Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before you guys kill me with comments I’m 30 and a chick who doesn’t know crap I’m being honest.

my husband and brother both work on cars and do mine usually.

husband hasnt really done a timing belt water pump before but he knew the process I guess idk

anyways 2003 Honda Odyssey won’t start now

I’ve been reading comments here for 3 days lol decided to actually post now..

He did the belt , pump, he’s checked spark plugs , fuel pump , new battery in the damn van he’s replaced tons on this and everything I’ve had and we never have this issue. Van wasn’t the best van before but wasn’t in awful shape I’d save average? It’s like 160k miles

it’s my only car and I need help with ideas to go read to him as he is just standing thinking what the heck in the garage. Lol

cranks but won’t turn over has spark has fuel can smell fuel when you pull a plug an try to start it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also people of this forum when you see this don’t laugh please. How much would a shop charge me for this ? I work my butt off but just paid off debts is why I drive a older van... is it time to just say screw it and leave it ? Get something else? It was driving fine before this.. anyone else have any major issues in this year if so what do I expect to fix next?
Don’t know tons about it like I said I want to learn tho my brother is a mechanic but does like giant trucks, my grandpa was but he passed.. so I’ve watched a lot of cars and things be worked on and I like to watch and learn and I’ve read and I’m just at a loss , my brother said he didn’t want to do this from the start and take it to a shop 😑

toss me ideas tho I’ll read them comments and have them go thru whatever list you guys make of what it could be

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
couple things come to mind...

were all the timing marks bang on when the belt was replaced?

when the water pump was removed did they flood the crank sensor with coolant, and did they rinse and air dry it?

dont give up on it, these vans besides the transmissions can go quite a while, my 2001 EX is still running with family.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, engines are good for 400,000 miles. I had 327,000 before the wreck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To replace the timing belt from scratch at a shop is between $800 and $1000. That's usually with the water pump replacement. Probably one belt cog off. I have always had this done because 1) it's a lot of work in a tight space, and 2) the consequences of it going bad are very bad, like bent valves or dents or holes in pistons.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Had 329k on my wife’s 01 before selling it to my son for a $1 back in March. It’s still on the road and he has killed several cars in the past few years.. change the timing belt, change the trans fluid regularly, clean the EGR ports every couple of years, don’t drive like you are on a nascar track, do routine and some proactive maintenance and they will last a long time. Purchased it on 2011 with 198k w/ a freshly rebuilt trans by a local builder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts