Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Ody EX-L

need to get to work and got a puncture on my front o/s tire.

Got the vehicle jacked up and the five bolts off. but the wheel does not come off.

Is there another bolt under the centre decal - if so, how does the decal come off ?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Hit the outsides of the tire to "break" loose the corrosion that is holding the rim to the hub.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Loosely re-attach the 5 lugs, just a bit less than finger-tight.
Lower the van, the weight of the van will usually break the rusty bond.
Now raise the van back up and remove the lugs.

Next time, or better yet, when you have time, apply a bit of antiseize at the hub bore of the wheel (where it meets the hub), it will prevent bonding.
Do this for all 4 wheels (one at a time).

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Loosely re-attach the 5 lugs, just a bit less than finger-tight.
Lower the van, the weight of the van will usually break the rusty bond.
Now raise the van back up and remove the lugs.

Next time, or better yet, when you have time, apply a bit of antiseize at the hub bore of the wheel (where it meets the hub), it will prevent bonding.
Do this for all 4 wheels (one at a time).
This is a lot safer than what I said. :nice:

·
Registered
186 Posts
how to get tires off

When I run into that situation I put the lugs nuts loosely on the studs (finger tight) and then drive the van (very slowly) over a curb/rough surface with some hard braking to "break" the wheel off the hub without damaging the rim or ruining the threads on the studs. This is a pretty effective and safe method that has worked for me on many occasions while I helped others remove their wheels.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I turn away from the tire, then "mule kick" it on the outside edge. If that doesn't work, then I grab a rubber mallet and smack it on alternating sides. (BTW, if you make sure one lug nut is still lightly on, the wheel won't jump off at you!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try these to avoid the problem in the future. They're available from Bavarian Auto (bavauto.com) in the wheel and tire section. Most BMWs have the same bolt pattern as the Odyssey.

Showing products for 2000 740i.

(Click for a larger image) Wheelmates by Kleen Wheels make wheel changes so much easier. These ultra-thin, non-metallic discs install between your alloy wheels and the hat on your brake rotor to help prevent them from sticking together.
Part Number Description Price Qty. 4505 Wheelmates, 5-hole
$ 19.95

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yep. The exact reason hub faces on my 2008 LX are buttered up with Never Seize. The steelies will rust on something horrible. I've had the wheels off so many times (in combination with the never seize), they literally fall right off with the last lug nut.

Joel

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Try these to avoid the problem in the future. They're available from Bavarian Auto (bavauto.com) in the wheel and tire section. Most BMWs have the same bolt pattern as the Odyssey.
Actually, these things sound good on paper but the reality is that: in all vehicles, the seizing happens at the interface between the Hub Bore and the Wheel Bore (i.e. the circular areas); not between the wheel and the surface of the rotor as bavauto said.

A routine thing I do for all of my cars when I buy them new (or used): remove the lugs remove the wheel (one by one), clean the mating surfaces, then apply some antiseize in the Hub bore where it meets the Wheel Bore.
Then use a bit of antiseize on the lugs.
You will never have to deal with seized lugs or seized wheels again.
All it takes is about 5 minutes per wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts