Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 exl with 185k broke down yesterday. She might be dead but I hope I can make her go a big further.

Yesterday she was low on oil so I topped it off. Suddenly the vsa/limp mode came on. I pulled over and turned her off and back on. I made it to the next stop light and it came on again. Now every time I come to a stop it goes into limp mode. Well i was only a few miles from home so I tries to limp there. The power loss got worse and worse and it started to make a nasty rattling sound, until I couldnt make it up the hill, and then she started dying when I applied the brakes. I parked it and came back when she cooled off (I noticed that it doesnt start limping till it warmed up a bit). I was able to get her home.
Codes: p2646 p2647 p0304 p0305 p0306 p0300

Background: I bought this van last year. The rings were toast on the rear head, vcm vs. I pulled the head and dropped the piston, cleaned and reringed it. All was well, drove it to Mexico and back put on 15k miles without much issues. The p2647 came on regularly but other then that no problems. Comp test is good across all cylinders.

Today I started wrenching and found metal shavings in the spool valve screen. I have seen a little bit in the past (brass colored) and figured my bearing were failing. Now i have both silver and brass colored shavings.
Not sure what to test next, and direction would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the tripple post, I thought I was editing but I guess I made new posts. I cant figure out how to delete the other 2

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am confuesed by the missfires on all the cylinders of the front head. I expected the rear head to crap out as it was gunked to hell when I pulled it to rering. The top side of the head was caked with thick sludge and the cylinder side was covered in carbon. I figure the rear head would need to be replaced soon. But I was not expecting the front to start failing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any direction would be helpful...
I am thinking bad camshaft. I am pulling the valve covers to inspect.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That looks like rods or main bearings and something else. I would take off your oil pan

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah that will do it. Have you ever had a valve adjustment to the van? I am wondering if the cam position sensors went bad. Maybe that's why you were having so many issues. I'm just putting stuff out there

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts