Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The background…

So last weekend I bought a 2005 Odyssey EX-L w/RES and NAV with 44,000 miles. It was a one owner car (per carfax) and sold to me from a car broker who buys mostly from auctions. I didn't have the history of the van (as one might if they buy it privately) so I looked at the carfax history and called the two dealerships where the van was serviced in the past. Unfortunately besides the oil changes there wasn’t much to go on. It’s only 44K but I was hoping to see any history about how they serviced the van.

After reading the car manual I saw I could check the oil percentage and any other service needed on the car itself and that was great (love that option) I did find that the oil life was 100% and no codes came up for service needed. I also checked the van over and all the other fluids and air filters and all were good so that was a good sign that either the car was well cared for or the place I bought it from serviced it before selling it.

Here is my dilemma and question to you guys…

I bought a 3y/36K warranty that covers most all problems that may occur, not including routine maintenance. I’ve never been a person to buy extended warranty but never owning a minivan before and since it was used I decided to buy it. The van runs smoothly and everything inside the car works as it should but I notice a whining sound at low speeds that definitely needs to get looked at. I read through TSB in the “sticky threads” here and it seems like it could be “TSB 07-028 Pinging, Rattling, or Squealing During Light Acceleration” as the noise is a whining or squealing noise. I have a great independent mechanic near me and I could take it to him but is it better to take it to Honda as I have the extended warranty and they would do that work?

Also I’m not sure if my car needs anything else serviced on it because no service codes come up on the panel but for all I know somebody else could have cleared the codes right? I’m used to have a car manual that says 20K service do this, 45K service that, 90K, etc.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated… :)

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
If you have a warranty and Honda will do the work for free, I would take it them. That's what you paid for in an Extended Warranty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The background…

I bought a 3y/36K warranty that covers most all problems that may occur, not including routine maintenance. I’ve never been a person to buy extended warranty but never owning a minivan before and since it was used I decided to buy it. The van runs smoothly and everything inside the car works as it should but I notice a whining sound at low speeds that definitely needs to get looked at. I read through TSB in the “sticky threads” here and it seems like it could be “TSB 07-028 Pinging, Rattling, or Squealing During Light Acceleration” as the noise is a whining or squealing noise. I have a great independent mechanic near me and I could take it to him but is it better to take it to Honda as I have the extended warranty and they would do that work?

Also I’m not sure if my car needs anything else serviced on it because no service codes come up on the panel but for all I know somebody else could have cleared the codes right? I’m used to have a car manual that says 20K service do this, 45K service that, 90K, etc.

:)
Question for you! Who (what company) isssued the extended warranty that you purchased from the dealer? Fidelity Warranty Services,Warranty Direct, etc? I assume and doubt that it is a Honda Care warranty based on the age and mileage on the vehicle you described. Read the contract carefully and see if you can take it to any mechanic, not just the dealer you purchased it from. If that is the case, the independent mechanic would be the first choice if it was me,(for routine maintenence) but if you have to have a recall done, then you HAVE to go to a dealer. That would also probably be best for a TSB. It's your call otherwise, depending on how the contract is written.

In terms of a maintenance schedule, do a search for "Maintenance Minder" in this forum and "Honda Maintenance Minder " on an Internet search engine and you will see what the various codes mean and what services are recommened based on the codes that appear. It is triggered by the computer on your car. My local Honda dealer has a brochure that lists the codes and recommended services and also on their website. See if yours does also. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I need to see who my warranty with... Im going to take it in to the dealership next week for two recalls that weren't done. Then I'll see about going to my mechanic for the noise I'm hearing at low speeds/light acceleration. I also found out that I have a $100 deductible if I go to the dealership or Indy shop with extended warranty work but the place I bought the car from will wave the deductible if I use them. However I don't know if they are good or not as they sell cars they aren't a shop.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I also found out that I have a $100 deductible if I go to the dealership or Indy shop with extended warranty work but the place I bought the car from will wave the deductible if I use them. However I don't know if they are good or not as they sell cars they aren't a shop.
Yep.Sounds like the typical third-party, non-manufactuer, extended warranty.Keep very good records of service done on your vehicle, and make sure that the $100 deductible is per visit, not per claim. I was victimized by a dealer when I bought my Accord and have one from Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc. At least it did pay on the one claim I submitted. I would be leery of anyone besides a Honda dealer or an experienced independent mechanic familiar with Honda working on my vehicle. Who would the auto broker refer you to? I would rather pay the $100 and go the dealer or Indie shop.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Look at the threads relating to power steering pump issues. It's a common cause of whining in Odysseys. I owned two 2005 models and the one I traded on my current 2012 still had the damn whine the day I traded it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep.Sounds like the typical third-party, non-manufactuer, extended warranty.Keep very good records of service done on your vehicle, and make sure that the $100 deductible is per visit, not per claim. I was victimized by a dealer when I bought my Accord and have one from Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc. At least it did pay on the one claim I submitted. I would be leery of anyone besides a Honda dealer or an experienced independent mechanic familiar with Honda working on my vehicle. Who would the auto broker refer you to? I would rather pay the $100 and go the dealer or Indie shop.
You're right about it being third party...it's through "Warranty Solutions" which is Wachovia Warranty Corp the service contract provider. The deductible is per visit not per claim. The auto broker said they could do the work themselves...although now that I think about it i'm sure you're correct that they must send me to someone. I'll get clarification about that. The good news is that the auto broker I used is very well respected around here and gets really good reviews. Also they are even bringing out a new drivers side front-door trim and new side skirt and are installing it right at my house. They seem to want to aim to please. I was worried that as soon as I bought the car they wouldn't be as nice as when they were selling me at the van.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at the threads relating to power steering pump issues. It's a common cause of whining in Odysseys. I owned two 2005 models and the one I traded on my current 2012 still had the damn whine the day I traded it
Does it only happen at lower speeds and not while turning? When I called Honda about my outstanding recalls on the vehicle they said at first that there were three. I only knew of two of them but the third she said was a power steering pump recall for my van...then she backtracked and said only if it was a problem on my car was it a recall which seem strange.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

So I took my van to Honda to do the warranty work and while it was there had them look into the sound. According to Honda they said it was a loose heat shield under the car on the muffler system. They couldn't pinpoint it though because they said there was too much rust on the heat shield and most likely it would break if they opened it up. Since it wasn't anything that was damaging the car they suggested i didn't fix it.

So now I need to decide if I should have my mechanic fix this or of I should attempt to fix it, I see there is also others with this problem on OdyClub.

Any of you out there done this or had this fixed before?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts