Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, I've ordered a SS EX-NAVI that is going to be built in June for end of June/beginning of July delivery.

However, the concerns about the paint on the SS have made me reconsider the color; I don't want to drive 2 hours to see this van, find out its paint job has serious flaws and have to back-out of it (I won't accept a dealer 'paint-job' on it).

To head off problems I asked the dealer if I could change the color to TW so I won't have this potential worst-case scenario fear (as slight as it might be) when pickiing up my van.

Do (a) any of you guys know if there is a # I can call to talk to Honda directly and ask about changing the order? This still seems like enough time for them to do it or (b) any way I can convince the dealer to change the order? They are insisting that its 'too late' to change it.

I really like this dealership and I don't want to bail out on them by cancelling my order or sound like I'm being flaky about the whole deal because they said they have a hard time selling EX-NAVIs but I feel like I should still be able to get the color I want at this stage.

Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
They are insisting that its 'too late' to change it.</font>
BS. I would consider *everything* negotiable until signing. If they don't make you happy, cancel the order and go somewhere else.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
103 Posts
You are the consumer and as a consumer you have the right to change your order. I changed the color on my van from Canyon Stone Silver to Granite Green a few days after I put a deposit on the CSS without any problems. The only concern you may have is the wait time on the new color you chose. Remember the dealer is still getting a sale just in a different color. Good Luck!!!!

·
1,484 Posts
Yes, you have the right to change your order. You don't want to be stuck w/ something you're not completely happy with.

But think - are basing your decision on pure fact or someone's opinion? How many others have experience the reported problem?

-nemogira

·
Registered
103 Posts
nyvram,

You don't have to take delivery of the SS. At AB it is a refundable deposit. I would ask for it back and then ask Tracy to contact you when the next unclaimed TW EX w/ Navi is allocated (or other color if you are flexible and don't want to wait for a single color).

I am pretty certain they are NOT going to paint that specific SS Ody a different color for you. My understanding from Tracy is that Honda tells the dealer each month or so what their next allocation is: how many, what color, what trim level and scheduled build date. It seems that due to the Ody shortage Honda is allocating and dealers are not ordering Ody's.

As was already mentioned, if you are willing to be patient cancelling the SS and waiting for a TW is the way to go. The only question is whether you want them to hang on to you deposit in the interim.

------------------
Steve
(1 week and counting...)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve,

Did you get a Navi? I'm real curious as to what AB has told you regarding the van as they told me they were ordering mine based on the color I wanted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with Steve. The dealer gets a schedule in advance of what models and colors they are to receive. They in turn match a customer to one on the list. Later they get an updated list with firm production date and the VIN. Sometimes they could trade from the list with another dealer before the van arrives, but would be unusual. It's your $$, get what will satisfy you. The dealer should easily find another customer to replace you on the list. But, like nemogira said, don't let opinion of others influence your color selection. If you really would like SS just wait until it arrives and do a thorough inspection of the paint job. If there's any flaws point them out and refuse to accept the vehicle. It shouldn't cost you anything except the time to wait on another color to be available. Just my $.02 worth.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
196 Posts
nyvram,

Sorry...It appears that I'm the cause of all this anxiety over the SS color. I do take some exception to the statement "don't let the opinion of others affect your decision".
My statement about my van having a lousy paint is a fact, not an opinion, unless of coarse most feel that large variations (blotches) in the finish are ok. Having said that, my opinion is that you take follow the advice and opinions of both nemogira and my_2001ody. They ask the ever important question as to how many have complained about paint quality on the SS. Fact is, not many at all. I have only heard of 5 vehicles identified as having this problem (on this site) and that is a very small number compared to the number of SS models sold. The majority of SS owners are very happy indeed. I was just unfortunate to be one of the few unlucky ones.

You do have a right to change your order at will and arguably even after you have signed a purchase agreement as long as you haven't locked yourself into and signed delivery papers for a specific VIN#. It is a simple matter of inspecting the vehicle when it arrives and accepting or rejecting as you see fit.

The other side of the coin is that if for some reason you decide not to accept the van it will help to send a message to Honda to get this issue (if it is real) resolved. That works towards protecting the Odessey community as a whole.

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I was able to trade the Ody in on any other new Honda for 30 days. For the first week I could take it back and just say I didn't want it anymore.

Check with your dealer and see if they work like that too.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi nyvram,

Just like most of the folks on the board, I also had a pre-order. The diff was that I went through our credit union. They emphasized to us prior to signing up that upon delivery of the van, we should inspect it carefully. And should we find anything not to our liking, we have every right to refuse the vehicle.

I also look at most sales as ... "It's my money you want. It's not yours until I give it to you."

BTW, I have a SS and it has no paint problems.

Good luck.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't want to drive 2 hours to see this van, find out its paint job has serious flaws and have to back-out of it (I won't accept a dealer 'paint-job' on it).
</font>
If you really like the SS better, like my_2001ody, I say take the chance and go for it, inspect it carefully when you go to take possession, and reject it if you see any paint problems. The dealer might squeak, but you are in control of the deal at that point, and they will certainly be able to sell the Ody to someone else. Maybe tomhan can post pictures showing you what to look out for. I would have advised backing out to go for the TW if you were risking plane fare and a 15 hour ride like I am. (okay, that just sent a chill of shock down my spine!)

Did you get a Navi? I'm real curious as to what AB has told you regarding the van as they told me they were ordering mine based on the color I wanted.</font>
That is interesting based on what we all just said. I wonder if they just happened to have one coming in, or if they are obtaining one from another dealer for you, as was previously mentioned. I would call them and get the details. Knowing which method should help your decision. But in either case, you have the right to reject the vehicle if it isn't up to snuff when you examine it. So yeah, you might end up blowing 2 (okay 4)hours, but based on the few problem SS's there seem to be, I like the Odys, I mean odds. We can all advise, but ultimately it is your call...good luck, and keep us posted.

I'm getting an EX, but no Navi. My deal was very straightforward - Tracy posted under Buy/Sell/Trade that they had 2 unclaimed Ody EX's allocated to them and scheduled for a late April build, one GG and the other I think was SS. I chose the GG.

------------------
Steve
(1 week and counting...)

[This message has been edited by sdp (edited 05-04-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL. Yeah, that SS is *still* unclaimed. You could probably get a good deal on it; I won't say what I got as I don't want to spoil the deal on the EX-NAVI, but suffice it to say, these guys agreed to a less-than-MSRP price *very* quickly.

They tried to talk me out of the SS EX-NAVI earlier since they had the SS on the lot. Yesterday evening it was still there.

PS Thank you guys for all your help. I think I'm going to 'risk it'
and go for the SS. It seems like the chances it will have a bad paint job are rather low. This forum is the best! I feel so much more informed about buying the Ody than I have about any other vehicle I've ever bought.

So Chuck, Jim, Tricked, Harry, SDP, etal..thank you folks! I know you didn't build this forum and do all this work just for me...but the effect is the same

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 05-04-2001).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
nvyram,

We took delivery of our SS EX 2 weeks ago and love it! I've inspected the paint job from every angle in every kind of light and
can't find any blemishes. The front doors aren't in perfect alignment with the rear sliding doors, but seems to be the ame on both sides, don't know what a dealer could do to fix it.

Anyway, there is a TW EX-Navi at our dealership that has been there for the past month. I'm sure they are holding out for MSRP, but here in VT/NH, most people dont want the Navigation system. If you are interested, call Gerrish Honda in Lebanon, NH.

------------------
Susan
'01 SS EX, cargo tray
'96 Grand Cherokee
'89 Accord LXi
'89 Kawasaki ZX600R

·
Registered
84 Posts
I remember someone on edmunds last winter saying they had problems with their TW, one person said their salesman said Honda was having problems with that color (probably to make him feel like he wasn't the Lone Ranger). I would imagine all colors have a few screwed up paint jobs to some degree, but the odds are in your favor. You can enhance those odds by carefully inspecting the vehicle before doing the actual purchase. Sometimes it can be more difficult if you are buying at night in the rain (I did that once on a blue truck, a couple days later I noticed a real fine white speckling of paint all over the hood and roof from the dealers building being painted, ...they got it off fine with no problem).

I ordered a SS and when it came in, they went ahead and installed all the options. When I went to get it, they tried to get me right to the paperwork. I said I have to test drive it first to see if everything works and if it's acceptable. After doing that, I was then ready to write out the check.

They then sprang that they had to charge me more for the 7/100k/0 HCW because of a price increase Jan. 1st. I had ordered before Jan., and they had agreed to sell it to me for cost @ $750, now they were wanting $875! I told them that was a deal breaker!! LOL, even though I knew at that point (after the price increase), I'd never get it at $750 elsewhere. But it was the principle, when I ordered... Honda didn't have a dealer holdback either which the current one more than compensated for the small lost on the increased cost of the warranty. Anyway, I ended up getting it at their new cost @ $825, plus they knocked a bit off of something else so I ended up only paying $43 more on the whole deal. But even so, that would have normally been enough to walk me. But with the wait and popularity of the Ody, I didn't want to start over again... plus I knew I still was getting a comparatively helluva good deal.

I guess the belabored point I'm trying to make is that you can take your refundable deposit back and walk away for any reason or no reason you want. If the paint or anything else is not acceptable, remember that you were looking for a Honda dealer that would please you when you found that one... you can always find another. Don't worry about making them mad, worry about them making you mad. Before they get your money is when they will be the most accomodating, after they get your money they will be the least helpful. So if the paint or something ain't right at delivery, don't take it until after they make it right or come up with one that is right.

I have a theory that you attract what you fear. I was afraid that $750 was just too good a deal for the warranty, and that's where my fear was realized at delivery. Careful that you don't fear yourself into taking a crappy paint job.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts