Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cast bolt (the 14mm bolt that is to be used with a serpentine belt tool to push on and remove tension) of my NEW Gatees tensioner became stripped as I was trying to install a new belt. Are there any recommendations on what I can do to release the tension ? I could never actually fit a bolt in the tight spot and used a serpentine belt tool with a crows foot attachment... big mistake!

I am nearly done replacing the alternator, belt and tensioner, replacing with all new parts. I had installed a new tensioner and alternator and am at the point of installing a new belt.

I used a serpentine belt tool with a 14mm rounded crows foot to release the tension several times as I worked the belt on. I was a one-man show in doing this so I had to do this several times. Anyhow, the cast bolt is deformed on two edges and won't work with the crows foot, and can't get a socket on it due to the tight space.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I always use the 14mm combination wrench /box end and a 15mm combination wrench/ open end locked together to push that tensioner up. If the bolt on the tensioner has no more corners and it won't bite, I guess you can try locking pliers. Or just change the tensioner altogether. Its held by 2 10mm bolts on both ends and an 8mm in the middle of the pulley. The dip stick holder needs to come off - 10mm bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always use the 14mm combination wrench /box end and a 15mm combination wrench/ open end locked together to push that tensioner up. If the bolt on the tensioner has no more corners and it won't bite, I guess you can try locking pliers. Or just change the tensioner altogether. Its held by 2 10mm bolts on both ends and an 8mm in the middle of the pulley. The dip stick holder needs to come off - 10mm bolt.
Got it to work with a smorgasbord of box end wrenches and such as you suggested.
One more thing now - The PS pump is making a loud noise. I removed the ps hose from the reservoir to the pump @ the pump connection while doing all this so I could get some room in there. I put it all back together and started the car and it's making this loud somewhat grinding noise. I added a bit of the right PS fluid but still no avail. I turned the wheels left and right and it works, but that noise is telling me of an obvious problem. I haven't actually driven it away yet.

What to do about the PS pump noise ? Do I have to "bleed" it ?

·
Registered
857 Posts
It could be the rubber O ring needs replacing. Its known to make noise when old. One thats on the pump end. Lots of post on it.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
It could also be the return hose. They get hard with time and so won't seal after being disturbed.

Like the o-ring, it's under negative pressure. So when it leaks, it lets air into the fluid. i.e. there's no visible fluid leak to indicate the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts