up. Right now your 180 degrees and the crank sprocket arrow is pointing down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Remember the crank turns twice for each full turn of the cams so on one turn the cams will be 180° out.
Okay thanks for that tip! I did not turn it a full turn but i turned the crank shaft till the small arrow was aligned with the arrow on the engine plate, my cam shafts are perfectly aligned as well! I have not tried cranking the engine yet because I still have to put the engine mount and fuel pump back on but I will keep you updated thanks man much appreciated 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to line up the crank sprocket arrow with the small arrow on the block and then check and see how your cam sprockets are lined up. Right now your 180 degrees and the crank sprocket arrow is pointing down.
Yes I see that now, I went ahead and turned the crank shaft till it was aligned with the arrow on the engine plate and booyah my cam shafts are aligned perfectly where they are supposed to be at now I must put everything back together and crank the engine cross my fingers and hope this baby starts, thanks again I will keep you posted with results!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Okay so I aligned the crankshaft and cam shaft gears and put everything back together, I cranked the engine but unfortunately, still no luck! When I cranked the engine the timing was thrown off. She sounds like she wants to start so bad! No battery drainage no clicking or knocking sounds but for some reason she just won't crank up. Any help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so I aligned the crankshaft and cam shaft gears and put everything back together, I cranked the engine but unfortunately, still no luck! When I cranked the engine the timing was thrown off. She sounds like she wants to start so bad! No battery drainage no clicking or knocking sounds but for some reason she just won't crank up. Any helpful suggestions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm a little confused at what is going wrong here. But if the timing is off after cranking it the belt is slipping. You could have someone crank the car for you while you look at the belt to see if it's jumping all over the place. If it is the belt tensioner needs to be checked.

You do have the woodruff key in the crank pulley, correct?

Why did you park the car months ago in the first place?

·
Registered
196 Posts
If the timing slipped this bad it A) Would not have lined up again 2 days ago amd B) would have already destroyed the engine so this is all moot.
I agree with going back 6 mths. What happened then?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts