Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!

Just broke off a rusty brake bleeding nipple at the rear brake knuckle. it was pb blasted but it still just snapped off when trying to unthread it to bleed the brake lines.
I am planning to try to extract it with a screw extractor on Monday after I can get a replacement nipple from Honda.
Any tips on geting the little bugger out?

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
jesujoma, I just had to remove a broken grade 8 bolt in an aluminum block. I had to do a lot of searching online, and came up with this:

-If possible, try some heat first; this may break the corrosion bond.
- Get some left-handed drill bits, if needed.
- As you mentioned, the correct size E-Z-out.

I had to get a right-angle drill, but you've got enough room for a regular variable speed reversible drill, should you need it (i.e., if you have to drill a somewhat larger hole through that bleeder screw to fit an E-Z-out). Just the vibration and heat from drilling was enough to break loose the bolt from its hold on the threads in my case....and because I was using left-handed bits, when the bit "grabbed" a little, the problem piece started to unthread.

Since the bleed screw is physically all the way in, I don't see where using a regular right-hand bit will hurt, should you have to drill out the center of the bleed screw a little.

By the way, I recommend propane gas. I don't recommend using MAPP gas unless you're comfortable using it; you could (possibly) melt some aluminum. Good luck.

OF

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ouch. If the corrosion was bad enough to do this, you may as well need rear brake caliper while you're at it. I'd just get one at the parts store and turn this in as a core.

Of course you may using skill and tools get it out and keep on gettin, but time is money too.

I'm glad we don't have salt on the roads. Bought a car from Ohio that had only been up there a few years and had to replace the rear brake lines and power steering lines from rust, and the fuel line isn' t far behind. Never again...stay in the south!;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
how about some penetrating oil prior to any drilling or using easy outs..

·
Registered
606 Posts
pb blaster OP mentioned using is one of the best penetrating oils out there.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Dirkdaddy said:
....If the corrosion was bad enough to do this, you may as well need rear brake caliper while you're at it....
All true. However, you'd be surprised how little corrosion it can take to make one of these little guys almost unmovable.

OF

Edited for: shpelling

·
Registered
519 Posts
dirk,, my bad, didn't know PB blasted was a penetrating oil.

if an easy out wont work, then unless you absolutely need to bleed this caliper, swap it for new and call it a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, Guys thanks for the tips,

I think that I would like to get the nipple out as the other brake lines were very dirty when flushed. I don't think that the previous owner to me has not flushed for a while. It will have to be done sooner or later.
I'll give the ez out a try and if it doesn't work I'll be shopping for a new caliper.

Blessings,

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New calipers put in on the rear today. Glad to get it bled out it was quit dirty.
Thanks for your input all.

Jeff:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts