Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry, im new to this and hope im doing it correctly....

i have an oil leak and hove gone through the normal issues.... filter, drain bolt and vtec gasket, none have been the problem. so i figured it must be the oil pan gasket??? so this morning i got up early and started to fix it. first thing i realized is that the exhaust had to dropped and thats done. then i proceeded to unbolt the oil pan, break the seal and thats when i realized i have a bigger problem and am looking for help. it appears that i have to drop the subframe to remove the oil pan. please let me know as i need to get it put back together.... Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
It might not be the oil pan gasket .

It could very well be the rear main seal (real crankshaft seal) too . This would require removal of the transmission . It looks like that I will facing that task soon with my 2000 Odyessy LX with 110k miles .
Ant tips beyond the factory manual and Haynes manual are appreciated .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has that been your experience or understanding? i was just hoping that were not the case and was willing to try others to see if id get lucky.

but do you know, is that correct, does the subframe have to drop to remove the pan???

·
Registered
355 Posts
More often than not it is the rear main seal that leaks not the oil pan gasket. Unfortunately with the rear main you have to drop the tranny. I believe I'm one of the few who have had a leaky oil pan but it was do to switching to synthetic at 80k plus miles. Even then the rear main started leaking first, along with pretty much every other gasket as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts